Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tang Chinese  (Read 4892 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Tang Chinese
« on: January 30, 2021, 04:52:38 AM »
Does anyone share my mounting irritation that these aren't to be had in 10mm?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Tang Chinese
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 05:28:45 AM »
Not really, or maybe I should say "not surprising". IMHO Chinese or other "Far Eastern" ancient/medieval armies are generally poorly served in any scale. I would be hard-pressed to think of many manufacturers , with the exception of 1st Corps/Curteys in 28mm and Essex in 15mm, who produce more than one or two ranges, with Warring States, generic "Asian Nomad and Mongol being the usual fare. 28 and 15mm have been around for decades, and to some extent by comparison 10mm is the "new kid on the block". It could be down to the lack of readily available well-illustrated sources in English.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:35:56 AM »
As you say, no surprise involved. Irritation remains.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:13:07 AM »
Probably far too niche. Who are you considering as opponents? Going purely historical limits it further so I see no end to your irritation unfortunately. There a couple of figures in other ranges such as the Irregular Sung and East Riding WS that could be used as proxies but it would be a very limited looking army.

Personally I want Taiping and Boxer Rebellion and I am sure my only way out will be to commission a sculptor
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »
Probably far too niche. Who are you considering as opponents? Going purely historical limits it further so I see no end to your irritation unfortunately. There a couple of figures in other ranges such as the Irregular Sung and East Riding WS that could be used as proxies but it would be a very limited looking army.

Personally I want Taiping and Boxer Rebellion and I am sure my only way out will be to commission a sculptor

There's frequent talk about Boxers on the Pendraken forum. Live in hope. As for opponents, I can do dark ages Arabs already, and Tibetans wouldn't be too hard to proxy.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 04:29:49 AM »

I couldn't find the East Riding WS, but did find these, although they would seem to be difficult to obtain:
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/2018/12/10mm-chinese-warring-states-fogg-of-war.html

I would be interested in Taiping, too.

As for Tang, we can only hope. It is unfortunate that the Chinese diaspora and China'a economic development would not yet seem to have motivated the production of such Chinese historical ranges in plastic.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 04:47:53 AM »
I couldn't find the East Riding WS, but did find these, although they would seem to be difficult to obtain:
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/2018/12/10mm-chinese-warring-states-fogg-of-war.html

I would be interested in Taiping, too.

As for Tang, we can only hope. It is unfortunate that the Chinese diaspora and China'a economic development would not yet seem to have motivated the production of such Chinese historical ranges in plastic.

10mm are usually metals anyway. I've got some of the Fogg of War Warring States Chinese; mostly good, and their chariots were better than Newline (a company whose 10mm range is new, but has some Lulus, and at moderate prices too), but their halberdiers were marred by extremely flimsy shafts. I've written to Newline and entreated them to make a few Tang as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:50:12 AM by FierceKitty »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:52:32 PM »
10mm are usually metals anyway. I've got some of the Fogg of War Warring States Chinese; mostly good, and their chariots were better than Newline (a company whose 10mm range is new, but has some Lulus, and at moderate prices too), but their halberdiers were marred by extremely flimsy shafts. I've written to Newline and entreated them to make a few Tang as well.

What particular issues did you find with Newline's 10mm Han?

Oddly enough, I have very recently been in correspondence with Fogg of War about Tang and other Chinese-related possibilities... ;)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
I'm really tempted with Khurasans 15mm ranges and would suggest them as a possible if you're willing to switch up by 5mm.

He does Tang as well as their opponents; Koreans, Kofun/Ritsuryo Japanese and Tibetans. That combined with the large quantity of Arabs/Turk types etc in 15mm you pretty much have all the main opponents/allies for the Tang.   

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 08:01:46 PM »
I'm really tempted with Khurasans 15mm ranges and would suggest them as a possible if you're willing to switch up by 5mm.

He does Tang as well as their opponents; Koreans, Kofun/Ritsuryo Japanese and Tibetans. That combined with the large quantity of Arabs/Turk types etc in 15mm you pretty much have all the main opponents/allies for the Tang.

Yes, Khurasan have been on my "to purchase" list for years. I must resolve to ignore all tempting sales and bargains in order to buy some nice figures at their regular price!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 04:13:10 AM »
What particular issues did you find with Newline's 10mm Han?

Oddly enough, I have very recently been in correspondence with Fogg of War about Tang and other Chinese-related possibilities... ;)

Two. The chariot wheels are solid, with spokes in relief but without empty spaces between them. The Reiver ones had proper spokes, and oh, the difference to me! You might consider converting artillery wheels from elsewhere for the chariots.

The other is negative; no convicts!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:52:09 PM by FierceKitty »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 04:15:27 AM »

Ta. I've done 15mm Tang previously, but the one true scale has my heart these days.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 05:58:26 AM »
Chaps, I've just read the reference to "Fogg of War".  They look nice figures but I can't find a website, only a photo of a figures listing dating back to 2017. Are they still trading and if so how do you contact them/order?

Thanks.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 02:41:59 PM »
They seem to have dropped off the radar. I've tried to track them down; no dice.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 11:02:42 PM »
Chaps, I've just read the reference to "Fogg of War".  They look nice figures but I can't find a website, only a photo of a figures listing dating back to 2017. Are they still trading and if so how do you contact them/order?

Thanks.

I found them by searching the facebook group "10mm Wargaming & Terrain;" and was able to contact one of the owners through messenger. He then sent pictures and a list by email.