Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:38:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Re)Sculpting question  (Read 2161 times)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
(Re)Sculpting question
« on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »
If I need to replace or change a hand or a head on a figure, it's relatively easy to cut and pin a new piece on.  However, if I want to sculpt new fingers or build up an arm in a different position, using an epoxy putty of some sort, what's the best way to get started? How do you get such minute pieces of said putty to stick in place long enough to work with them? Plastic is easy - just glue on a piece of sprue or such and wait for it to dry.  Can you do the same thing with putty, using cyano for instance? I've always found that getting the stuff to even adhere to the bare metal is a real chore.  Putty to putty isn't quite as bad but it's still awkward.  Any suggestions from our resident experts?

Thanks,
Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: (Re)Sculpting question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »
Well not that I'm an expert at all, but in my experience with using Greenstuff I can only comment on that. Try adding a little more yellow into the mix first, tis makes it more 'sticky', alternatively you can drill a small hole where the piece is meant to be to roughen up the area and give something for the putty to hold on to. I don't know about other modelling mediums.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »
Well not that I'm an expert at all, but in my experience with using Greenstuff I can only comment on that. Try adding a little more yellow into the mix first, tis makes it more 'sticky', alternatively you can drill a small hole where the piece is meant to be to roughen up the area and give something for the putty to hold on to. I don't know about other modelling mediums.

I do both of the above (more yellow in green stuff, roughen up the surface). You can also put a little superglue to the metal to get that initial stick but you really need to use just a ultar-super-thin application or you'll get lumps in the green stuff.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
You can also insert a pin into the metal.  This pin would then serve as an "armature" of sorts, giving more for the putty to adhere to.

So if you're sculpting, for example, a hand, drill a hole into the sleeve, insert a short pin, put the blob of green stuff in place surrounding the pin, allow to dry for just a short while (this increases its adherence), and sculpt away.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
Maybe you have greasy fingers? Wipe your fingers before working with the putty. Grease can be a non starter.

Actually, what I do it jam a small bit of the putty onto the surface and really work it on. Then carefully place the bit you want to sculpt on top. Also you can superglur the putty while its still soft, it works fine.