Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 678
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: *UPDATED 13/2* 28mm Scottish-Norwegian War  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
*UPDATED 13/2* 28mm Scottish-Norwegian War
« on: February 07, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
I wasn't kidding when I said I'd be bringing you more niche and obscure Lion Rampant retinues!

I'd fancied doing the Battle of Largs for a while, as in scope and scale the above "war" was perfect for Lion Rampant scenarios. There were no cataclysmic clashes of grand hosts, with Largs itself being barely more than an extended skirmish, before it all fizzled out to nothing. When Footsore released the Barons War stuff, it got really hard to resist! While meant for 50 years before, the bulk of the wargear won't look massively out of place for either side, though I'll try to keep the faceplated nasal and open-faced flat top helms to a bare minimum.

I'd originally planned just to do both sides, but my regular opponent has dived in with full enthusiasm to do the Norwegians, leaving me to do the Scots. I will of course do some Norwegians to add to his, but may err towards more of a Hebridean flavour, for a bit of variation (and the fact that they could join either side...)

Some research managed to establish a few Scots knights who were there, and I added a few more who were likely to have been due to the location of their lands or status. With rhe exception of the Earl of March (who is recorded to have commanded the left wing at Largs), the knights in his unit I made up of thise with lands around Loch Lomond, which was raided by the Norwegians prior to the battle at Largs; they probably weren't there, but they seemed an apropriate choice, especially as it meant I could also use them for engagements around that area. The Norwegians were a harder task, and most of the arms I'll end up painting were just those of roughly the right era that I could identify....

Here's my painting/force composition plan for the Scots...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:37:14 PM by Iain R »
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm Scottish-Norwegian War
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:17:12 PM »
And the projected knights I intend to do for the Norwegian side...

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:50:39 PM »
Ooh nice! Lots of lovely new minis coming out that would be suitable too.
This is something I’ve toyed with so these new minis might tempt me.

Following with interest.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 01:02:30 AM »
First Scots figures finished, 3 infantrymen and a knight, Sir Henry de Cunninghame of Kilmaurs.

The infantry will all be painted to represent men in the service of the Stewarts, as Ayrshire was their heartland at this point, with Walter "Bailloch" Stewart being Sheriff of Ayrshire at the time, and thus responsible for raising the forces, and the High Steward Alexander Stewart of Dundonald being the joint commander alongside Walter. The fact they're in a basic form of yellow livery is probably a bit anachronistic; the men were called out by Crown officials rather than individual lords, however there are extant records showing the Stewarts paid men for the campaign, as they didn't trust the local burgesses to do their duty, and given the size of the forces I'll be doing, I decided to represent these paid men. It's still arguable as to whether they'd have worn any form of livery, but I felt that to a family like the Stewarts, prestige and show was everything, so  men in livery might not be outwith the realms of possibility... it also makes painting a bit quicker!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 01:07:56 AM »
Lovely painting,and fascinating subject. Will be watching this develop  keenly. :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »
Nice piece of research to kick yourselves off. All hail to the obscure. What a  great little project and wonderful example of how skirmish rules like these can satiate divergent fancies. I haven't yet stepped into skirmish gaming but I can see the attraction.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »
Great idea for a project and lovely painting.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 09:45:30 AM »
I will follow with great interest.
Great painting. :-* :-*

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 11:06:07 AM »
Great project and will follow with interest.  As an Ayrshire man, whose ancestors who were ‘planted’ by the Eglingtons in Derry and came back to work for them in the early 18th century I am looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.  I must admit to being a little dismissive of the Battle of Largs-a few half drowned Norwegians getting the proverbial doing on the beach-but age has mellowed me.

Stephen

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 04:20:01 PM »
Thanks all, very kind!

Great project and will follow with interest.  As an Ayrshire man, whose ancestors who were ‘planted’ by the Eglingtons in Derry and came back to work for them in the early 18th century I am looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.  I must admit to being a little dismissive of the Battle of Largs-a few half drowned Norwegians getting the proverbial doing on the beach-but age has mellowed me.

Stephen

Yeah, Largs often gets overblown in terms of scale and importance (thanks in part to the tourist industry, who do nothing to discourage the common idea of it being "Scots vs. Vikings... ::) ::) ::) ) but the detail of it is perfect for the sort of scenarios LR seeks to represent. The Norwegians weren't really half-drowned, as they had come ashore the morning after the boats were blown across, with subsequent reinforcements also landed when it became clear the Scots were trying to prevent the boats being recovered. They ended up fighting a very successful rearguard action against superior numbers and equipment.  I also like the idea of them raiding up Loch Long to Arrochar, then dragging the boats overland to then sail up and down Loch Lomond and terrorise the locals. That must have come as something of a shock!

Some WIP on some archers...

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »
Thanks all, very kind!

Yeah, Largs often gets overblown in terms of scale and importance (thanks in part to the tourist industry, who do nothing to discourage the common idea of it being "Scots vs. Vikings... ::) ::) ::) ) but the detail of it is perfect for the sort of scenarios LR seeks to represent. The Norwegians weren't really half-drowned, as they had come ashore the morning after the boats were blown across, with subsequent reinforcements also landed when it became clear the Scots were trying to prevent the boats being recovered. They ended up fighting a very successful rearguard action against superior numbers and equipment.  I also like the idea of them raiding up Loch Long to Arrochar, then dragging the boats overland to then sail up and down Loch Lomond and terrorise the locals. That must have come as something of a shock!

Some WIP on some archers...

Iain

Very interesting, particularly the hauling of boats from Arrochar to Lomond! Was trying to recall today how that dismissive view (beach brawl) had formed and I feel it must have  (in the late sixties) come from my Father-a Historian- who was neither interested either the period or particularly Scottish History.  So I shall be following this thread with great interest.

Stephen

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 02:36:34 PM »
Some actual pictures of Sir Henry de Cunninghame of Kilmaurs. Thought I'd posted these, but clearly not.... o_o

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: *UPDATED 13/2* 28mm Scottish-Norwegian War
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »
Nice work! What would the Norwegian boats have looked like - knarr with fore and stern castles?

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 02:03:18 AM »
I was wondering the same thing; from what I've gathered though, they were the same as viking longships but bigger.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
I really like blogs like this. I am looking forward to more!