Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Roswell '98: 1/72 Post Apoc (XR Bandit update)  (Read 33663 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone (Gaslands Update)
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2023, 07:03:22 PM »
I know Barnes & Noble carries it...so does the Michigan Toy Soldier Shoppe in Royal oak, MI, as well as On Military Matters...

I don’t see it in the BnN site, so maybe they don’t carry it anymore? I do see it on Michigan Toy Soldier. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention. I do have to order a few things from Northstar so I’ll check there as well (though in the UK, but like I said, already need a few other things…)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2023, 11:23:59 PM »
It's been a fair few months, but they have (or at least used to have) them on the racks at the stores...

I get mine through a subscription at OMM...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2024, 04:34:29 PM »
Happy New Year, All!!

Yesterday, I celebrated a birthday so had a few fellas over and rolled into Roswell.

We played the Gaslands Zombie Bash scenario twice. 30 zeds on the table. Player who has run over the most when there are less than 10 left (or end of 3rd turn) wins. Narratively, an alien hive queen of sorts settled into the wreckage of a downed airliner. Her parasitic larvae incubating within and animating the dead from the crash.

I’m pants when it comes to taking pictures during game play. That is… I often forget to do it! So here’s some setup shots with only one or two in-action.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 05:27:58 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2024, 06:26:06 PM »
I have a 20mm table too, the DF minis are just among my favorites! This looks SUPER!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2024, 09:18:32 PM »
I have a 20mm table too, the DF minis are just among my favorites! This looks SUPER!

Thank you!
Going back the first post, years ago, the whole focus of this project is to finally be able to put those classic Perry-sculpted Citadel Dark Future minis to work. Fortunately, they're now joined by some fantastic Mark Cobblestone Gaslands minis and an infusion of Dark Alliance Survivor and Stalker troops. 20mm has become a _great_ scale for post apocalyptic gaming.

I'd love to see the minis on your table, are they posted anywhere?

Thanks for checking this thread out!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 02:25:27 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2024, 05:21:37 PM »
Good to see this project and getting some game time!!  :-*

I have played the Zombie speed bump scenario a couple times with our Sunday evening gaming crew. Of course, our table looked nothing like yours...! Love the idea of the crashed plane, too...

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2024, 05:46:07 PM »
Good to see this project and getting some game time!!  :-*

I couldn't agree more with that!
It's tough as I'm in a very healthy, and active, Blood Bowl league. Most of my gaming time during a year ends up there, but this project is where my heart lies. I've made it a 2024 goal to finish up some models here, get in more Gaslands, but also use these models for Xenos Rampant too.
Here's hoping!

For this scenario, we spaced the zombies too far out so the game was a bit easy. It wrapped early enough for us to setup with zombies placed a bit more strategically...some of these appeared to be "tactical" zombies with how they took to cover. ha! It made for a more thrilling game though. We've also been working with some very easy-to-use house rules for the models on foot with Gaslands. A few more enjoyable games with the house-rule and I might share out.

I'd love to have seen your Gaslands games. Your post apoc table looks amazing, so I can only imagine your Gaslands look as good or hotter.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:39:50 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2024, 12:05:24 AM »
I like that set-up.  Well done!

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2024, 02:37:31 AM »
Great set up.  I love the jeeps and especially that awesome looking destroyed aircraft!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2024, 03:19:48 AM »
I'd love to have seen your Gaslands games. Your post apoc table looks amazing, so I can only imagine your Gaslands look as good or hotter.

Thanks for the kind words -- I really appreciate it. I just finished two more building ruins tonight! A couple coats of clearcoat and I will have them ready for my next post-apoc game.

Actually, the Gaslands is run by my friend Keith. His tables tend to be more functional and less artistic. In fact, I just checked my blog and I have yet to post any pictures from our Sunday evening Gaslands games...which actually surprises me. I always take photos. I guess I was just really busy and never got around to creating a blog entry from them.  ???

But wait...there's more! I just checked Keith's blog and he did a post from a Zombie speed bump Gaslands Game he rand this summer. You'll see what I mean by functional if you check out the link below. Of course, my blog link is in my signature...  :D lol
http://orcafinnbasement.blogspot.com/2020/07/my-gaslands-vehicles.html

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2024, 04:42:18 PM »
Thanks, all, for the kind words!

@mikedemana - I see what you mean, but hey, it's cool to have other gamers in the group provide tables. I'd play on those if a buddy offered. In my area, I'm the guy putting all the tables and games together. I've resigned myself that there's some settings I just won't get to game... not enough resources for one fella. The obvious downside to just me... more work (but i don't really mind that) and not a lot of game variety. The upside... we're _always_ playing something I want to play ;)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone (Obstacles added)
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2024, 05:50:43 PM »

Playing some games of Gaslands recently, I realized that I needed a few more obstacle types. I determined that I needed markers to represent vehicles that get wrecked, but I also wanted some destructible terrain.

As my Gaslands vehicles have oop models and weapons hanging on and around them, I didn’t feel comfortable setting the cars upside down or on their side when wrecked. I decided I’d just make some cheap wrecks. In true B-movie fashion the cars we use to film driving are not the same we’re blowing up. Hehehe. I didn’t use the $10 Greenlight 1:64 cars for the wrecks, but just some generic looking Matchbox vehicles. I went ahead and used the same base size, so the wrecks retain the same footprint as when they were in action.

Wrecked bikes was a little trickier. I didn’t have spare bikes, so I opted to just go with a few tires. These markers are a bit less thematic, but they do allow a driver to stand on the wreck, per our pedestrian house rules. Like the cars, I used the same size bases as the bikes to retain the same collision footprint for the obstacle.

I have dry tumbleweeds on my Gaslands table, but we’ve only used them for visual appeal. I came across some train cactus packs (maybe HO scale?) and realized I could base some of them for clear collision contact and have some destructible obstacles. Destructible obstacles are unlike rocks and wrecks in that colliding with them will remove them from the game, but a driver will take hazard tokens. For other games, such as Xenos Rampant, these cactuses will serve as scatter terrain as shown above.

The cactuses are a little more vibrant green than maybe the rest of the colors on my table, but they’ll be scattered about a bit, so shouldn’t make the table look too lush. With both of these though, I’ve got all the obstacles I need for future games and won’t have to proxy anymore.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:53:13 PM by Mr. White »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone (Obstacles Added 01.13.24)
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2024, 06:55:47 PM »
All that stuff looks good.  Well done!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2024, 08:08:59 PM »
Looks great! I want to drive a car on that table...!!  :-*

Great ideas on the wrecks, too...

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2024, 07:31:01 PM »
Thanks, both!

I hoped the wrecks were designed and painted in a way to serve double duty. I want them to play as wrecks in Gaslands, but as scatter terrain in Xenos Rampant. If I modeled fire/smoke on them, like recent wrecks, they'd look better for Gaslands, but might not work for XR. If I added more rust and vegetation, like they've been sitting out awhile, they'd look better for XR scatter terrain, but look too stale to be a recent Gaslands wreck.

I hope I found a happy medium.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:37:24 PM by Mr. White »