Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:10:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SE5a (1/200)  (Read 974 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
SE5a (1/200)
« on: February 03, 2021, 12:34:24 AM »
I built this 1/200 scale model of a RAF* SE5a in Blender, and printed it on my Elegoo Mars Pro.
The wingspan is about 40mm.

The Lewis gun is much too large in scale, but I feared that if I made it smaller it would become insignificant, and possibly not print. However, I now think it could be shrunk a bit.

There has got to be an easier way of doing the RFC roundels. In spite of my distaste for decals, I'd even go so far as that, if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy decals from across the seas.

• * In this case, RAF stands for Royal Aircraft Factory, not Royal Air Force. Though in 1918 it could also stand for Royal Air Force, in which case it would be a RAF RAF SE5a.

Offline Forays

• Student
  • Mostly philhellene
Re: SE5a (1/200)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 03:02:13 AM »
Very pretty!

Roundels look great.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
Nice model, nice painting :-*
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »
I built this 1/200 scale model of a RAF* SE5a in Blender, and printed it on my Elegoo Mars Pro.
The wingspan is about 40mm.
(...)

The Lewis gun is much too large in scale, but I feared that if I made it smaller it would become insignificant, and possibly not print. However, I now think it could be shrunk a bit.

Honestly, for what seems to be a gaming piece, I think it is great and a bit of exaggeration won't hurt when it comes to this kind of detail.

There has got to be an easier way of doing the RFC roundels. In spite of my distaste for decals, I'd even go so far as that, if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy decals from across the seas.

Have you considered having some very finely raised detail to "outline" the roundel areas? I built a couple of old plastic kits (Aurora DH.10, Smêr DH.2) which among other raised details (per for the time of their initial release) had fine ridges outlining the three areas, and since the decals had long gone beyond being usable, it helped quite a bit with painting them on. Stenciling using masking foil won't work at your scale, I suspect.

They are looking worse in the pictures than in real size, I suspect.

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »
Excellent work. The Lewis gun has been exaggerated appropriately, both from a printing perspective (for the reasons you outlined) and for appearance of the model on the table.

Robert

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 05:13:21 PM »
Good choice with the Lewis Gun.
It looks right to me!
, ,

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »
Have you considered having some very finely raised detail to "outline" the roundel areas? I built a couple of old plastic kits (Aurora DH.10, Smêr DH.2) which among other raised details (per for the time of their initial release) had fine ridges outlining the three areas, and since the decals had long gone beyond being usable, it helped quite a bit with painting them on.

I was considering that as a possibility. It's not entirely straightforward in Blender, but it's doable.