Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jagannath's 20mm Post Apocalypse and Gaslands - 24/1/21 Warboys! (ish)  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Hullo all,

Thought I should put my money where my mouth is and start posting some of my 20mm PA and Gaslands stuff - starting with my newly finished not-Warboys from Northstar

I should probably prattle about this project a bit - I held off for quite a while, not wanting another scale but having dabbled realised how great these minis are to paint. If availability and compatibility wasn't a consideration, I think this would be my favourite scale frankly. They're easier to paint that 15s, but much quicker than 28s.

I'm not being conceptual for this project, just painting for fun so it will probably oscillate between a nearfuture type vibe through to Mad Max through to Fallout. I want to game using FiveCore, so building little teams suitable and then I'll add accompanying cars suitable for Gaslands. For the that don't know fivecore it's very generic and 'even' - really rewards good use of cover and flanking, so fun for modern shooter type stuff where there aren't heroics.

As I did with 15s a while ago I've figured out an appropriate proportion/scaling for Herforge so I can add to the Copplestone selections and design other minis as I need them - the chap in the back of the jeep is exactly that.

I quite like the idea that in the post apocalypse it's all a bit Cosplay, so I'm going to paint the police next but with the idea that they're not 'the law', just a gang who style themselves that way. I'll do a similar 'Army' gang too.

I know the inspiration here is meant to be warboys, but I just styled them as general raiders, who've perhaps raided a military base for equipment.

Must admit, still finding my feet with vehicles - trying to find a way to paint them that matches the painting style of my minis (so very weathered/realistic doesn't work) but isn't too precise or cartoony either. Think this one worked.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:09:58 PM by Jagannath »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Jagannath's 20mm Post Apocalypse and Gaslands - 24/1/21 Warboys! (ish)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »
 :o :-* ;D

This is incredible! Your brushwork is so smooth and the lighting for the photos are just perfect. Such a great look you have here with the dirt on the pants, boots, and truck. Puts my project to shame, ha!

I agree with you on the PA cosplay. I feel the same way about the gangs such as the Highway Patrol, the Corporation, Wasteland Warriors, etc. They could be the real deal, or simply survivalist dressed up as cops, a race team, or warboys, it's all up to the players for me.

Very nice figure in the back of the truck by the way. Jealous! What are you using for the bases? Initially, I didn't want to do bases on my vehicles, but I think I will. It makes use of the Gaslands templates easier plus I can put magnets in the bases so the cars also fit in my magnetized storage. The truck looks fantastic, by the way. Who is the maker?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:39:26 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
Cheers dude - I really like what you're doing with yours, so we'll egg each other on!

Bases are 18mm MDF, 3mm thick with a magnet hole (more than one for the car) it's how I base everything, magnet storage all the way for me too - I know bases are divisive, but I quite like thick bases. I like vehicles based too. For this project I don't think I'll be basing terrain though (got quite a lot printed to be cracking on with).

My lighting is actually just my two painting lights - quick and easy!

Can't remember the exact model but it's one of the Hotwheels landrover defenders - I printed out some new wheels, and engine block and the lamps for it the stuck the passenger in.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 02:40:45 PM »
Nice work  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 03:04:51 PM »
Lovely paint job. That Landrover is ace.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »
Thanks both, they were good fun - looking forward to finishing more now!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 01:27:55 PM »
What colors do yo use for the bases? I’m digging the light, dusty sand color.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 01:56:03 PM »
What colors do yo use for the bases? I’m digging the light, dusty sand color.

Ah my magic basing recipe! I paint the bases thoroughly in Vallejo Air Sand (Ivory) (71.075)
Then I glaze them with a glaze I make mixing vallejo PU gloss varnish and a beige colour (about 1 part paint 5 parts gloss).
Then I matte down.

The dustiness is an oil wash I mix up (though I'm sure you could do with acrylic), so my order goes:

Finish painting mini
Gloss varnish the mini
Oil wash the legs
Texture the base
Paint
Glaze
Matte the whole thing :)