Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Project  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Emmersonforest4

• Student
New Project
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:15:11 PM »
My brother got me for Xmas some empress WW1 figures and quite honestly they are one of the most nice looking 28mm figures I have ever seen. It’s just shame they haven’t been able to expand the range yet and that’s probably not through the want of trying. I’d love to see uhlans, hussars and artillery options for the Germans. I’ll share some pics of my project. I’m looking to paint around 150-200 figs each for German and BEF I would love to know what people think the best rules are?

This is my second project in the 28mm world so go light on me and the models in the pics are mainly unfinished I’m just finishing off the base coats for them then onto washing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:55:28 PM by Emmersonforest4 »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »
Looking good! Best of luck with this project.

Don't know if this is any use to you, but Great War Miniatures make some really nice early war Germans, including mounted and dismounted Uhlans. Might be worth a look if you are too impatient to wait for Empress to get round to them.

Edit: Just noticed they do some mounted Hussars too.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 07:17:50 PM »
I am with Plynkes. Looking good!
Once you started its Hard to stop with Early WW1  :)
, ,

Offline Emmersonforest4

• Student
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 11:59:27 PM »
Cheers Plynkes! I’ve already ordered the Ulhans mounted and dismounted from Great War Miniatures. If Empress bring them out I’ll deffo get some. I’ve also seen Steve Barbers mounted Hussars as well they are very nice.

Thank you Driscoles I’ll keep updating pictures on this project in here. I’m hoping to have jaegers, Ulhans, Hussars, infantry in pickelhaube and artillery in this army of mine.

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:12:01 AM »
The biggest issue I've had since I started painting, is my apparent inability to not be led astray from a project the moment I see a nice new range.
You've made them look good, even early days.
These are lovely looking sculpts and I'm sorely tempted to indulge in a pack or two to try out.

I like your painting style, the colours convey the period perfectly and I look forward to seeing them at the end.

Thanks for sharing
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 01:00:50 AM »
Cheers Plynkes! I’ve already ordered the Ulhans mounted and dismounted from Great War Miniatures. If Empress bring them out I’ll deffo get some. I’ve also seen Steve Barbers mounted Hussars as well they are very nice.
Thank you Driscoles I’ll keep updating pictures on this project in here. I’m hoping to have jaegers, Ulhans, Hussars, infantry in pickelhaube and artillery in this army of mine.

I've commissioned through Steve Barber a dismounted German Hussar with Mauser carbine at the trail. I hope we will see this miniature this year alongside three more London Scots miniatures.

By the way, excellent project. Early war is my favourite too.

Cheers!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Emmersonforest4

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 11:49:47 AM »
Helen thank you for sharing that bit of info as I was thinking Id love there to be some dismounted Hussars from a provider!!! I take we will be able to order them off his site once available? It would be great to get some dismounted Hussars firing as well one day.

Does anyone Wargame the 1914 period? What are the best rules for skirmish and army battle games?

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »
Those figures look great  :)

I game the late war myself but I recall a while back some gamers using Black Powder with a few minor modifications. Managed to find a link here.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96035.msg1186632#msg1186632

Since starting gaming WW1 over 10 years ago it remains a frustration that even now, three companies do an Early War British gun limber but none do one for the Late War and as yet you can’t get decent German or Russian limbers for your artillery.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »
Helen thank you for sharing that bit of info as I was thinking Id love there to be some dismounted Hussars from a provider!!! I take we will be able to order them off his site once available? It would be great to get some dismounted Hussars firing as well one day.

Does anyone Wargame the 1914 period? What are the best rules for skirmish and army battle games?

I will ask Steve to start on him after he finishes my other commission.

Thank you.

Offline Emmersonforest4

• Student
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 12:01:34 AM »
I will ask Steve to start on him after he finishes my other commission.

Thank you.

That’s great news Helen!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 01:08:30 AM »
Very nice, and I'm particularly taken with how you've based them, really effective.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 08:21:41 AM »
Great looking figures.

We’ve being playing a lot of WWI lately, but with 10mm figures, so probably at a larger scale of battle than you are looking at.

We have been using the 1914 rules from Great Escape Games, which seem to work OK. We are going to try the If the Lard Spares Us rules from Too Fat Lardies next, mainly so that we can move to late war.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
Hi, I think “If the Lord Spares Us” by 2FL covers Palestine and Mesopotamia. I have a copy somewhere. One of their “older” rulesets which are hard work...

Offline Emmersonforest4

• Student
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi, I think “If the Lord Spares Us” by 2FL covers Palestine and Mesopotamia. I have a copy somewhere. One of their “older” rulesets which are hard work...

Thank you I’ll check them out, I’m looking to game mons. So it will be multiple German regiments trying to get over the bridges against BEF vickers gun teams.

Offline Emmersonforest4

• Student
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »
Just to give an update I am at the highlight stage with a lot of models now. Ulhans are primed and ready for the base coats.

Quick question I used Nuln Oil Citadel to wash my figs before my highlight. Does anyone find it a bit glossy sometimes even though you sparsely apply it? Next question is if I were to paint on some clear Matt would that get rid of the gloss?