Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690759
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Irsh Jacobite Army in 15mm  (Read 2583 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
The Irsh Jacobite Army in 15mm
« on: January 31, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »
The first three battalions of my refurbished Irish Jacobites are now up on my blog.  Once again I’ve used a mixture of different manufacturers figures. 

There are both battalions of the Irish Foot Guards and the Earl of Clanrickard’s regiment.  There is a smidgin about the fighting at Oldbridge too.  If it’s of interest here’s the link.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:41:25 AM by OB »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Irsh Jacobite Army in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
Nice.
I always like your stuff & the information you post.
Thanks for taking the time.
Many years ago I tried to get the club I was involved in
interested in the Jacobite Wars in Ireland. I raised some
units (mainly Dixon Sedgemoor range) & played one game
with one interested opponent.  Sold the lot a few years later.
The two generals though had stones on their bases that came
from a visit to the Boyne.  I will have to revisit the Wars in Ireland.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 03:36:59 PM »
Thanks.  That's a nice touch with your bases.

This is my second go at the period having started in the 90s first time round.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:37:51 AM »
I was doing a little research the other day and came up with details of Christopher Fleming Lord Slane's Jacobite regiment of Foot.  I hope it is of interest to those gaming the Williamite war.

Slane's is not often seen on the table top.  It is an interesting unit all the same.  Every one of the soldiers was equipped with musket and sword.  I suspect that the muskets were mainly or all matchlocks but we don't actually know.

So far as I can tell we do not know how they were uniformed.  The high level of muskets might indicate access to red coats on the other hand French grey might be a safer bet.  Facing colours are unknown but red or yellow could be considered as these were the colours associated with the Fleming family.  Otherwise grey might do.

No one currently makes flags for Slane's regiment .  The Heraldic emblem of the Fleming's was a red chevron on a yellow field.  That would do nicely for the colonel's colour, perhaps with a red cross patee in the upper right canton.  I'm going to see what I can do.   The second colour could simply be a red saltire on a yellow field.

I'll be doing the unit alongside Bellew's and Louth's  as part of my final Jacobite infantry brigade.   They will all appear here and on my blog in due course.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »
I'd be interested to see your take on that unit.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »
I'm going to have a go at the colonel's flag today.  Not really my strong suite but we will see.  I should get to the battalion next week.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:55 PM »
Interesting regiment, never came across them before, shows my ignorance!! :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »
Good to see you refreshing these figures. My own project for this battle is very much stalled, but I would like to progress if further (but too many other projects and distractions)

Interesting information about Slane’s Regt, but as is so often for this period so many details aren’t missing.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
Interesting regiment, never came across them before, shows my ignorance!! :)

Not at all Jambo.  I hadn't either until I read an article written in 1953 for the County Louth Archaeology Society Journal. 

It details three local Jacobite regiments in the Williamite War.  Slane's and two we all know about, Bellew's and Louth's.  I'll do a blog post on what I learned once I have them painted.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
Good to see you refreshing these figures. My own project for this battle is very much stalled, but I would like to progress if further (but too many other projects and distractions)

Interesting information about Slane’s Regt, but as is so often for this period so many details aren’t missing.

Thanks Fred.  I'm enjoying it.  Though the distractions are mounting up in the usual way.

Yes, there is much still we would like to know.  All the same we are much better served for info' now than when I first had ago at the period in the 90s.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 05:01:54 AM »
Not at all Jambo.  I hadn't either until I read an article written in 1953 for the County Louth Archaeology Society Journal. 

It details three local Jacobite regiments in the Williamite War.  Slane's and two we all know about, Bellew's and Louth's.  I'll do a blog post on what I learned once I have them painted.

Looking forward to this big style, be nice to see your take on them. :)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
Thanks Jambo.

The colonel's flag for Slane's is done.  It came out OK I think.  I'm about to start painting the battalion.  I've decided to do them in a mix or red and French grey coats.  I'll be giving them yellow facings as it will contrast well with both coat colours and mirror the main colour of the flags.

I'll rate them as a Drilled regiment for Beneath the Lily Banners.  They were out West with Sarsfield early on so had seen a bit of action.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »
The Ulster brigade of King James’s Irish Jacobite Army is now up on my blog. 

I’ve gone for the Earl of Antrim’s regiment and two of the O’Neill ones- Gordon’s and Felix’s.  I’ve made Antrim’s and Gordon’s units Regulation and Drilled.  The second O’Neill formation is a more old- fashioned affair classified under Beneath the Lily Banners as Pike and Shot.  That means they have a higher ratio of pike to musket.  The muskets for all will be classified as matchlocks.

If it is of interest you can see all three on my blog.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »

No one currently makes flags for Slane's regiment .  The Heraldic emblem of the Fleming's was a red chevron on a yellow field.  That would do nicely for the colonel's colour, perhaps with a red cross patee in the upper right canton.  I'm going to see what I can do.   The second colour could simply be a red saltire on a yellow field.

There’s these ones (bottom row)...

A bit plain, but possible....

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Yes, subsequently I came across a listing for them at Maverick Models too and Flags of War do them as well.  I should have written everyone makes them!