Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689842
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mighty Empires  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
Mighty Empires
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
Last year, just as lockdown started, I decided to paint up my old Games Workshop  Mighty Empires models.

The original game comes with plastic flagpoles and some basic flags for each settlement, but I wanted something more flexible. In the holes provided for the flagpoles I inserted a small 2mm diameter 1mm deep rare earth magnet. I then used panel pins as the flag poles. Because panel pins are effectively just a type of steel nail they attach quite securely to the magnet, but can be removed to change the flag when required. I drew up some flags using a vector graphics package (Inkscape). The magnets also help to hold the models in place during storage. Unfortunately the choice of design for my initial test flags do make some of the castles look like holiday sandcastles, but I do now have a wide range of additional designs, based on Arthurian and Italian Wars heraldry, under construction.

To provide some colour I painted the flags on all the armies with heraldic arms attributed to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table http://ica.themorgan.org/manuscript/page/1/76850. I am working on a similar collection of flags for the towns and castles to compliment this. In many ways I would like to have one model for each knight described in this and other Arthurian Armorials, but as I would need another two sets of Mighty Empires to do this, I am very unlikely to complete this part of the project. Starting with these basic models, the scope of this project has spiralled out of control to include many additional items such as town walls, Orcish encampments, heroes and so on, but it has provided considerable entertainment over the an otherwise terrible year.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:59:26 PM by Galtisant »

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Mighty Empires
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
Very nicely done, adds a lot. I have this in the attic and must admit it has never even been played let alone painted
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:22:41 PM »
Thank you. I was never impressed with the rules, but the models have been calling out to be painted for some time. Sometime I intend to write my own set of rules for this, but I have not yet devised a system that excites me enough.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »
Nice!

these are fun pieces to paint.  I've never played the game, but have painted up ships, castles, towns, and villages to use with Man O'War.  I've got another batch of ships on the workbench right now; cut up into smaller pieces to make sunken ship markers.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:30 PM »
Lovely idea. I still have a copy and always think I should do the same.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
I still have my set in the loft. Loads of plans for it, never actually did anything  :'(

Those models just about broke me and led to me stopping painting entirely for several years. Not sure why, perhaps there were just too many of them.

I bought the newer plastic versions of the tiles as well, but have never managed to settle on a paint scheme :(

I do like the ships. I bought a load of 1/300 wagons from Irregular to use as supply columns, but never thought about ships.

Did you pick up the extra pieces at the time, like the mine and the wizard's tower?

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »
I have had my set lurking around for years waiting for the right moment to paint the models. I suspect that if started at the wrong moment it would have broken me too. When I did start I enjoyed the process so much that I bought a second set and painted that too.

I have some pack camels and horses on order from Pendraken, but thinking about it the Irregular Miniatures wagons would work really well too.

Unfortunately I did not get many of the extra pieces, but I did pickup a few skeleton armies on ebay last year, which were a joy to paint up.

As models like the wizard tower now cost more than I am willing to pay, I made my own models instead. Other boardgames, like the Disney Monopoly set, also have some really useful models too.

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »
Nice.  Lots of color!  No idea about the rules, but I'd love to play with the tiles.  I painted up some 1" ceramic tiles in similar fashion once.  I've never done anything with them, but I'm delighted to know I have them.  Toys, really.

My son, who has a 3d printer, sent me a link to this, and I think he supported it.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gravenguild/hexton-hills-tabletop-campaign-map-tiles

But I do NOT need more toys.

andy

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 01:38:51 PM »
I'm not sure if the Hexton ones are Mighty Empires compatible, although they do look nice. I think I remember that campaign, but I don't have a resin printer, so didn't back it.

There are a bunch of free tiles on thingiverse that do claim to be suitable for ME (although really the new plastic kits rather than the card one) - link

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 01:48:52 PM »
Brill  8)

It’s a shame that the new/er plastic ones have that daft ridge around them  :?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
Those Hexton Hills look really nice, but probably not compatible with my stuff.  If I had a 3D printer I would be very tempted to get some. Some of the thingverse models are very nice too.

Scans of the tiles and the rules for the original game are available online.

In the absence of a 3D printer, it is possible to make your own components, such as town walls and orcish villages, using card and PVA glue. My first attempts are shown below, but there are several several improvements that I will try to incorporate in future models.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:47:27 PM by Galtisant »

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:09:52 PM »
They work really well. I don't think my eyes are up to that level of detail anymore :-[

I had a look at the Disney Monopoly, but it's all Frozen stuff now, without much of use.

Irregular does some 2mm scenery - towns, villages etc. that are worth checking out.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 03:55:28 PM »
Brigade Games' Tiny Scenery have some fun options too:
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/SmallScaleScenery/index.html

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
Those Brigade Games models are very nice, but unfortunately look as though theyare too large to be compatible with my other models.

As I was bought up in Portsmouth I am particulary pleaed to see buildings like Southsea Castle and Spitbank Fort included in this range.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:37:30 AM by Galtisant »

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 09:10:40 PM »

In the absence of a 3D printer, it is possible to make your own components, such as town walls and orcish villages, using card and PVA glue. My first attempts are shown below, but there are several several improvements that I will try to incorporate in future models.

That's some amazing work!