Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tora no Monogatari: An ongoing Test of Honour solo campaign  (Read 8813 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Tora no Monogatari: An ongoing Test of Honour solo campaign
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 08:52:44 PM »
Incredible. Not only does you table look great, but the eye for capturing the essence of the game through photography on display here is amazing.

Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
    • Tenka Fubu: Sengoku Jidai 'blog
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 12:43:17 AM »
Thanks very much.

The first part of the campaign comes to an end. The bandits are nearly wiped out in a fight with a rival gang.

The survivors go their separate ways. Toranosuke and Iemon return to Atsuta and this time succeed in their revenge killing. They flee to the west of Owari to lie low.

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 09:39:36 PM »
Chapter two:
Toranosuke and Iemon have travelled to the Kiso river region, on the border between Mino and Owari. There they hook up with a former member of the river bandits, Genzaburō, and work at transporting goods along the river. The three quickly fall back into criminal ways and take a job smuggling stolen matchlocks.

The old 'smuggling guns in a palanquin' trick:

Robbers attack the group but are easily defeated.

Some time later, the village is attacked by one of the numerous bandit gangs that operate around the border area.

The trio and their crew quickly move to defend the villagers, but the bandits loot and burn part of the village:

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
I had an enjoyable  read through your blog, thanks for the link earlier, you should include it in your signature thingy here.

Lots of interesting things in 28mm, I like how you've put the campaign into a series of games, it works well. Table and figures are spot on.

I did look to see if there was anything about your scenery but only found a post about bamboo, is there anything on the buildings? There's lots of nice additions to the basic structures, mesh on windows, slats on doors etc and I like the way you've done the wooden roofs and clapboard walls. Very impressive and looks time consuming.

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
Thanks. My main 'blog for Sengoku is focussed on 6mm, and the 28mm started out as a bit of a side project that grew unexpectedly rapidly.

I've not done anything on the buildings. They're mostly shells by TT Combat with added detail. Extra panelling and roof tiles are card, the windows are mostly from Warbases, thatching is a towel.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 07:31:19 AM »
Great looking miniatures and photography.

Your blog is a very enjoyable read.

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
@Osmoses, enjoying you posts here, like the way you painted up your miniatures, buy any chance do you remember which manufacturer the female miniatures on page two of this post are from?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:01:33 AM by Marauderman »

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »
Cheers. One of the figures is by Perry from their SAM 51 Townspeople pack. The other is from the 'Unlikely Allies' set by Grey for Now Games. I did alter the hair on the latter one as the original has an Edo-period hairstyle.

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »
@ Osmoes, thanks for getting back to me, great job on the conversion of the Unlikely Allies one by Grey for Now Games, I have that set but didn't even click it was from that set with the great job you done on it. Thanks also regards the Perry Miniatures one.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 10:33:20 PM »
Wonderful blog with fantastic, atmospheric photography.  One shot in particular of the could have done for a colorized picture out of Yojimbo.

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 12:11:06 AM »
The Ji-zamurai’s steward.

Toranosuke and Iemon travel to meet the steward of the ji-zamurai responsible for the village to ask for greater protection against attack by robbers. Genzaburō, ever cautious, takes some men and follows the two in case something goes amiss. The interview with the steward and his secretary becomes heated. The ji-zamurai’s men stand up and draw swords, Toranosuke is unarmed, and Iemon has only a concealed dagger.…

Toranosuke tries to disarm the steward, Morinari, but is pushed away. The other man strikes at Iemon injuring him, but Iemon is able to stab the man with his concealed dagger. Morinari is briefly distracted and Toranosuke wrestles him to the floor, stunning him. More men enter the house. Toranosuke grabs Morinari’s sword and flees outside, where Genzaburō and the crew rush to help.

Morinari comes to, grabs a sword from one of the men and pursues Toranosuke outside. A running fight ensues, with Toranosuke and the rest forced back. Toranosuke cuts down one of the pursuers, causing Morinari and his men to shrink back. Toranosuke and the others flee back toward their village.

Toranosuke and the others return to the village. Why did Morinari try and kill Toranosuke? What will the villagers decide to do next?

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 01:59:04 AM »
This log is incredible. Amazing from top to bottom.

But it makes me wanna quit the hobby...ha! ;)

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 07:22:53 PM »
Toranosuke leaves the village and ends up fighting for the Saitō. A summary of chapter 2 and a few ideas for solo narrative campaigns on the 'blog:

https://adcgaming.wordpress.com/2021/03/10/tora-no-monogatari-a-solo-test-of-honour-campaign-part-two/

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 07:32:45 PM »
Am greatly enjoying this.  Wonderful world you have built, with a great narrative.

Offline Osmoses

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 07:43:44 PM »
Thanks. I'd had a few goes at a solo RPG-style skirmish campaign before, but had a real breakthrough with this way of doing it.