Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trying to find a miniatures company that I forgot the name of  (Read 2166 times)

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
They sell skeleton robots in about 25mm

They have aliens that looks like four armed insect men with a HUGE army ant heads.

They have a brain and eyes on top of a spine sort of like a worm.

They have easter bunnies, and a leprechaun for seasonal promotions.

They have a face hugger type of thing standing on its tail

They have a robot ant/spider with a big abdomen and sic legs about the size of a dog to their human minis.

They have armored hunters to shoot the ant head aliens.

They were pushing the aliens as a kickstarter campaign a while ago. That's all I can remember right now.

Please help if this sounds familiar.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Trying to find a miniatures company that I forgot the name of
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »
... and now I'm in the same boat as you... thanks ;) ... :) .

I know the range but I can't think of it either...

I am searching because... I need to know as well, now :D !

Here's an insect man: https://cpmodels.co.uk/shop/fcr01-ettercaps-i/

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:37:59 PM »
I thought you were thinking of either Rebel Miniatures https://www.rebelminis.com/ or Khurasan Miniatures https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/index.html but I’m not sure they tick all the boxes...

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »
Great cats, the hamsters finally let me log in again.  Only been years now.

To answer the question, you're almost certainly looking for RBJ Games Company:

http://www.rbjgc.com/

The Infestors are your ant-aliens, etc, etc.

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
Well I’ll be never heard of them before!

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:44:29 PM »
Well I’ll be never heard of them before!

They kind of used to be Fortress Figures back about 20-25 years ago, and still make some of those old figs - the not-ripperjack/facehugger things and the floating brains, for ex.  Used to cast them in some kind of restic along with a bunch of 6mm scifi vehicles they no longer make AFAIK.  There's a few of their more recent figs painted up here:

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2019/11/commission-work-rbj-significant-seven.html

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 12:32:48 AM »
Yeah! RBJ! Thanks! Now I may sleep.

Oh, BTW I thought it was CP models at first too but then I went to the CP and saw they were the one that makes the 16 Near Future soldiers in 28mm and the Federation (Blake's 7) troops and the weird trenchers with handkerchiefs over their faces and all the alien legion guys. Also they have the 6mm not-Nutrocker/Nutcracker tanks not from the MaK/SaF3d model line. And they have a bunch of cool wraiths and shoggoths and such too.

As for the Copplestone skeleton robots, both OLD, and more recent, I already have some of those which is why I wanted these other skeleton robots. And I have the Reaper cyber Reavers which are totally not Terminator endoskeletons, and some of the old Legions of Steel Nightmares, and the sort of Hana-Barberra-esque war robots that Andrea Sfigoli put out for his not-at-all Thundarr inspired post apocalyptic minis sold on Alternative Armies.

So now, that I have the RBJ skull robots and their similar gunslinger robots I guess all I need are some Rifts Skelebots?

Here's my "Ersatz Ice Pirates" project map so far.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:09:47 AM by palaeomerus »

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »
So now, that I have the RBJ skull robots and their similar gunslinger robots I guess all I need are some Rifts Skelebots?

If this is a general quest for skeletal/undead robots don't forget the old Deadtech range for Shockforce, loads of vaguely cowboy-themed skelebots in that one.  No idea if anyone still makes them, but there must be some on the secondary market yet.

If you're after Ice Pirate-ish droids, I always thought the Old Glory modular robots were a decent match when painted right, they have that low-budget SFX feel even if they aren't as obviously guys in suits.  Examples here:

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2020/01/modular-robot-miniatures-28mm-old-glory.html

I assume we're not mentioning the word "Necron" for some reason?

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
Well, I would not mind finding some old chaos androids from MB Space Crusade and the "original" metal necrons but the plastic ones look less like a manufactured thing and more like a puppet/monster suit. They come off more as visiting Dr Who villains than something a mad genius and his startup corporation might try to take over Oklahoma with. I want things that give the impression that they were ordered by and shipped to some dubious individual and might be stolen and hacked or welded to the hood of a truck.

I am not so much looking for skeledroids that landed in a saucer or teleported in from Enceladus or were accidentally released from a subterranean cybertomb by Dr Quatermass's young assistant or who sleep in heaps across the cursed Earth waiting to hear that the war is back on. Maybe the G1s violate this somewhat but they look kind of okay to me with a box magazine stuff in their left arm elbow. 

The metal multipart Immortals might be okay as they are hunched over if their double flayer didn't have the rods inserted and it was passed off as some kind of car melting MASER or something. I think they might be the wrong kind of exotic though much like the nominally skeletal AT-43 Therians who much resemble the killer robots the city unleashed in Blame. (Therians looks really good next to the Junk Golemn from the old Starwars clicky game BTW)

I want less actual horror and more "Ewww what? No, you're not robbing this bank with THOSE! "

Maybe I am more focused on knockoffs than the mainstream option. I was part of the Gen X irony thing at one point so maybe I am devolving towards some form of quasi-hipsterhood as I age. 

I do have some of the plastic Warlord terminator exoskeletons too.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 10:40:19 PM »
The ice pirates idea:

Very rough at this point. Just a vague conceptual outline.

It's going to be kind of a really mean spirited homage to Richard Borg's 3 lane order-card-driven battle mixed with a simple "Turtle Go East 3" programming language.

You'll have a controller with a personality that determines their morale and how they can effect the use of the cards.

They will have a crew of robots. Maybe 4-10 depending on how complex it is.

The robots will have strengths and weaknesses based on how expensive they are. You have to buy or upgrade robots in between games.

You give your robots orders from your card deck draws like in Memoir '44 or whatever. You have a right, left and center flank. You have objectives. You have weapons. You want to do stuff and stop your enemy controller and robots from doing stuff.  But it's hard because robots are dumb and also maybe you have lousier robots. Your controller if things go too bad can be run off the board because he doesn't want to get shot by robots and also he or she can be shot by robots.

That's all I have so far.

An unlikable protagonist, dumb robots, three lanes, and cards and ways to mess with cards, and combat and goals.

And it's implied that having goon robots is somehow normal in the context of the game. Be that revenge or stealing water or even trying to steal someone else's robots.

That's not much.

But it's enough reason to order some robots from RBJ.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »
They kind of used to be Fortress Figures back about 20-25 years ago, and still make some of those old figs
I did not know they were still operating in any fashion.  I still have about twenty of their old resin skulls and bones sat in the bits box.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 12:45:59 PM »
I did not know they were still operating in any fashion.  I still have about twenty of their old resin skulls and bones sat in the bits box.

I have quite a few of their disembodied brains and a few other bits and bobs as well.  They still have a website, but ordering is done through RBJ, which is effectively the same person...people?  Not sure if it's a one man shop or not.  As RBJ they've expanded a lot, partly through Kickstarters.

http://www.fortressfigures.com/primary/