Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Skirmish Rules 15-28mm - Playtest Thread  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Badlands-Skirmish

• Student
Modern Skirmish Rules 15-28mm - Playtest Thread
« on: January 27, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »
Hello,

I've been working on a set of modern skirmish rules and am now looking for a broader set of play-testers to try it out and shape the game's development. Its been tested by novice and experienced wargamers throughout its development, so should be in a reasonable shape for broader playtesting.

(Obviously, covid is making gaming difficult so no dramas if you're in lockdown or are only able do solo play or just give it a read through at the moment).

The game has been designed to be quick to pick up and has a pretty straight forward core set of mechanics, which can be built upon as players gain experience and familiarity with the system. Units are easy to generate with only 4 core stats to worry about (Shooting, Resilience, Fitness and Proficiency). These enable any action you want the unit to carry out.

Synopsis below:

"Badlands is a modern skirmish wargame set in the world’s ungoverned spaces and conflict zones. The action takes place beyond the wire where no one is safe and the fate of the squad rests on the tactical skill of the players. It can be used to simulate cold war to near future conflicts using 15-28mm figures.

Badlands features:
•   A streamlined activation and combat system.
•   A progressive learning curve, allowing players to master the core mechanics before taking on greater challenges.
•   A playing-card based system, requiring neither dice, nor complicated combat results tables to play.
•   Broad rules that allow players to adapt the game to meet their needs.
•   The game is non-setting specific and allows you to play imagined and real forces from gritty cold war armies, to high tech modern militaries, to agile insurgents."

If you are interested, or have further questions please let me know below or through PM.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:26:25 AM by Badlands-Skirmish »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Modern Skirmish Rules - Playtesters wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
Lurker, myself and my mates are always on the look-out for a decent set of “modern skirmish” rules. Obviously gaming during the pandemic is challenging but we do manage games via Zoom. Before offering to play-test I would like to know how “detailed” they are. We tend to avoid games with masses of detail ( eg wind effect on ballistic performance!), seeking “playability”.

• Student
Re: Modern Skirmish Rules - Playtesters wanted
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:05:12 PM »
The aim was to create a game system that was quick to pick up and play so it's not super detailed by design. Don't worry, there's no factoring in wind direction for smoke, let alone for bullets. The core rules are covered in about 7 pages of content, (including diagrams and examples). The core mechanic is simple - draw a card and check whether it is higher or lower than your target score, if lower or equal then the action is successful - there's no need to keep cross-referencing stats.

If players want to increase the complexity from there, they can do. There is a set of short expansions, which provide resources to add additional meat to different areas of the game. For example, the combat pack covers non-standard weapons, a more detailed damage model, medics and combat tactics. These rules too aren't especially complicated, but they're also entirely optional - if you don't want to play with medics or heavy weapons, you don't need to learn how they work.

Similarly, all weapons have printable cards so you only need the ones your units have in front of you and you can forget about the rest. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:45:05 PM by Badlands-Skirmish »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Modern Skirmish Rules 15-28mm - Playtesters wanted
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:46:36 PM »
I would be interested.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:15 PM »
Lurker, happy to give them a go and provide feedback albeit it may take time dur to COVID-related gaming constraints.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »
Hey, I have been looking for a set of rules for modern skirmishes so I would be happy to give these a try for you.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:20:25 PM »
Can't play but would be happy to proofread.
John

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 07:57:22 AM »
I would be interested too. Can't promise I can get to gaming any time soon other than solo. But I will give them a readthrough and offer my oppinions.

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »
I´m always interested in Modern Skirmish so I would like to give it a try and share my thoughts.

• Student
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »
Thanks all. I think I have PM'd everyone.

I'll send out PDFs of the core rules along with a set of questions/things to consider. If people then want to have a go with the combat pack and/or the other mini expansions we can take it from there. The expansions are less polished, e.g. the combat pack is reasonably done whereas vehicles is way off.   

If other people are interested in playtesting, do still let me know.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 01:12:18 AM »
I'm definitely keen to help out!

I've been using Force on Force and Skirmish Sangin for some time now to game fictional Middle-Eastern conflicts. It would be good to put the collection to use for new rulesets :)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 04:20:45 AM »
When you said "Skirmish" game,
may I ask what number of figures would be on  the table top ?
Thanks for a reply.
Semper Fi, Mac

• Student
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 08:36:30 AM »
When you said "Skirmish" game,
may I ask what number of figures would be on  the table top ?
Thanks for a reply.

That's something I am keen to test. We've tested roughly fireteam to section level engagements and its worked well, but haven't tried platoon vs platoon. It would probably work but (depending on the players) might take a while. Players semi-alternate activation so there aren't long periods where one player has nothing to do.

Currently, the game is card based and if you exhaust your deck the round ends. So theoretically you could play with a company, but you wouldn't be able to activate everyone each turn.

I'm definitely keen to help out!

I've been using Force on Force and Skirmish Sangin for some time now to game fictional Middle-Eastern conflicts. It would be good to put the collection to use for new rulesets :)

Awesome, i'd be very keen for your thoughts given your experience. Also loving your militia, they look serious - what models are they?
We've  just ordered some militia from S&S for photos and play testing, so looking forward to their arrival.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:55:36 AM by Badlands-Skirmish »

• Student
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 11:19:58 AM »
First batch of rules have now been sent so should be in your inboxes.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
Yep, and mi' trigger finger's twitching already...
I think you may be onto something!
The Wild Geese are drawing a bead on the Simbas!

:)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:21:13 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"