Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: RGD Gaming: Plastic Centaur and Faun Warbands Reviewed!  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
RGD Gaming: Plastic Centaur and Faun Warbands Reviewed!
« on: January 31, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
Today we will take a closer look at the recently released Centaur and Faun Warband boxed sets by RGD Gaming, which is a relatively new wargaming company founded by the avid tabletop wargamer Robert Dunham. These new 28mm plastic fantasy miniatures are the first figures released by this company but more kits are already being developed as we speak including Satyr, Scythian Warriors and Ant Warriors. Check the full review here http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2021/01/rgd-gaming-plastic-centaur-and-faun.html
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: RGD Gaming: Plastic Centaur and Faun Warbands Reviewed!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:54:33 PM »
Useful review

I picked up the centaur box recently, and agree with all your points.

I hadn’t spotted that there was a male and female faun sprue so will go back and look at that. I’d also found it harder to swap parts between fauns and centaurs, so might have another look at that too.

I like the size of the fauns, they are tall and slender. But the centaurs are really quite small, as shown by your photos.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
Nice review! Yes, the fauns are bit too flimsy, the centaurs are a bit too small, but the overall look is still good. They have a new Kickstarter with satyrs: basically chunkier fauns.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 12:06:57 AM »
Useful review

I picked up the centaur box recently, and agree with all your points.

I hadn’t spotted that there was a male and female faun sprue so will go back and look at that. I’d also found it harder to swap parts between fauns and centaurs, so might have another look at that too.

I like the size of the fauns, they are tall and slender. But the centaurs are really quite small, as shown by your photos.

Oddly enough, the Centaurs are pretty straight on size for the current D&D centaurs there

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »
I ordered  a couple of sprues and am going to experiment with them as leshies (Slavic forest sprits) for my 1/72 RPG campaign. The leaf-like fur would look good painted green, I think, and the slender frames should work well with 1/72 - though as large creatures.

Oddly enough, the Centaurs are pretty straight on size for the current D&D centaurs there

Are those the Wizzkids ones? If so, that's good news for my schemes, because the man-size Wizzkids D&D miniatures make great large monsters (ogres, etc.) in 1/72, given their slimmer, more naturalistic proportions. I might have to get some centaurs too ...

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 07:01:45 PM »
Thanks for the comments, glad to see my points were all fair.

Would have prefered some larger and bulkier miniatures but that said they look really good when assembled.

Yes, there are actually two sprues one male and one female which is great.

Yes, they are currently funding some Satyr and other miniatures on Kickstarter and they look very good especially the Satyr.

Glad to see these more unusual miniatures being released in hard-plastic and at a very reasonable price and quality.

Hadn't though on the fur texture but as you say they would be excellent to represent leaves for forest spirits or critters.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Are those the Wizzkids ones? If so, that's good news for my schemes, because the man-size Wizzkids D&D miniatures make great large monsters (ogres, etc.) in 1/72, given their slimmer, more naturalistic proportions. I might have to get some centaurs too ...

With the Theros setting, there's a playable Centaur race...they're medium creatures which the plastic centaurs fit with. And are for the 1" base size

The monster Centaurs are still size Large, and the 2" base size.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 07:54:56 PM »
With the Theros setting, there's a playable Centaur race...they're medium creatures which the plastic centaurs fit with. And are for the 1" base size

The monster Centaurs are still size Large, and the 2" base size.

Aha - gotcha. Thanks!

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 08:07:41 AM »
The would make great bariaurs for Planescape :)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
The would make great bariaurs for Planescape :)

They would certainly be ideal!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 08:56:35 PM »
The smaller centaurs might actually work well for some settings - there have been a few over the years that had them more pony-sized than a large as a draft horse.  The old Lace & Steel RPG and the Tales of the Half-Horse comic it was derived from spring to mind, although the minis are a bit immodestly dressed for that universe.