Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 11:51:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lasalle 2nd edition  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Greuthungi

• Assistant
    • Holland 1787: Prussians vs Patriots
Re: Lasalle 2nd edition
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 10:03:16 PM »
Iíve now had a chance to play through the introductory scenario, using the basic rules only (so just one intervention order, and skirmishes affect only momentum).  This is a very interesting and innovative set of rules. The big thing is that the various phases of play (move/charge, volley, bombard, rally, change formation) happen in an order chosen by the players. Choosing a phase costs variable amounts of momentum, and if you do things near the enemy, the initiative switches (so long as they have momentum left) and they get to do stuff. This makes for a lot of interesting decision making.
Fully agree! I have played v1 a few times, but it didn't really catch on. Lasalle 2 is much more interesting with the twists during the order phase. It looks like this will be my go to rules for my 6mm armies. In 28mm I prefer a bit more detail, but that comes with a price in additional game time.
The only thing I found a bit clunky is counting the number of skirmish points available this turn. That is one of the few moments where buckets of dice are needed. Perhaps adding the number of skirmish dice to the unit base might make it easier to keep track (even if just on the roster).

Offline SteveBurt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »
I put all the skirmish dice for each side in a box lid. The number only changes if battalions form square (or march column) or are eliminated, so I take the relevant number dice out of the box when that happens and count sixes (more complex in the advanced rules if you break down formed battalions to reinforce the skirmish screen)

Offline Greuthungi

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 10:56:47 PM »
I put all the skirmish dice for each side in a box lid.
That is a smart solution. I'll try that too.

Offline Andrew_McGuire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 05:35:14 PM »
Antonio: Iím just the opposite. I even bought a used copy of Lasalle 1st edition from the US rather than download it. As I never played it and the 2nd edition is now out this has joined the ranks of my regrettable purchases.

I now have my copy of v 2, but have only read the introductory sections. I was a little disappointed that, unlike the 1st edition, it is a paperback. I recall that Blucher, which is in hardback, originally cost £24 but increased to £40 after a few months. Lasalle 2nd edition is only £1.50 less.

Iíve also just paid £32 & postage for the Essential Playerís Guide edition of Et Sans Resultat! which has a mere 70 pages.  The Complete Playerís Guide edition has 100 more, but is not currently available From the UK stockist, Magister Militum. Something of a tangent, but unfortunately these issues are becoming significant.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:19:33 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Easy E

• Mad Scientist
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 09:13:06 PM »

For anyone who hated Lasalle v1, this is nothing like those rules at all. Canít directly compare to any other set I can think of. Very interesting indeed.

I was not that interested before, but you have completely swayed me!
Blood and Spectacles Publishing Blog:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Free games, reviews, and discussion of Wargame design

Offline Greuthungi

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
Canít directly compare to any other set I can think of. Very interesting indeed.
It reminds me of the legendary Crossfire by Arty Conliffe. There you can continue with your turm until your opponent interrupts you successfully. In Lasalle it is not related to the success.of the interrupt, and you have a limited amount of actions per turn. Very exciting rules.