Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark Twilight March Project  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
Oathmark Twilight March Project
« on: January 31, 2021, 02:39:15 AM »
For years — decades — I have only played picoscales. I have immense collections of 3-6mm armies of all types and periods. I never did more than the occasional foray into 15mm because I am an apartment dweller and I couldn’t see how I could play with those figures, let alone store them.

This is ironic, because I began my mini painting career 30 some years ago with Games Workshop Beakie Space Marines and, later, with their plastic skeletons. This was back in the day when one could play a fun and cheap game of Warhammer with just a few boxes of figures.

When the new Oathmark plastics came out, I was enthralled. They were EXACTLY what had drawn me into fantasy gaming in the first place: nice, relatively cheap, obviously fantastic, but not overblown figures. (GW’s newer, more exaggerated, styles leave me cold).

Then, last year, I bought a new apartment, much larger than the old one. Not huge, mind you, but big enough for a 6x4 table and a dedicated hobby closet. I also got such a good deal on the apartment that I had a few hundred bucks left over.

I decided to splurge and go into one reasonably priced 28mm gaming set up.

Oathmark was the obvious choice. Not only did it scratch my rank and flank itch, but the figures were fantastic and it could be played together with Frostgrave and Saga. Plus, the space needed for a reasonably sized game wasn’t immense.

300 dollars later, I have finally received and painted my first 28mm unit in a quarter century: the first banner of my human forces. These were kitbashed with some Vitrix Viking bits and painted to a tabletop standard. My goal is to do about ten figures a week and have two large Oathmark armies done by next Christmas.

Updates will follow here as I progress!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:02:47 PM by Macunaima »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Oathmark Twilight March Project
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:00:16 AM »
Well I really like these. Especially the guy using his shield for that incoming spear!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:37:56 AM »
Looking good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »
They are a very decent tabletop standard - great work!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 05:52:52 PM »
Nice start. I agree that kit bash is great.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 08:16:06 PM »
Great start, looking forward to see how your army grows!

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 03:37:31 AM »
 Thanks, guys! It’s fun posing these things! I am really enjoying the mixing and matching bits aspect of it all!

I plan on making two human/elven alliances. One — for which these guys are being painted — is a sort of Frankish Empire state descended from successful horse nomads. They’re supported by a highly racially supremacist group of mountain-based elves who use them as a catspaw against their slightly less supremacist coastal elven cousins. These guys support human tribes with early Iron Age technology and a culture based on heavily developed horticulture and hunting-gathering.

To cast it in more stereotypical terms, orientalist Dark Elves supporting an expanding human dark age empire against Wood and High Elves with a sort of mythical Britain set of human allies.