Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WOTR thats not WOTR  (Read 3956 times)

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
WOTR thats not WOTR
« on: January 28, 2021, 02:22:33 PM »
Hopefully the click bait question got you checking this out.

My question is during the 30ish year period of the WOTR there were also a number of  other conflicts. Richard Stark (ahem York III) as Warden of the North I believe had conflicts with the Scotish which I believe saw a Scottish king dethroned/beheaded? Also there are various mentions to Rebellions and Peasant uprisings unrelated to the York and Lancaster Feud.

Are these particularly well detailed anywhere and any books (Tv Series/Documentaries) recommended for more information.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer.

Meant this to be posted in Medieval, could a moderator move it please.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:24:52 PM by AdmiralAndy »

Offline Oli

• Schoolboy
Re: WOTR thats not WOTR
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 04:49:46 PM »
You are indeed correct there are a lot of other military events that aren't as directly related to the Wars of the Roses, although to some extent they are.

Late 15th century English soldiers fight for Charles the Bold in his wars in the 1470s and in the Conquest of Granada in the 1480s.

Richard as Duke of Gloucester invades Scotland and captures Berwick in 1482

In 1488 English troops fight in the battle of St Aubin du Cormier in defence of Brittany

in 1488 James III of Scotland is killed by rebellious Barons who put his son on the throne at Sauchieburn.

In 1489 the Calais Garrison and some of Maximillian's Germans assault a French/Flemish rebel camp besieging Dixmuide

in 1492 Henry VII besieges Boulogne but not much happens as he is meant to meet with Maximilian I but Maximilian is short of cash so vanishes!

Perkin Warbeck as a Yorkist pretender (so related to the WOTR) besieges Waterford in 1495, in 1496 invades England (very briefly!) with James IV, and in 1497 assaults Exeter.

1497 is also the year of the Battle of Blackheath following a Cornish rebellion

For books Halls Chronicle covers all of these and is available online https://archive.org/details/hallschronicleco00halluoft/page/292/mode/2up
"The Perkin Warbeck Conspiracy 1491-1499" is also good for lots of these events.
"The Last Knight Errant: Sir Edward Woodville and the Age of Chivalry" will cover the English in Granada and at St Aubin du Cormier.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 05:06:42 PM »
Thanks Oli,

A more informed idea is what I was hoping for.

IIRC with some the Henry VII uprisings was related to a teenage boy claimed to be a descendant of the Yorks or Lancaster's and after it was defeated the boy was taken on a kitchen servant or page.

I'm quite interested in Richard Duke of Gloucester from what I've read the Lancaster's gave Berwick away for some Scottish support. So the campaign to get it back was related to the ongoing Feud. Are there any good accounts of this Scottish campaign, I'm quite interested in learning more about Richard as a competent Battle Hardened commander other than he fought as a 18/19 year old helping defeat Henry VI and then got beat at Bosworth about 15 years later.

Apologies if I'm shredding the facts, but its why I'm interested in learning a bit more.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
This is all pretty cool.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:28:38 AM »
IIRC with some the Henry VII uprisings was related to a teenage boy claimed to be a descendant of the Yorks or Lancaster's and after it was defeated the boy was taken on a kitchen servant or page.

You are probably thinking of Lambert Simnel, who ended up as a figurehead for the Yorkist uprising that was defeated in 1487 at the battle of Stoke Field, which is often considered to be the last battle of the Wars of the Roses. The forces of the "Yorkist pretenders" in this battle featured significant contingents of continental mercenaries and Irish.

As for other English military events in the later half of 15th century, I could add the following to the list by Oli:

1450: Jack Cade's rebellion results in a rebel force marching to London, where they are defeated.

1475: English forces land in Calais with the intent of assaulting France in cooperation with Burgundy and Bretagne, though instead of major military actions this eventually leads to a treaty with France (but there is plenty of potential for what-if battles).

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
Do you specifically want English armies, conflicts on British soil? Or are you open to crossing the channel and doing something European? If the latter, there are no end of options...

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
Do you specifically want English armies, conflicts on British soil? Or are you open to crossing the channel and doing something European? If the latter, there are no end of options...

Mainly on British/Scottish soil.

Its the conflicts that the Yorks/Lancasters where involved in that weren't against each other. But to get a better idea on just how turbulent those decades where.
May also shed some light on the supporters of each house and there feuds with each other.

Is there much available about the 1450 Uprising as that predates the formal start of the WOTR.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
    • Tenka Fubu: Sengoku Jidai 'blog
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »
More a subject for skirmishes, but there were also the feud within the Neville family in the 1430's, the Neville-Percy feud in the early 1450's which spilled over into the WOTR, and included a battle at Stamford Bridge in 1454 and the Bonville-Courtenay feud leading to a 'battle' at Clyst Heath in 1455.

Offline AndyC

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:52:56 PM »
Don't forget the Lisle-Berkeley feud and the battle of Nibley Green , Gloucestershire (1470). England's last battle between private armies.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 05:59:19 PM »
Is there much available about the 1450 Uprising as that predates the formal start of the WOTR.

That uprising is not really in my field of expertise, though I understand that part of the reason was the loss of Normandy, where many Englishmen had held lands or offices, to the French crown in 1449-1450.

There is a Wikipedia page that provides a summary of the events and a list of references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cade%27s_Rebellion

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 06:47:05 PM »
As a further question on the excellent replies which is much appreciated.

Is there a good reference to how a Scottish army would appear at this time?

Breakdown of troops with or without kilt? Any suggested range which would suit, that sort of thing if people can share.

Thanks.

Offline Armstrong47

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
Just googled the Battle of Nibley Green,and it would make for a brilliant "Lion Rampant" scenario.
Coupled with the release of the new Athena Minis War of the Roses range, it's the final push I need to take the plunge and start a WotR collection.
Andy
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »
Just googled the Battle of Nibley Green,and it would make for a brilliant "Lion Rampant" scenario.
Coupled with the release of the new Athena Minis War of the Roses range, it's the final push I need to take the plunge and start a WotR collection.
Andy

Glad to see this has piqued another's interest :)

I should mention that Lion Rampant is pretty much the Ruleset I'd be looking at, as I have the LR Kingmaker rules by Mr Mersey from Wargame Soldiers Strategy Number 74 (I Think), and the more recent issue of Miniature Wargames which had a LR WOTR Battle of Blore Heath with some further unit and rules tweaks.

You might want to check out Never Mind The Billhooks cards, as LR has nothing further happening on double 1 or double 6 unlike Pikeman Lament and the cards give an idea of some further special events table to put together. There's also some interesting ideas about limited arrow supply and limited cavalry charges which I might see about blending in as well.

That's my view anyway, and all the above is easily obtainable with PDFs if you don't want to pay the extra for hardcopy.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 11:28:59 AM »
I'm looking into the pro-Lancastrian French invasion of Jersey in 1460/1, a period of skirmishes between Yorkist locals, and its final recapture by a combined force of locals led by Seigneur Philippe de Carteret and English troops led by Sir Richard Harliston in 1468.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 12:39:21 PM »
The Bonville- Courtenay feud that took place in the West Country and culminated with the 'Fight at Clyst' may be of interest. There's a wiki article here that gives a good overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonville%E2%80%93Courtenay_feud