Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More Greenskins - Ork Warboss & Nobz (new September 23rd)  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
More Greenskins - Ork Warboss & Nobz (new September 23rd)
« on: September 12, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
New on the blog, showcasing the colossal pain in the ass that's had me tied up all week.  Also some vitriol towards GW, if you enjoy that sort of thing.  More images and commentary on the figs over at the blog link:

https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/09/greenskins-ork-lootas.html

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:20:52 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Greenskins - Ork Lootas & Spannas converted and painted up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 04:19:26 AM »
Job's a good un!  8)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 06:07:54 AM »
Nice! I understand why they were a pain to paint!!

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »
I should mention that there's a non-zero chance that some of these (and a few other greenskins) went bounty hunting in Stargrave the other day, where they proceeded to murder a mob of gits lead by some weedy lad named Dogorin da Soleshark.  Aside from having a bit of difficulty with collecting suitable bits off his body to prove da job was done right to da Bad Moon what hired us it went pretty well.  All the dakka and screaming attracted some Beakies toward the end, but we wasn't gettin' paid for their scalps so we legged it rather than krumpin' 'em.

While the entire 40K range is ridiculously oversized compared to actual Stargrave figs, it was kind of viscerally satisfying to use the Emperor's Finest as randomly-appearing Stargrave pirates.  Marines seem like the kind of people who'd come muscle in on a nice private fight uninvited.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
Good paint job... And yes, your gripes (assembly/painting and leaders being killed off first) also both occurred to me too!

If it makes you feel any better (I suspect not...) these same issues also apply to Space Marines Devastators, their spikey brethren equivalent, and Imperial Stormtroopers.  o_o

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 01:29:55 PM »
If it makes you feel any better (I suspect not...) these same issues also apply to Space Marines Devastators, their spikey brethren equivalent, and Imperial Stormtroopers.  o_o

Being assigned as a Devastator (or Havoc) sergeant must be a punishment detail thing.  "It's this or a bomb vest and a frenzon collar."  "Let me think about it for a minute."  Almost certainly renders any insurance you have invalid, and I'm sure they insist you update your will before getting out of the Rhino/Thunderhawk/drop pod.  :)

And yeah, I know GW likes to explain it as the heavy weapons getting picked up by the sarge or any other bolter joes in the squad rather than them always catching the first few bullets, but it sure doesn't feel that way on the table.  One more reason to like Stargrunt more than 40K, as if I needed more.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »
Yeah, "somebody else picks up the gun" always seemed a bit odd to me too...  :?

Back in 2E, you'd combat squad the unit, and put the Sergeant in with four bolter brothers - if you upgraded him to a Vet you could give him a Combi-weapon, turning them all into a mini Tac squad with a special weapon. You can still do that now if you make the squad 10-men strong, but then the Sergeant can't pass on his modest benefits to the heavy weapons... Man, 40k rules really are half-baked sometimes!  o_o

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »
Yeah, "somebody else picks up the gun" always seemed a bit odd to me too...  :?

It's not wholly implausible, especially for super-soldiers who ought to cross-trained for using other weapons - but you'd sure think the fire that made a casualty of a power-armored geneered uberman would break their big gun once in a while too.

Man, 40k rules really are half-baked sometimes!  o_o

I think you can trace that (in part, anyway) to the slow evolution of the game from something designed to cover a wide variety of situations to a few increasing narrowly-defined ones, ie modern "matched play" scenarios.  RT was an attempt at simulating some kind of reality, even if it was a rather silly and implausible one at times, but it was extremely freeform in terms of what you could use it for.  2nd edition became a lot more formalized and army lists started to dictate gameplay a lot more, with really "out there" scenarios like fighting a whole skirmish on top of a single juggernaut mega-vehicle gone by the wayside.  Every edition since then has become more restrictive and more "gamey" and the idea of the rules simulating even an absurd reality of some kind just doesn't exist in 9th.  The closest you get is arguments about whether a given army or model is "fluffy" or not, and "fluff" rarely trumps mechanical efficiency or even a fondness for certain models any more.

• Mastermind
Re: Greenskins - Ork Burna Boyz (new September 15th)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 09:04:37 PM »
Another post with more greenskins, this lot rather more pyromaniacal.  Also more daft conversions for those blasted spanna models.  Commentary and many more images at the link:

https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/09/greenskins-ork-burna-boyz.html

• Mastermind
Re: More Greenskins - Ork Warboss & Nobz (new September 23rd)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 06:25:20 PM »
Still more greenskins painted up as I struggle to eliminate some gray plastic from my mountain.  Warboss Rakkit ('cause he's loud, ya know) and some nobz for him to go drinking with.  More photos and my usual snarky commentary on GW's inadequacies at the link:

https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/09/greenskins-ork-burna-boyz.html