Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689348
  • Total Topics: 118276
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargame Rules for Trojan wars  (Read 5006 times)

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
Wargame Rules for Trojan wars
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
Hi All Fellow Wargamers,
I haven't seen anything in this blog which may answer my question. If anybody knows of a thread like this I apologize in advance. :'(
What I am looking for is a set of large skirmish rules for playing the War of Troy, something involving roughly 50 figures per side with rules for characters as well as rules for common warriors.
I am thinking of creating house rules for adapting Mortal Gods or Outremer (this latter is devoted to crusades but has interesting features applicable to earlier periods IMHO).
Is anyone aware of something like what I have described?
TIA
Marco

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wargame Rules for Trojan wars
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 04:20:04 PM »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline serran

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 04:34:03 PM »
I've used Dux Britannarium from the Two Fat Lardies with a few modifications for heroes.

Roderick

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 06:02:24 PM »

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 06:03:57 PM »
I've used Dux Britannarium from the Two Fat Lardies with a few modifications for heroes.

Roderick
That could be a good idea. I have the rules but never played since we use Dux Bellorum.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 06:29:08 PM »
I have a fairly dim memory of a Saga mod for the Trojan War that appeared in one of the major magazines about five years ago, complete with Designs for battle boards and command dice. I regret to say that’s as far as my recollection goes.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 07:20:15 PM »
My suggestion would be mortal gods if you were going to go for a more classical Grecian version of the trojan war, but perhaps test  of honour wih its smaller units and emphasis of heroes might be a good system to look into? provided of course that you dont mind messing with the rules :)

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 07:59:17 PM »
I have a fairly dim memory of a Saga mod for the Trojan War that appeared in one of the major magazines about five years ago, complete with Designs for battle boards and command dice. I regret to say that’s as far as my recollection goes.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will investigate for finding this expansion.

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »
My suggestion would be mortal gods if you were going to go for a more classical Grecian version of the trojan war, but perhaps test  of honour wih its smaller units and emphasis of heroes might be a good system to look into? provided of course that you dont mind messing with the rules :)
I must say that I like more TOH than Mortal Gods and I have no prejudice in adapting and/or mixing various sets.
So in the end if I don't find a specific set I will have a go with your advice :)
Thanks

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »
I have am old set called "Before the Gates of Troy". Mainly a skirmish set for heroes with their retainers. Originally sold by Redoubt miniatures. No idea if they are still available.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 09:19:59 PM »
I’ve done a bit of googling, without success as far as the piece in question is concerned, but found an article on TMP from 2009 titled Would You Game the Trojan War? Amidst some facetious comments there are a few which might be of use, including reference to a two-part article in older issues of Wargames Illustrated about adapting WAB. Whether this can be tracked down now is perhaps doubtful but it may be worth a try. There’s also some discussion of adapting GW’s LotR rules.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 09:27:59 PM »
There’s also some discussion of adapting GW’s LotR rules.

I was going to say this actually. The Fate/Might/Will element for Heroes would work well for Homeric heroes, if the idea was a Mythic version of the Trojan war.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »
I’ve been considering the rule set Tribal: Honour is Everything by Mana Press for some time and having just reread the summary wondered if it might have some application in a Homeric setting. While ostensibly geared towards ‘primitive’ non-European warfare - the cover illustration depicts a Polynesian warrior - I gather from previous comments on LAF that the mechanics are readily usable in other contexts.

As the subtitle states, the game is all about accruing honour, which seems not too dissimilar to the motivation of Bronze Age heroes and would-be heroes. It may therefore be worth considering.

Edit: I’ve just learned that the main rule book is OOP but Caliver Books appears to have it in stock - in what quantity I have no idea.

Further edit: Eureka Miniatures UK have stock of the rule book and both supplements.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:01:22 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 11:22:24 PM »
Beat me to it. I was going to suggest Tribal as a possible option. I get the impression that the recent Eureka Bronze Age Greek range was commissioned with this in mind.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 11:38:43 PM »
What can I say? I appear to be on a roll. And I’ve just noticed a thread from 2012 referring to another old magazine article about using Triumph & Tragedy. Unfortunately I have no idea how to copy and paste on my phone but I assume the threads suggested below this one are visible to everyone.

Also, there is a new RPG by Osprey called Jackals which is set in a mythic Bronze Age. It may be too detailed for the kind of large skirmish game the OP specified, but on the other hand I imagine there must be quite a bit of useful content.

I think I’m about done.