Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roswell '98: 1/72 Post Apoc (XR Bandit update)  (Read 33373 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 1/72 (09.05.21 Update)
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
Called Jade Dragon, I think it was a later one. Not home to check.

I didn't read the later set of novels. I think these came out in the mid 2000s? I did read all of the Kim Newman ones though. I'll try to track down a copy of Jade Dragon. Thanks!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 1/72 (09.05.21 Update)
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2021, 07:47:01 PM »
Full Leather Jacket

My last Roswell update featured the cyber ninja Gaslands vehicles. Usually, I like to follow up a vehicle post with the post on the same gang’s foot models to use with Zona Alfa. My son and friends saw my car collection and want to try some Gaslands soon, so I’m going to shift gears and wrap up the vehicles for a few more gangs, then go back to the foot models. Here’s the fifth gang, The Independents.

Again the vehicles are from Greenlight’s 1:64 line. A set of Ford Mustang Cobras from the Black Bandit line. The opened top ride is a 1978 Ford Mustang II King Cobra. The closed top a 1976 Ford Mustang II Cobra.The motorcycle from Citadel’s Dark Future line.

Most of my gangs use driver models from the recent Copplestone Gaslands range. This gang however is 100% Citadel Alan Perry Dark Future, and has the first female driver in my set. I do wish the modern Copplestone collection had a better mix of genders, but I’ve sourced several ladies in 20mm (1/72…whatever) so have found ways to make due. The maniac blasting away with his pistol was a foot model I cropped off of his base and glued in to the car to ride shotgun. The Citadel Dark Future line has a healthy number of street warriors in leather jackets. It was a no-brainer for me to have them all in jeans. Hmmm….

I went with the Black Bandit versions of the cars because I wanted the vibe of the muscle cars to have that same sort of leather jacket, rock’n’roll look. It’s a little frustrating that the driver of the closed top can hardly be seen at all. This is the curse of including drivers though. Sometimes, they just aren’t seen. The dude is another long haired, leather jacketed, jeans wearing road warrior from the Citadel driver range.

Here’s a few parting shots of the latest gang auto dueling with cultists and blitzing through zeds.

The Independents of Roswell '98....Hey! Ho! Let's Go!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:53:06 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 1/72 (11.14.21 Update)
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »
The New Traditionalists

The last gang to cruise the wasted waves of Roswell are The Scientists. I went back and forth the most with this gang on what I could do to have them ride apart from the others. Originally, I was going to go with trucks and hitches to haul UFO artifacts. It ended up looking a little too much like a gang of bootleggers or something. When it dawned on me that a van was a vehicle I hadn’t used yet, the gang materialized.

Though this gang is cruising Roswell for alien artifacts, they aren’t looking to revere them like The Cultists, but to incorporate and use the foreign technology. I played with the idea of their vehicles being hover cars using technology that was reversed-engineered of sorts from crashed UFOs. However, as I want to play Gaslands pretty casually, I didn’t want some hover models confusing players wondering if they behave differently. I think the Hot Wheel vehicle above came out pretty well, so maybe I’ll revisit the idea of hover cars for that Mars Racing variant of Gaslands.

If the last gang I completed, The Independents, are the rockers this gang is the nerds. As this whole project is a chance to work with my various inspirations, the yellow jumpsuits of early DEVO was a good color choice. It also gives this gang a visual color separation from the others.

That blue hover car…I found the same Hot Wheel car, but in silver. Silver appears to be a good contrast to the yellow jumpsuits. The car also has black trim and a red triangle. With the triangles on the back of the Copplestone Corporation gang minis, this was perfect. The drivers above L to R are: three Gaslands Copplestone Corporation drivers, a Dark Future driver in the performance car, and a motorcycle from the Northstar Implements of Carnage plastic sprue.

I found a Greenlights 1976 GMC van also in silver. Going back to my original post on this project, i want the tabletop to look like a straight-to-video movie. No fancy Fury Road conversions or crazy upgrades, this is low rent B-movie fare. The upgrades to the vehicles are few to keep the production under budget. I do have each vehicle with a component of that glowing green from the UFO in the background. I’m probably going to have the van’s weapon be a Death Ray. Makes sense. The car and motorcycle maybe nitro boosters or something.

A shot of that second van rider poking out to keep the Highway Patrol away. I needed something different besides another rider sticking out the top. The shotgun dude poking his SMG out the front window is also a variation so it’s not another guy hanging out the side window.

