Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This is Not a Test rule book  (Read 2895 times)

Andrew_McGuire

This is Not a Test rule book
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:46:57 PM »
I must apologise if I’m ridiculously late in noticing - all too likely - but I’ve just discovered that North Star is stocking This Is Not a Test, about which I have long been curious. In the past there have been many AARs etc. though these seem to have been less common of late.

I had been under the impression that it was not available in hard copy, so seeing one at NS came as something of surprise. It is fairly expensive at £40 and this may only be a paperback, possibly a relatively slim one given the economics of hobby publishing. I’m therefore reluctant to order a copy without further information, particularly as to whether it is still the ‘top dog’ in its field as it once appeared to be.

I should add that I’m not particularly well versed in PA gaming. I currently own Zona Alfa, Scrappers, and various zombie rules and minis, but have done little with them. Given this, is TINAT worth acquiring?

Offline miros

• Bookworm
Re: This is Not a Test rule book
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:08:09 PM »
There was a hardcover rulebook that came from a Kickstarter in late 2016-early 2017.  Looking back at the campaign it was US$45 for the book.  It is a fairly detailed ruleset IMO with rules for different weapons, mutations and some scenarios.  I ultimately decided to go another direction for my P-A gaming so no longer have my copy but enjoyed reading it and thought it was a quality product.  I am not up on the current state of the game but there is a Facebook group that might give you a better idea.

The author has a website with various supplements and miniatures; looking at it just now, the print rules are sold out but there is a PDF for US$19.99.  You can find it at: https://worldsendpublishing.com/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »
Thank you. I’ll give it some thought.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:36:03 PM »
It does rather look as if the HC may be a good purchase, assuming a 2nd edition is not in the offing. There’s no suggestion of this on the author’s site, but I am not on FB, which seems to be the favoured channel for many rules authors.

Sadly the official templates are also sold out and not available from North Star, but at first glance they appear to be of standard dimensions.

This all reminds me that I have seen little - if any - discussion of the same author’s Reality’s Edge. Perhaps I’m not trying hard enough.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:58:45 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:50:01 PM »
As it turns out, a hard copy of This Is Not A Test would have been cheaper than printing out PDF's of the basics and additional rules sets.  The cost of printer ink for the print outs was an awesome number. Perhaps my lust for a 3D printer needs to refocus on a laser printer 2D. duh. I have no regrets in acquiring the rule set. Am looking forward to the first vaccine loaded get together on the miniatures table. This Is Not A Test will be first game up in the post pandemic world of mine. It's that good. I hand drew a large map of NW Maryland, SE Pennsylvania, and the parts of W. Virginia applicable to most of the scenario choices.

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:04:02 PM »
BTW, the most fun had this week was fabrication of shanty town Post Apocalypse latrine. Five "seats" lined up, no screen. I learned how to make miniature toilet paper rolls to complement the row of seats. God is in the details. I added two signs, aged and washed in Agrax brownshade. One is a pictograph on the do's and don't of latrine behavior. The other warned that the latrine would be closed at 0800. The question begged: who would close an open air latrine? You got to get your business done early in the PA.  I knew I wanted that sign as soon as I saw it. I blame the pandemic for getting me to this stage.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 03:27:55 PM »
If the lavatories in certain fast food outlets and even libraries I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of using are any guide, such facilities are prone to being used by n’er-do-wells to conduct their nefarious and unsanitary business - including the detestable practice known as ‘shooting’ up - thus rendering such facilities distinctly insalubrious for decent folk.

It should scarcely be an occasion for surprise, therefore, given the exigencies of a post-apocalyptic emergency, that whatever authority may exist should put in place measures to deter the kind of ex-human vermin likely to linger around the presumably ill-maintained premises. One somehow doubts, however, that many such riff-raff would be able to read, let alone have the decency to observe such instructions, no matter how self-explanatory and undemanding these might be. Quite honestly one has to wonder what happened to standards?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:09:08 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
The book we have is a hefty Hard Back edition.

TBH, I don't know much about the history of the game. The author dropped me a line saying he was getting a lot of requests for the rulebook from the UK, and he had a source that could do short print runs here, do I want to carry it?

I said yes, plus some of the North Star chaps are keen on TINAT.

The high price tag is partly because of the size of the book, but also it is the price you pay for small print runs from Printers.

It's gone really well.

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=12072

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 07:54:35 PM »
Thank you Nick. I believe I may be ordering a copy.

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 09:03:29 PM »
I've played TINAT, Zona Alfa and Scrappers. I like all three. They all offer different things. So I guess it depends on what you want in a game? The authors have probably spent too much time playing computer games. The substance if all is pretty good although ZA is a little lighter on drtail. TINAT is a little like fallout. Zona Alfa is roadside Picnic / Stalker/ Metro 2033. Scrappers is a little like the Rage games without the cars. Of the three I prefer TINAT but I like the others too. TINAT is essentially the same rules as Reality's Edge. It's also the most well supported and there are more playthroughs on YouTube. It us by far the most illustrated rukebook. Not to take away from any if these, I also use the rpg Savage World's. It's a nice simple set of well thought out rules which works well as s tabletop game.

As an aside, I have always found Northstar a very good company to deal with. They have never let me down once.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
Thank you for those comments. I don’t play computer games so am not familiar with the ones you mention, though I’ve heard of them. I’ve bought from North Star many times so have no trepidation on that account. The only thing holding me back at present is the mundane issue of money. Even in a not quite post-apocalyptic environment I’m not all that far removed from some of the more desperate survivors a lot of the time.

Offline Fanis

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 10:45:41 AM »
Andrew I was one of those pestering Nick for a copy and got one from the limited print run he mentioned.

It is an excellent ruleset, lavishly illustrated and with lots of eye candy from actual games/setups. Worth every penny.

MWG Studios has ran two narrative campaigns with this ruleset which are top of the line. You will fall in love with the setting and the rules.
All that I could find on youtube now is Season 2 (Season 1 was there as well and it was free; may very well still be, I just can't find it now) but that is missing every other episode (the missing ones being in the Vault; worth it just for these two campaigns by the way and it's a shame they have not done more stuff of this ilk for those of us who are not into 40k). In any case these should give a good idea of the game and what can be done with it. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLliZQodsai-jQE5_WS-edlwmWL8o4jB2z

EDIT

Found the 1st campaign as well mate. here you go:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:51:46 AM by Fanis »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »
Thank you Fanis. I’ll watch that right now...

Offline commanderkaiser

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
Getting the book is well worth it. It really is fantastic. I was pretty lucky with getting mine. I missed the KS by a day or so, so sent a message asking if I could just paypal the money and get one which thankfully I was able to.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:11 PM »
The responses as well as the video have definitely convinced me to invest in TINAT. I intend to do so as soon as I can. I appreciate all the input.