Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tank crews size  (Read 1034 times)

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
Tank crews size
« on: February 12, 2022, 05:47:55 PM »
OK, I just made my first purchase of Rubicon miniatures - their Commonwealth tank crews - and to my surprise they looked incredibly tiny when you place them in a Warlord Sherman. Are Rubicon vehicles so much smaller  than Bolt action's?  And what figures does the hive mind recommend for tank crews for Warlord vehicles - other then warlord's own, of course? Many thanks in advance!
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Tank crews size
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 01:15:54 AM »
I have both Warlord and Rubicon Shermans, and they pretty much match up size-wise.  The plastic TC that came with my Rubicon Sherman looks OK, but I've found that Rubicon's figures are a bit on the small size compared to Warlord's figures.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 01:46:47 AM »
Do Rubicon and Warlord both use 1/56 for their vehicles? Some people use 1/48 models which obviously will be significantly bigger than 1/56.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 12:19:12 PM »
Rubicon and Warlord Shermans are both 1/56.
This is an overhead view of the Italeri/Warlord M4 and the now discontinued and replaced Rubicon M4A3.

Please note that the M4A3 has different style differential cover and a  76mm turret (admittedly the Rubicon turret had some issues, hence the kit being replaced with a better one).

I should have some alternative overhead shots shortly.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:08:58 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 12:42:27 PM »
Comparison of the Warlord Sherman VC, Rubicon Sherman I and I Hybrid.
Top to bottom: Rubicon Sherman IC Hybrid, Warlord Sherman VC, Rubicon Sherman I with early turret.

The Sherman V hull is longer than the other Sherman hulls to accommodate the "Franken-Engine".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank

Left to right: Warlord Sherman VC, Rubicon Sherman IC Hybrid.

Top to bottom: Rubicon Sherman I with early turret, Rubicon Sherman IC Hybrid.

Top to bottom: Warlord Sherman VC, Rubicon Sherman IC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:12:30 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »
I would have a read through this thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=135343.0

I would try and match your tank crews with your other figures so there is not a jarring difference in the style of the figures.

But at the end of the day, your toys - your choice ^__^

Just found this:

Crooked Dice William Killian compared to Rubicon's Percy Hobart figure. Similar height but more slender.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:08:11 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 01:48:13 PM »
Hi Leopoldo :)

Rubicon’s figures are ‘true 1/56’ scale, like the Perry WW2 plastics. The Rubicon figures are also more naturally proportioned than most wargamers are used to / like. They are thinner in stature, with longer arms and legs and smaller heads.

Warlord favour the outsized ‘chunky munchkin’ look for their WW2 plastics. Caricatures rather than any attempt at realistic looking humans in miniature. A lot of people like that style of figure. Personally I don’t, although a lot of the weapons, equipment and accoutrements included in their plastic sets are useful. But they certainly don’t mix well either size-wise or in style with the Rubicon and Perry figures.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks everybody, I also wen through the whole 6 pages of the other thread and it seems we can only agree to disagree just about pretty much everything. I don't mind mixing scales, I am not a stickler, but I was really surprised when I put the Rubicon tank commander into my warlord Sherman as even without any outside figures to draw a comparison - the poor guy seemed completely out of place. To make things worse I built a second tank commander  from the same box - and this other guy, while still small, is not as hopelessly out of place as the other one. Will try to post some photos later on to elicit more collective ramblings

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:50:21 PM »
The Rubicon crew figures aught to all be the same scale as they're using 3D modelling. I imagine that the crews are at least a little copy/ pasted. Though if a particular figure is just a shoulders up model they may seem smaller.

Regardless, realistically proportioned humans (which Rubicon aren't - they're still large compared to real humans at that scale) probably do look small compared to a Sherman. Shermans are huge compared to other WWII tanks on account of how their engines are set up necessitating loads of space. The Israelis post-war tried a conversion on the Sherman that reduced the track assembly size to bring the height down a bit if that's anything to go by... Though I suppose crews spend most of their time not in combat, so the extra space was appreciated.