Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691355
  • Total Topics: 118390
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tang Chinese  (Read 5033 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Tang Chinese
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 11:32:01 PM »
Chaps, I've just read the reference to "Fogg of War".  They look nice figures but I can't find a website, only a photo of a figures listing dating back to 2017. Are they still trading and if so how do you contact them/order?

Thanks.

Have sent you their email address by PM!

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 06:20:50 PM »
Do Fogg of War have a good range of Chinese? I ended up building Chu and Qin with the Newline Han (with entreaties to expand their range in future with spearmen, archers and militia/rebel types) Like others I'd a hard time finding more than a few grainy old pics online. Are they reasonably compatible?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 08:13:46 PM »
From memory they do/did Eastern and Western ranges. I think mine are Eastern?? They are a little slimmer and the polearms are very bendy but I think they match up quite well.

Some quick crappy phone pics. Fogg on the left, Newline on the right. Last pic is most of the variants of Fogg I have. Hope it helps. You can see what Fierce Kitty means with the chariot wheels.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 08:24:50 PM »
Very nice. They would add some nice variety to my forces. One for when I'm ready for phase 2

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 02:00:39 AM »
Do Fogg of War have a good range of Chinese? I ended up building Chu and Qin with the Newline Han (with entreaties to expand their range in future with spearmen, archers and militia/rebel types) Like others I'd a hard time finding more than a few grainy old pics online. Are they reasonably compatible?

They sent me a catalogue and pictures by email a few days ago. They have very nice-looking Warring States Chinese, Mongols, and Samurai. The pictures show a lot of detail, with two or so figures in each, but they are all at least 1.7 MB, and I'm not sure whether I could share them. If you'd like for me to share their email address, please feel free to send a PM.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 03:20:00 AM »
Mainly Newline, some Reiver, a few Magister Militum, and a very few Pendraken.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 04:33:24 AM »
Mainly Newline, some Reiver, a few Magister Militum, and a very few Pendraken.

That is an impressive force! Which troop types did you raise from among the non-Newline sources - Xiongnu?

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 07:51:37 AM »
PM sent  :)

While not as large as FKs impressive forces (time and space constraints have kept my recent projects small) my Chu and Qin forces are mostly Newline with a few MM Qin spearmen and horse mixed in and some Irregular Sung archers.

Qin

More here: http://mmcvhistory.home.blog/2020/11/02/qin-chinese/

Chu

More here: https://mmcvhistoryhome.wordpress.com/2020/11/16/chu-on-this-chinese/

So the FoW ones might as a nice bit of variety.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 08:43:13 PM »
PM sent  :)

While not as large as FKs impressive forces (time and space constraints have kept my recent projects small) my Chu and Qin forces are mostly Newline with a few MM Qin spearmen and horse mixed in and some Irregular Sung archers.

Which rulesets have you used for ancient Chinese gaming?

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 10:54:38 PM »
Which rulesets have you used for ancient Chinese gaming?

These guys have had a few outings with To The Strongest. Worked reasonably well. I only finished them the end of last year so haven't played much. I did look at putting lists together for Hail Caesar but didn't feel particularly inspired to go further. I've also been dabbling with my own ruleset for mixed arms Japanese warfare and tempted to run these guys with the rules to see how they fare.

How about yourself?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 03:11:07 AM »
That is an impressive force! Which troop types did you raise from among the non-Newline sources - Xiongnu?

There are Reiver cavalry, and one of the chariot forces; Han swordsmen; many of the Ch'in halberdiers (animated figures, but desperately flimsy weapons). The Han convicts are Mag. Mil. peasant levies, the Hsiong-Nu Pendraken Mongols (I shudder to say it, but they painted up convincingly), Navwar ship.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:15:07 AM by FierceKitty »

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2021, 03:49:11 AM »
There are Reiver cavalry, and one of the chariot forces; Han swordsmen; many of the Ch'in halberdiers (animated figures, but desperately flimsy weapons). The Han convicts are Mag. Mil. peasant levies, the Hsiong-Nu Pendraken Mongols (I shudder to say it, but they painted up convincingly), Navwar ship.

I'll likely use Mongols as Xiongnu myself when the time comes.. I've a few Mongols proxying for other nomadic types elsewhere and as far as I could tell the dress and technology of the Steppes didn't really change dramatically for a few millennia, so Mongols seem sensible.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 04:57:08 AM »
You're right, of course. My shudder of horror was based on my irritation at those who cheerfully assume that every steppe tribe or confederation was the same - especially Gibbons' penicious identification of the Huns with the Hsiung Nu. There was probably some connexion, just as in my veins there flows Scottish and Malay blood; I still haven't noticed much tartan or haggis in Kuala Lumpur (more's the pity).

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 05:48:18 AM »
You're right, of course. My shudder of horror was based on my irritation at those who cheerfully assume that every steppe tribe or confederation was the same - especially Gibbons' penicious identification of the Huns with the Hsiung Nu. There was probably some connexion, just as in my veins there flows Scottish and Malay blood; I still haven't noticed much tartan or haggis in Kuala Lumpur (more's the pity).

Did you mean de Guignes? Never mind, I see that Gibbons propagated de Guignes' idea.

Would you know what might have happened to the 10mm Reiver ranges? I can't seem to find them on the Northumbrian Painting Services website.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:29:19 AM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
Would that I knew!