Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:02:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690340
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Epic 30k - Burning of Prospero - the Armies so far.  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Epic 30k - Burning of Prospero - the Armies so far.
« on: February 19, 2021, 04:04:56 PM »
Another "side project". Always wanted to do some Epic Armies since I had a small collection of Epic minis back in the late 90s.

Want to do Burning of Prospero in Epic scale. Started with doing the Thousand Sons first. I'm not familiar with the Epic Rulesets and the army list looked a little confusing but I'm aiming at about 2000-3000pts (it struck me as almost anything goes, albeit like all 40k related reading doesn't want to straight up say it).

So anyway, I've got a Unit of Proteus Land Raiders finished, alongside a few platoons of Rhinos. I painted up one of the Proteus as a Space Wolves as a test. Final shot is what's on the work bench so to speak.

All minis are original 90s plastics, save for the Sicarans which are 3D prints

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:10:32 PM by Brummie »

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Re: Epic 30k - Thousand Sons
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »
Nice stuff. I started 30k epic and got side tracked. Love the 3D printed sicarans

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »
They look great  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:44:25 PM »
Epic threads always tempt me dig through the pile to find all the stuff I've got somewhere, good job.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
They look great, really like the red you have used, almost had a glow to it.

Check out Vanguard miniatures for epic sized 30k inspired models.

Regarding epic rules there are a number of original versions and a number of fan add-ons, so there isn’t that much consistency between lists etc. But in broad terms most of it works together!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:03:20 PM »
Thanks all!

Those Vanguard minis look really nice, alot of them are better than the originals by leaps and bounds! I may have to pick a bunch of them up to flesh the forces out with some variation. His newest Not Space Marine infantry look as close to 30k Thousand Sons as you're going to get in Epic scale.

Offline Ajax

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »
Great project and nice paintjob !

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 01:39:07 AM »
very nice, those 3d printer Sicarans look great - who does them?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:23:29 AM »
I believe the following (link to Thingiverse) are the files used.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3972307

I had them printed by someone else and it became apparent they had a lot of issues. I ordered 4 of each and ended up with 26 in total, the remainder having broken or having slight misprints, most of which were only minor and could easily be remedied by a bit of green stuff.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
These are largely Vanguard minis (except the classic Land Raiders)

The Sicaran hulls I have are in the fixed assault gun configuration, but I’m sure Vanguard do turreted ones too.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Those Sicarans are really nice! I don't think I've seen the SP AT Sicaran available for 3D print. Looks like a solid little force  :D

Where are the Drop pods from? Are those Onslaught minis?

When it comes to Proxies are they just to represent certain vehicles from 30/40k Game or are there rules that allow you to present them as unique variants as well?

Also, a slight detour (this thread will be full of them) I originally set out to do Blood Angels for Epic 40k as they've been a longstanding presence in wargaming for me since 1996 and were the first minis I ever owned. I wanted to do a Devastation of Baal campaign, but figured Prospero was likely easier to execute so sidelined the idea for now, but gathered minis for the BAs anyway. Today has been quite sunny and warm so took the opportunity to spray them up.

These are (bar the Mk2B Land Raider and Bikes), 3D prints I picked up online. I have mixed feelings on them, as they're both super detailed in places (Las cannons and Gun sights) and then utterly devoid of detail in others (Tank Hatches in particular). I plan to remedy this with Vanguard Minis as I noticed they sell Smoke Sponsons and other bits that'll make these "pop".

I've also attached a Picture showing how some 90s Epic minis and newer 3D Vehicles scale with the new Titanicus Buildings. Imo they scale quite well!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Those Sicarans are really nice! I don't think I've seen the SP AT Sicaran available for 3D print. Looks like a solid little force  :D

Where are the Drop pods from? Are those Onslaught minis?

Ta, that’s just the 30k heavies....

I’m fairly sure the Drop Pods are Onslaught, if not they are Vanguard. I seem to recall they come in both open and closed versions.

As to rules, I’m sure we had a 30k army list for Epic - it covered lots of options and units. We did find that it wasn’t balanced against other 40k lists, so we played lots of civil war battles. We’ve moved onto home brew quick play rules for Epic since then, but I don’t think we have had the 30k forces on the table for ages. Too many games too little time.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Epic 30k - Thousand Sons First Infantry Squads and Sicaran done.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 06:21:59 PM »
I caved in and bought some Vanguard minis. These arrived on Monday so have got down to painting the first few squads and finishing up the remaining vehicles I currently have for the Thousand Sons.

Also a comparison shot of the Vanguard marines with the 90s Rhino! Vanguard marines are 8mm in size, which makes sense as the basic humans are 6mm. Nonetheless the Rhino looks like a family car! But since GW have always been sketchy with getting the sizes right I'm not too bothered by this.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Epic 30k - Thousand Sons First Inf Squads and Sicaran Complete.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »
They look good!

I suppose the Rhino looks even smaller as its not based?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Epic 30k - Thousand Sons First Inf Squads and Sicaran Complete.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 10:13:29 AM »
You're right, it would help, but I was thinking more in terms of length.

Anyone who pinches a seat is going to have at least 1 squaddie on his lap, so whiplash claims will end up through the roof and emperor forbid they go over a landmine.  lol