Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689480
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Guard's Guard's. (Ancient Barbarian on horse back finished)  (Read 14948 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Guard's Guard's' inspired Frostgrave ( sculpting Wip no.4 added 09/02)
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
Thankyou all for the motivation.
I've gone back over the four figures this evening . As I'm not completely happy with the 'Nobby' and the generic guard.
The guard needs a little rework on the legs as the leading leg is too long.
Nobby's no longer Nobby as it's just not right it's now shorter in both the arms and the legs. With a tweak to the cheek pieces and a beard as it sits much better as a Dwarf .

All that tweaking aside . I'll try and fit in the start of a Sam Vimes.
I do like the idea of Lady Sybil. As I wasn't sure how to bring Errol into the set. I couldn't quite see him with the night watch.
Just as a side musing. I always wondered if Errol was a clever play on words. A sort of backward phonics 'lorre' as he's a backwards dragon and the Watch is the Law (sort of thing. If that makes sense. Or I've never worked with the window open)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
My housemate reads to me the guard stories. Lovely work Mark by the way. I was thinking of the troll Detritus with the siege crossbow in the Fifth Elephant and Constable Angua von Uberwald. Is the latter character the sergeant you are thinking of?

Cheers!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »
Helen,
I'm starting with Vimes ,Carrot, Fred,and Nobby. The Librarian, Is able to be used for several characters.( if I'm following this properly as the Rules are not my role / purchase for this project.) Definitely adding to Detritus( still haven't figured out the helmet fan.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: 'Guard's Guard's' inspired Frostgrave ( sculpting Wip no.5. added 10/02)
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »
These are brilliant sculpts, such a shame they won't be available for sale...

Still, if I may, I think Carrot needs to have his famous "protective" sculpted on. That old back-alley knee breaker....  lol

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »
Love 'em  :-*

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
These are bloody brilliant  8) :o 8) :o 8) :o 8)

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 08:53:14 PM »
Wow...I'm a bit of a (actually quite a big) Discworld fan and I love these.

Nobby was originally described as being mistaken for a Dwarf regularly.  Carrot was raised by Dwarfs (and believed himself to be an honorary Dwarf), but was taller than any of the current Watch members.  If you need an actual Dwarf you have Cheery Littlebottom (now openly female).  Reg Shoe is a Zombie (undead not unperson) and then there's Constable Downspout the gargoyle, Constable Visit-the-infidel-with-explanatory-pamphlets, Constable Dorfl who is a Golem, Constable Buggy Swires who is a gnome (actually he is later believed to be a Nac Mac Feegle) that flies on the back of a buzzard.  Corporal Detritus the Troll with his siege engine crossbow.

Vimes could come with a Gonne, or a dragon...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 11:39:37 PM »
JB. I'd much prefer you felt comfortable enough to comment and know it'll  be recieved the way it's intended.
Carrot is safely and correctly attired .Its just obscured by the sword blade in the photo. ;)
It occurred to me that it's been a while since I read any of the Watch books. So I'm reading Thud again ( on account if it being the only one thats not in the workshop burried under the contents of the shed( snows put a nice hole in the shed roof. Mind you it is a twenty five year old shed and it was secondhand when I got it so I cant complain too much)
I've finally got a cunning plan for the Nobby figure. So he'll be next just need a couple of dollies to dry and finish some paid stuff. Before I'm onto Fred Colon.
I'm pretty confident I'll end up doing the imp camera running on it's tripod. As it seems a pretty fun and fiddly build. ( which means I'm procrastinating in clay just to avoid the inevitable dozens of little legs of the luggage. I'll probably try and convenience myself it's just to give me time to figure out the legs . it won't make it any more true.)

I'm quite tempted to do a horde of the Wee folk . As a single block similar to a swarm model. But in three or four pieces that fit together to form one lump or swarm on a single base. It'll be quite a way down the line as it'll take up the sculpting time and clay of several figure.So it'll be a case of doing a little work on it ever time I've a left over piece of clay.

I'm definitely open to idea's . Definitely not to open toe sandals.Its one of those Kirby gaffs that seems to keep going and going.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »
Definitely not to open toe sandals.Its one of those Kirby gaffs that seems to keep going and going.

You need Vimes' boots theory:

The poorer you are the more you spend on boots - because the poor quality boots you can afford wear out faster than the more expensive ones, causing you to buy them more often.

Pretty sure there's a comment somewhere about the soles on his boots being so thin that he could tell where he was in the City just by the feel of the cobbles.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Guard's Guard's' inspired Frostgrave ( sculpting Wip no.6 added 12/02)
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:16 PM »
I see to remember it opening with him laying in the gutter and water swirling into his boot tops ( something like that.)

Here's the rework of Nobby. It's a little more in line with the styling I think I want for the project.
(Infact the dwarf and chap with tourch are heading for the lead pile. As they just don't fit .)
Nobby still needs some retouching as of now he's 90% done

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2021, 08:51:47 PM »
 8)

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2021, 10:01:55 PM »
Great work.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2021, 11:34:29 PM »
Neat!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2021, 11:51:47 PM »
 8) way cool!!!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Guard's Guard's' inspired Frostgrave ( sculpting Wip no.7 added 13/02)
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2021, 11:54:13 AM »
Up early this morning and bored by five . So I've started on Fred Colon. Still not sure on what to do with his hands as it's a see how it goes sculpt.