Taking from the wreckage. Possession is the game in Roswell ’98.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 1/72 (12.10.21 Update)
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2021, 10:34:50 AM »
Cool project

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2021, 04:05:15 PM »
I love what you've done with this project. Nicely themes and with some really cool vehicles and figures  :-*

This has got me thinking about which direction I want to take my Zona Alfa games.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2021, 06:41:58 PM »
More impressive gangs really great take on dark future in my opinion .

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »
Thanks, all, for taking a look. I'm glad the Dark Future roots are coming through the project and it's not too modern looking.

@Bullshott - looking forward to what flavor of Post Apoc wasteland you settle on.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2021, 09:00:10 PM »
A DEVO reference makes me love this project even more!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »
Scientists on Foot

Despite my plans to move onto a few other minis, I had fun working on the vehicles for this gang, so decided to just continue on and wrap up their foot models as well.

The bulk of the gang is made up of Mark Copplestone’s “Corporate Team” for the Gaslands line from Northstar Miniatures. I’m using them with more of a ‘scientist’ bent, so they’ll be used as the Scientists gang in games of Zona Alfa, and if I were to use sponsors in Gaslands (not planning to for early games) I’d have them as Mishkin.

Here’s that Copplestone leader mini flanked by two Elheim 1/72 (20mm) minis. On our left, a sci-fi female (from the Dy and Mari pair) who fits the look close enough, and on the right a Hazmat Suit from the Survivor group 10 set.

Rounding out the gang is a Dark Future model on the left and a Reaper XairBots (Small). The three models in Reaper’s Xairbots line fit in really well with 1/72 minis. The Medium robots, I use as zone hostiles on the side of the aliens and UFOs. Including a robot in this gang, pushes the budget slightly past the straight-to-video, but I’m thinking it fits with films such as Hardware. I do wish I had some small tank treads though as I would have cut the robot at the waste and used treads instead of legs.

Clearing Zone Hostiles from a crash site.

Salvaging artifacts from the latest hot spot.

The Scientists ready to understand, and control, the goings-on around Roswell ’98.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Got in a three player game of Gaslands this weekend using my Roswell ‘98 setting. We went with about 50cans each for three vehicles to include a motorcycle each. We had a blast racing through the Death Race scenario. There were only two vehicles functional racing towards the last gate… a motorcycle and my highway patrol bronco trying to gun it down. Using the new evade rules, the motorcycle was difficult to shoot down and zoomed past the final gate for the win.

New evade rules: https://gaslands.com/rd-evades/

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Great looking game!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Great looking game!

Thanks! I put my cultist gangers around the final gate, simply for thematic effect. We didn't have them taking pot shots at drivers or anything, but they helped give the board a wild, badlands feel.

After having most of this painted for over a year, it was nice to finally get a game in. It was my first game of Gaslands. Very smooth playing game. I still have a little to wrap my head around with the shift dice mechanic, but everyone else seems to grasp it easily, so it's just me. The game played fast, so I feel it's worth learning. I'll get there!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:56:41 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
I'm glad you posted about your game - it let me discover this thread!  :o

I also read your entries for the Roswell project on your blog. That's some fantastic stuff!

I am also inspired by the Warriors, and have been running games for it using my Mean Streets gang warfare rules. If you want to check out a completely different direction, check them out.
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/search/label/Gang%20Warfare

Interestingly, I have a separate Post-Apocalyptic project I am working on, as well. Anyway - this thread is a fantastic read and I love your gangs!

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 1/72 (12.22.21 Update)
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2022, 01:21:24 AM »
I'm glad you posted about your game - it let me discover this thread!  :o

I also read your entries for the Roswell project on your blog. That's some fantastic stuff!

I am also inspired by the Warriors, and have been running games for it using my Mean Streets gang warfare rules. If you want to check out a completely different direction, check them out.
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/search/label/Gang%20Warfare

Interestingly, I have a separate Post-Apocalyptic project I am working on, as well. Anyway - this thread is a fantastic read and I love your gangs!

Mike Demana

Thanks for checking this thread out and providing the words of encouragement. I've got a number of models I still need to work on for this, but you know how this hobby goes. Hopefully, I'm going to be able to focus my hobby down to just a few projects, with this being one.

I'll check out your Mean Streets posts for sure and am interested in what direction you take your post apocalypse project in. Be sure to share!

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Roswell '98: A North American Exclusion Zone in 1/72 (12.22.21 Update)
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2022, 03:51:30 PM »
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before there's some great minis in there Jack Hooligan. Got a tonne of inspiration for my collection. Glad to see someone using minis I got Elhiem to commision too it's great.