Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Ruff  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Ruff
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 05:05:02 PM »
Many thanks for all the replies. This is pure speculation on my part, based upon no research worth the name, but I wonder whether the ruff started out as a fashion for gentlemen, because you couldn't do manual work while wearing a ruff, that it spread down the social order for a while but that it ended up as it began - as a fashion for gentlemen. You do see ruffs being worn by ECW / later TYW officers in paintings , but I do wonder whether they wore them much in the field. I also wonder whether ruffs survived longer among militia because I imagine that militia tended to be, if not gentlemen, then at least tradesmen and their apprentices who would want to, and have the means to, put on a bit of a show.   

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: The Ruff
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 10:45:34 PM »
I am sure that there was a minority but none the less significant portion of the population who enjoyed ruff sex and quite a few amongst the upper classes who liked a bit of ruff trade.  An enduring taste.

When applied to the Scots in the mid 16th C this was known as a spot of ‘ruff wooing’

;)

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Arthur