Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations for rules?  (Read 991 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Recommendations for rules?
« on: February 03, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

So I am musing on a "NotHammer" puff and slash/Landsknecht fantasy project -  vaguely inspired by the German Peasants Revolt of 1525, coupled with the Empire from WHFB and  the LAM Brugelburg figures. At the moment it's human focused ( I may paint the odd dwarf or ogre, but they aren't the main focus), with magic being very rare, but Empire style warmachines (steamtanks, repeater handguns, bomb pigs, etc) exist. Probably more pikes than The Empire use in WHFB, but more halberds/great swords/sword and buckler than history. Probably only after "Warhammer" army sizes of say around 50-150 figures a side, with some consideration of characters.

The obvious rules choice would be Warhammer FB... probably something like 6th or 7th Ed. But that doesn't really appeal.
I have considered a few others:
  • Donnybrook - Fun rules, with small units and characters. Pike and Shotte period, and it shouldn't be tooo much trouble to mod to add fantastic weird technology
  • GASLSIGHT - Again, another fun set with small units, warmachines and characters. Being VSF it's tech level is pitched a little late, but I could probably wind that back. I am perhaps a little concerned that firearms may dominate?
  • Furioso - Not one I have played, but a dedicated Italian Wars set and the expansion offers scope for religious blessings and Da Vinci's weird technology. It uses multi base figures (which doesn't appeal) and seems to be aimed at larger armies (~200 figures a side for a 'starter' army)
  • Pikemans Lament - Right army size, hear good things about it, will do pike and shot well (but may not capture Italian Wars more aggressive pike very well?) but doesn't look very easy to get 'weird tech' into
  • dragon Rampant - Again, right army size, possibly more 'fantasy' than 'weird tech', but had rules for flyers and I could probably adapt it work for other stuff. Maybe too generically fantasy to get the feel
  • Mix and match Pikemans Lament and Dragon Rampant - Might work. I hear that folks do it between Pikemans Lament and Lion Rampant, albeit some of the activation values don't quite port across?
  • GW's LOTR SBG - a fun game, right army size, some tech exists (bombs, pikes and crossbows)... but feels like it might be a lot of work to pull it to where I want to be
Any thoughts, guidance or rules that I've not thought of?
Sorry if it's all a bit vague - it's still all very embryonic at the moment
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Recommendations for rules?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 02:09:06 PM »
I would recommend Fistful of lead, big battles.
Easy to learn & easy to fit in the things you want.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 02:16:39 PM »
Is it rank and file rules you are after?

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 04:13:44 PM »
Re rank and file... Kinda? (Told you this was embryonic!)
Smallish units (8-20 figures), with potentially some sort of benefit /distinction for being formed up in close order (pikeblock style) rather than open order 

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
I think Fistful of Lead Bigger Battles would be a great way to do it. Larger units, access to lots of different weapons and easy vehicle rules.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 01:55:33 AM »
I have been looking at some moded rules for lion Rampart, that cover early renaissance Tudor warfare. With lists for french, italians, English, Scot's and the HRE. Might be able to add some of the fantasy Elements useing Dragon rampart.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
One Page Rules has Age of Fantasy, and if you decide you want the rank and file, you can go with the Regiments version.  I like the simplicity.  They should represent the forces from both old Warhammer and new.

https://onepagerules.com/

andy