Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargame Rules for Trojan wars  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Alex Pyrrhus

• Student
Re: Wargame Rules for Trojan wars
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
“Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy” # 82 has an article providing a Bronze Age variant for “Lion Rampant” called ‘Chariot Rampant.’  You can purchase a pdf copy from the Karwansaray webstore. 

I think “Dragon Rampant” might actually allow for an easier process of warband building than LR since the former lacks the medieval terminology of the latter; permits Single or Reduced Model units to easily reflect the powerful Heroes such as Achilles and Hector; the Wild Charge unit trait easily provides a design for effect rule limiting command and control of the more aristocratic units; has many different unit types and traits giving many customization options; and has the fantastical elements already ‘baked in’ should you prefer Homer to history.  Of course, the shortcomings of the activation system and the lack of unit flanks may degrade your enjoyment of the system.

“Sword & Spear” is a significantly ‘heavier’ option with lots of interesting tactical decisions based on the pulling and rolling of dice to reflect command and control and battlefield friction.  The Army Lists are free on the publisher’s website, but does not have an entry for the ‘Trojans.’  I would suggest using the Hittite list as the Trojans may have been Hittite vassals or allies.  You could also use the Minoan and Early Mycenaean list as Homer describes the Greeks and Trojans as fighting in the same manner.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 11:30:30 PM »
Ethelred
From Memory we only give 5 or 6 extra attack dice to Achilles or Hektor.
They are the Uber Heroes.
The next Tier is characters like ,Greater Ajax, Diomedes , Odysseus  , and Aeneus, Sarpedon get 3 or 4  bonus dice
Lesser Heroes maybe 2 dice.. Paris only gets one combat dice but 2  shooting dice  .
Hope this helps
Cheers

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2021, 11:41:43 PM »
OOps almost forgot

Chariots are in squadrons of 3 , Heavy chariots in 2.
Some spear blocks / regts we run 12 spearmen , and a musician , standard , and 4 archers in the 3rd back rank.(looks much better with a bit of bulk )
Thus the spear block does have a small shooting ability, 6 dice .
casualties come off the front rank for combat.

There are several warband units ( Lukka and Myrmadons )
Several light inf swordsmen units .
Several units of Cavalry ( Redoubt) 6 figures each .
about 24 units of 6 skirmishers , bow javelin sling
We do have veteran units and they have Front Rank fighters in the front rank ( mostly foundry ) , they fight a bit  better.
The  Final unit I call the Sons of Priam ,or Trojan Heavy Inf ,  mostly in Dendra Armour ( Redoubt Miniatures ) they look great .
Cheers

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
I'm building some Trojan war armies for To the Strongest as a big battle approach. The major heroes will be generals and leaders and the lesser ones hero tokens.

This is interesting though as has got me thinking about skirmish level gaming for it too so will be interested to see how you get on. Might be easy enough to homebrew a system with the right flavour, especially of there's already a set of skirmish game mechanics you like as a base.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »
Not sure about how to handle a more realistic take on it, but, locally, there were a couple times that people have put on events using "Of Gods And Mortals" to handle it.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
https://app.box.com/s/6o501pmpgq7n3kpsvorqav2j0msxjf0w

I am a fan of those too!   lol

I think I need to build a campaign system and some scenarios for it next!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2021, 12:26:46 AM »
I confess, you've inspired me to have a go at home-brewing some skirmish rules for the period, as it is ideal for it. Had a brief run with a prototype tonight, good fun and built a nice narrative. Definitely one I'll be tinkering with some more.

Offline goingaviking

• Student
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2021, 09:21:20 PM »
I've used Dux Britannarium from the Two Fat Lardies with a few modifications for heroes.
The Too Fat Lardies 2017 Summer Special contains a Trojan War expansion for Dux Britanniarum by David Parker called 'Sacker of Cities'

Offline Barry

• Student
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 07:34:58 PM »
VonAkers, for the mixed spear/now units in DL, how do you cost the unit? Or is it one unit of spears, and a unit of scouts added?

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Hi Barry
Points wise we are playing large games so 60 points per player from memory.
You could add a point or two to the unit cost to have the shooting ability , i suppose we didnt really as both sides had aprox the same number of such units .
In a 24 point game this would be more important .. in our games not so much .

One thing I will say is when all the figures are single based ... Nothing looks better .. its like a diorama ..!!!!!!!!! and is fun to play.
Cheers

Offline Barry

• Student
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2021, 08:24:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to try it!