Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New mdf Drive-In Theater from TTC  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
New mdf Drive-In Theater from TTC
« on: October 09, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »
So apparently this thing came out yesterday:

https://ttcombat.com/collections/city-scenics/products/celestial-drive-in-theater

Not quite sure what board this belongs in, Cold War era fits the actual peak popularity of these things, but it feels weirdly Pulp appropriate to me despite that being an earlier period.  Could also fit for Horror gaming and I suppose you could beat it up some and stick it in Post-Apoc.  TTC seems to think they're aimed at Superhero gaming so I'll stick it here.

Regardless, a neat idea for a terrain piece.  Not normally a huge fan of mdf kits but this one's an exception. 

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
Re: New mdf Drive-In Theater from TTC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »
Stick a tablet behind that screen frame and you could watch a film whilst gaming  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 02:55:42 PM »
Stick a tablet behind that screen frame and you could watch a film whilst gaming  lol
Great Idea!
And it can still work for moderns. The Wife and I still go to the local drive in theater here in Vegas at least once a month.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
Great Idea!
And it can still work for moderns. The Wife and I still go to the local drive in theater here in Vegas at least once a month.

Treasure the experience while you can.  They're pretty thin on the ground these days, think the whole US only had about 400 left before the pandemic.  Last local one for me vanished almost 30 years ago.

Doing a supers game where the villain is letting giant movie monsters leave the screen to go on a rampage or grab carloads of innocent moviegoers and drag them into the film might be a cool use for this thing.

Also rather like the idea of cribbing the Frostgrave engine and doing crews made of teenage delinquents brawling with each other during a screening.  Add some rules for variable lighting as the movie progresses (High Noon is bright, the Old Outlaw Cave scene is pitch black).  Maybe add a urban myth mad slasher type as an uncontrolled menace.  Start most of the gangers in random cars throughout the lot and roll each turn to see whether they get out to join the rumble or keep on necking.  Bonus XPs the longer they stay in the car with their date.  Put a loot token in the concession stand to represent the night's take.  Eventually the cops show up and it's time to 23 skiddoo.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
Treasure the experience while you can.  They're pretty thin on the ground these days, think the whole US only had about 400 left before the pandemic.  Last local one for me vanished almost 30 years ago.

Doing a supers game where the villain is letting giant movie monsters leave the screen to go on a rampage or grab carloads of innocent moviegoers and drag them into the film might be a cool use for this thing.

Also rather like the idea of cribbing the Frostgrave engine and doing crews made of teenage delinquents brawling with each other during a screening.  Add some rules for variable lighting as the movie progresses (High Noon is bright, the Old Outlaw Cave scene is pitch black).  Maybe add a urban myth mad slasher type as an uncontrolled menace.  Start most of the gangers in random cars throughout the lot and roll each turn to see whether they get out to join the rumble or keep on necking.  Bonus XPs the longer they stay in the car with their date.  Put a loot token in the concession stand to represent the night's take.  Eventually the cops show up and it's time to 23 skiddoo.

Extending that idea - Perhaps a noise mechanic. Two rival gangs are having a bust up whilst trying to avoid the attention of the local police chief and his crew who have come to keep an eye on the theater.

Each turn the film on show could have a varying noise level , and each action/weapon could generate noise points. The more points you generate, the greater modifier to your "Rumbled" dice - A roll of a D20. A 20 or more alerts the cops to your presence.

Could be fin to map out the noise of films and roll prior to a game to see which gang members have seen the show before and thus can plan their moves accordingly/receive a negative noise token for actions that turn.

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »
Extending that idea - Perhaps a noise mechanic.

Could also use that for (say) using the film noise to cover real gunshots.  Old time radio is full of that sort of thing happening, albeit not so much at drive-ins (which were kind of late bloomers for the radio drama heyday, not to mention being competitors anyway).  I wasn't thinking that lethal for the JD gangs idea, but maybe some kind of assassination/murder mystery plot could use it.  Or an espionage game where the agents left their silencers at home.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 08:16:00 AM »
Could be fin to map out the noise of films and roll prior to a game to see which gang members have seen the show before and thus can plan their moves accordingly/receive a negative noise token for actions that turn.

How about a table to roll a D6 on for each turn, regarding the scenes in the film? For instance:

1 - Exposition/talk scene
2 - (Bar) brawl scene
3 - Romantic scene
4 - Car chase scene
5 - Gun fight scene
6 - Climactic fight scene (with explosions)

And depending on the outcome, the audio environment changes. So shooting a gun during a Romantic scene will alert the cops immediately, but after rolling a 5, they need sixes on their awareness rolls to discern the real from the film noises...

This all sounds a lot like a fun convention game to me... 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 08:26:03 PM »

I’ve seen it done.  It was a Zombie game and they were playing a zombie invasion movie on the tablet.

Offline Talarius

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 08:50:31 AM »
Not quite sure what board this belongs in, Cold War era fits the actual peak popularity of these things, but it feels weirdly Pulp appropriate to me despite that being an earlier period.  Could also fit for Horror gaming and I suppose you could beat it up some and stick it in Post-Apoc.  TTC seems to think they're aimed at Superhero gaming so I'll stick it here.

This kit is very much inspired by an important location in the Fallout 4 video game, so it's most likely use is for Fallout: Wasteland Warfare or similar post-apocalyptic rules sets, but your suggestions are good too.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 10:32:14 AM »
Extending that idea - Perhaps a noise mechanic.

How about get the players to say what they are going to do, e.g. shoot/shout etc.) THEN
draw a card. 2-10 + noise level (2=very quiet, getting noisier as the value goes up)
Could have, Court Card = very loud, maybe value of 12, & ace = deathly silence.
Players would not be able to plan their shots etc.
Maybe the difference (Shot counts as equivalent of a court card) = how far away it is heard/noticed
e.g. Shot rings out when a 9 card is drawn. 12-9=3. So if the Police Chief was 6" away he didn't 'notice' it.

Just a thought. :)