Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:22:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Guard's Guard's. (Ancient Barbarian on horse back finished)  (Read 14759 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Quote from: tin shed gamer
I think I've seen a little of the series on Amazon. I might give a try again. But it wasn't really my cup of tea.

It's very much an RPG nerd thing. Has some great moments hidden amongst a lot that just makes you cringe.

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
    • Frostgrave Pinterest Board
Seeing your work is inspiring.

I would like to try my hands at sculpting my own creatures, made from wire armatures; small dragons, trolls, crows, various ethereal undead, etc...

Could you please recommended your preferred material that you use to sculpt all these wonderfully detailed masterpieces in.

Would you recommend any media a beginner should study before starting?

Thank you for posting these.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:15:26 PM by Troll Player Fun »
Frostgrave Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/trollplayerfun/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Woah steady on.

that's a little OTT for the sensibilities of a Yorkshireman.  :o

I'm much more use to ' T'ah They'll do ' when I drop work off.
'Sez it all that duz'.  No fuss lol

Joking aside thank you.

Contrary to popular belief I use lots of materials Not just cereal packets. ( though I could probably make a serviceable dragon out of a cereal packet but thats just my butterfly mode instantly kicking in lol I've already made elephants, power armour ,and Gollums out of card .)

For big stuff like dragons and trolls I'd probably start with something like an oven curing clay like super sculpy with a wire frame back filled with tin foil ( home baking stuff.)
As it's very forgiving and doesn't dry out / cure unless you heat it . So you can take your time.

You can use oven baked poly clays such as super sculpy and Fimo for figures too. You still need to use an armature though. Not only an armature but a clay like green stuff just to add the first couple of bulk layers to your dollies. Before adding the oven curing clays as it's difficult to get these to stick straight on to the wire with out useing super glue.

I personally don't use Green stuff anymore. (But the most productive combination for me to use was ..all the blue and 1/3 of the Yellow. You can off course go 50-50 . Its just a case of trial and error to find the recipe that you find easier to move into shape.)
For several reasons .The colour makes me go 'clay blind' if I'm using it for an extended period.
The companies I do work for are finding on occasion the oils in the clay react with the newer low temperature moulding materials.
I much prefer the clay I use now for sculpting. ( it does initially take some getting use too.)
Green stuff needed mentioning first As its more forgiving to start out with but can be a little sticky.

My preference is ProCreate it's un forgiving and it's an arse to get to stay put sometimes if you stop kneeding it between applications.
There's several other brands I use but the ones mentioned are the easiest to get hold of.

As for media YouTube has a fair few tutorials. They tend to be more This is What I do. Rather than a how and Why.
But with a bit of a trawl you may find the helpful.
Or pick my brains and others on here . You can alway start a thread charting your journey and ask for advice .
The one thing I'd reccomend is getting hold of an articulated action figure such as an old school jointed action man. Much more efficient for proportioning than the artists wooden one's .Dont get anything small than an action man as it just wont pose in a natural way that includes smaller artists mannequins..

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
    • Frostgrave Pinterest Board
As for media YouTube has a fair few tutorials. They tend to be more This is What I do. Rather than a how and Why. But with a bit of a trawl you may find the helpful. Or pick my brains and others on here . You can always start a thread charting your journey and ask for advice .
The one thing I'd recommend is getting hold of an articulated action figure such as an old school jointed action man.

Thank you for your help. Sorry to offend the delicate sensibilities of a Yorkshireman and all that....

Followed your advice and in addition turns out the local library branch in the downtown "Artist District" near the Old Fort has a few older tomes in circulation on these very precise  topics ..

I will shuffle off over to my own thread soon so as not to derail this one....

thanks again... your work has that spark which captures the magical sliver of character in the soul of a human being a computer program will never process ....

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
No Worries.
Have a look at my Homefront thread( ww2) and my Workbench thread as there's often sculpting on both threads
If you get stuck or you feel I might have an idea on how yo do something.( must warn you I just make things up as I gp a long)feel free to pick my brains

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Guard's Guard's. All 19 sculpts ( so far.) 24/03.
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »
Here's as far as I've managed to get in between other project's.
There's enough for me to get my Frostgrave off the ground and enough for Chris to start up his kickstarter. No doubt I'll end up making some stretch goal's as Chris likes to give backers the choice of stretch goals to be exclusive sculpts of their choice.

(I'm not sure on the sack doll familiar or the dwarf, as the fourth figure . in that pack. Photograph doesn't show it  either of them that well.)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »
They’ve turned out alright.

(Is that the appropriate level of appreciation for Yorkshire?)

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2021, 04:08:51 AM »
Ooh, how did I miss this! Lovely work!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2021, 09:29:11 AM »
 8) way cool!!!!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
They look great. Wonderful set of characters.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2021, 08:11:03 AM »
Fred.
A reply worthy of a nod of appreciation ( which I actually caught myself doing when I read the first line lol )

Cheers Liam.

Doze. Better late than never.

They're off for casting on Monday. I'll post some picture's once I get some painted.( as it was originally what was intended.)
Although Dag's will probably beat me to the punch. As I think he's been commissioned to paint them for Chris.

Back on to their role for Frostgrave , can anyone think of a role / figures I've missed.( my copy still hasn't arrived.) Before I start on at least one opposition Warband.
I'm pretty sure I'll end up making an ancient Barbarian on Horse back As I've horse that was a rework of an Ebob horse.( the Ebob horse is just a dolly not the horse its self as it was used to keep it in scale with other horse's in the range.In the end it turned out to be quicker and easier to correct the Ebob flaws rather than remake all the horses .So it never got used.)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2021, 08:13:17 AM »
And that’s a win for Cohen! ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »
In Frostgrave you can have an "Apothecary" soldier type who is not much of a fighter but who can carries a healing potion which he or she can provide if required to a member of the warband. To fit this role how about a Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler character serving restorative delicacies from a tray hung around his neck? Surely one of Mr Dibbler's sauages in a bun would have any flagging adventurer quickly back on their feet and desperate to get back into action!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2021, 08:03:01 PM »
Cohen complete with rubber ring on his saddle.Is definitely what I had in mind.

Bearwoodman.
I'd thought about sculpting him but I couldn't see an immediate roll for him ( No role no time to waste sculpting otherwise I'll never get to a usable state/point.)
But definitely makes him more plausible.

Cohen is useful from my point of view as I'd bought the rerelease set of Barbarians Nic mentioned last year.So he'll tie the barbarians in as another warband/ faction.

Don't be expecting a particularly heroic pose on horse. Or foot come to think of it.
I've some more casual and age related poses in mind.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2021, 09:15:52 AM »
What I like to do with Kickstarters, is once the core products have been funded, is to open it up to backers for suggestions as to what we should add next as stretch goals and then arrange a vote for backers, so please keep your suggestions coming in and I'll check here for the voting list for the first couple of stretch goals. I'm very excited about this project and Sally 4ths first fantasy miniatures. I'm busy making some Frostgrave terrain to use for gaming and photography and I'm really hoping that we will be able to get some test casts painted very quickly to enable us to get this campaign underway!
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk