Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pawns of the Dark Prince  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Pawns of the Dark Prince
« on: February 22, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »
I've started working on my Slaanesh army again.  Last week I tried to get most of my old pile finished before the new stuff came out.  I was fairly successful and got about half of it done. 

I've had Sigvald the Magnificent sitting around half finished since he was released a long time ago.  I liked the model at the time but wasn't really doing much GW stuff then so he got started but was never finished. 

Inspiration is a fine thing I suppose.  It is nice to have him done. 

Then I got down to finishing my Keeper of Secrets.  This thing has been sitting on my desk about 90% finished for more than a year.  I kept trying to get started on it and would pull it to the front and just do a brush stroke or two and it would make its way to the back of the desk to stare at me. 

It is finished now.  I really like this model.  It is statuesque and finally has a look to it that is not entirely bestial.  While the older Keeper of Secrets were fine models, it was difficult to see how they could be alluring. 

And while I was at it I put together and painted another 5 Hellstriders.  I have 5 more of these to do but I'm combining them with some parts from the new Painbringer set.  We'll see how that turns out.  I like the two that I've done so far.

But the new stuff came out this weekend past and I started on that instead of finishing up my old pile.  I still have the 5 mentioned Hellstriders as well as a big lot of Daemonettes, but I already have a bunch of Daemonettes so there is no rush on those.

Here are the first two Painbringers. 

I have their leader done but need to base him still and I'm about 90% finished with the first of the Slaangor. 

Hopefully I can get these two boxes done by Wednesday of this week and then tackle the new Sigvald after that.  My plan is to convert him into a Heresy-era Fulgrim. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: Pawns of the Dark Prince
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 05:33:08 AM »
The leader of the Painbringers is finished.  I've painted up the last two of the lads but they aren't based yet.  I'll get them sprayed and based soon though.

That will be half of what I want the painbringer unit to be ultimately.  I'm going to my FLGS tomorrow to see if they have another box of them. 

I also managed to finish a Slaangor.  I've been pretty excited about these coming out.  I think this is my most anticipated Chaos release in a few years as Slaangor are the only dedicated pantheon Beastmen not available until now.  At least in the time I've been playing.

They released metal pestigors and Khornegors a while back and then they released Tzaangors, and a few variants, since 2016. 

Now we have Slaangors. 

The models themselves are very nice and I'm pleased with the sculpting.  The price seems a little steep for only getting 3 of them in a box with little in the way of different kit types to build.  Still I'll probably be making a ten man strong unit of them. 

Next up are the two other Slaangor.  Then it will depend on what is available at the FLGS tomorrow as to whether I tackle that next or the new Sigvald figure. 

Offline onlysix

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:28 AM »
Great job. hope to see more ​💻​👍​
🎲 ϩ𝟠ʍʍ Ƒìցմɾҽ φąìղէҽɾ 🎲
♥️  Follow me on Instagram #onlysixblog

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 11:03:45 AM »
great stuff.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »
Nice work! It always feels good to clear off models that have been sitting on the desk for too long.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:22:26 PM »
Thanks!  I'm glad you guys liked them.  I finished the last two Painbringers I have and took a snap of the champion guy from the Slaanesh and DoK boxed set.

Here is the group shot:

These guys look pretty much exactly like I want Slaanesh dedicated chaos warriors to look.  Regal and pompous but decidedly malevolent. 

I'm really happy they are doing dedicated chaos warriors again.  We still need some for Nurgle and Tzeentch but I'm hoping they will get there.

These are the last two to be finished from the unit.

And here is the boss

He is an odd sort.  All of his gear is hooked into his skin. Different stokes for different folks I guess.

I'll work on finishing the Slaangors tonight. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 02:10:38 AM »
The first unit of Painbringers are done.

I wanted to do a unit of ten of these guys.  I will probably only have one unit but we'll see. 

But for now my Painbringers are done. 

I really like the figures.  They can be put together in such a way that you can make 5 completely new poses which is nice.  I kept the tops more or less the same and put them on different lower parts.  The guy that was made into a leader can just be made into a regular guy.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 07:37:48 AM »
Gorgeous. Especially the Keeper. Just about to start a small Slaanesh warband myself, once the goods arrive, so will keep checking in on this one

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »
New minis look good and you’ve done great golden paintjob.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
I've finally finished the Slaangor.  I'll need to get some more of those the next time I see them in the shop. 

Here are the latest two:

The models are great.  They are actually surprisingly easy to paint.  When I first looked at them they looked like they would be a real pita, but actually once I got started they were quite straight forward.  Not as easy as the painbringers, mind. 

Here are all three of them together.

I'm looking forward to getting my Direchasm box in because that will have one of them armed with a sword which I will use as the leader for this warband.  I'll probably get another box of three of them and run them as a unit of seven.  That should make them appropriately slicey.

Next up though are the blissbarb archers.  I've finished painting one of them so far as kind of a test model and I like how it turned out.  Hopefully I can get a couple more done today but I'm on-call so we will see how it goes. 

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 07:20:06 PM »
they've come out great.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 12:48:39 PM »
Thank you. 

Here are the first of the archers.  I have another 3 painted now but they aren't based yet. 

After that I've got another Slaangor, two more archers and a chick with a naginata-looking weapon. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 03:25:03 AM »
My Hedonites finally got their first game in today.  They took on their arch rivals and the gaolers of their deity, the Lumineth.

It was a gritty battle with almost all of the Hedonites killed by the end, but they managed to pull out a victory in the end.

We played outside, it was about 40 degrees F out so there were some jumping jacks being done when it wasn't your turn, still a fun game. 

This was the battle as it started.  The Hedonites had to capture the two objectives in Lumineth territory or get 18 Depravity Points. 

The Slaanesh cavalry is fast, these guys were able to charge the High Elf cav on the first turn.  Both sides were more or less wiped out in the subsequent combat.

The Chariot and Slaangor then tried to break the Elven phalanx.  They failed pretty miserably when Eltharion joined in the scrum wiping out the Slaangor pretty much single-handedly.

The left flank cavalry charged in to the elites anchoring the elven right.  It wasn't much of a fight, the tough elven warriors unhorsing (or unsteeding) the chaos troopers without much loss.

There were few of the Slaanesh forces left at the end of the game, but even in their death throws they were able to dedicate their experience to the god of extremes. 

At the end of the fourth turn they reached their 18 Depravity Point total and went over by 3. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 02:01:04 PM »
I snapped some pictures of the whole gang while they were out.

Here are my Twinsouls

These are some of the old (circa 1995) Chaos Slaanesh champions.  The new Twinsoul models are pretty cool, except I'm not too keen on the heads.  I may get some eventually but for now these work pretty well.

And they were dirt cheap, I've had them since I was in college!

Here are all the new Hellstriders:

I converted one of them to have a weapon from the Twinsouls box.  I have a couple more converted like that and they still need to be painted. 

The Slaangor finally have a leader:

This is the Slaangor that comes with the Beastgrave set plus the ones in the regular boxed set.  There will be at least three more of these excellent models added to the unit.

Here are my older Hellstriders.  I've had these guys for several years now, since 2016 at least.

Their brave leader:

I used him as Syll'Eske in yesterday's came because the rules for the Slaanesh Lord kind of suck although I love the model.

My chariot has also been around for a while. 

While it is an impressive looking model it is totally pants in the game.  I think it managed to kill a single model yesterday.  It can take some hits but doesn't dish much out. 

Here are some more archers.

These models were a beast to get together for such small figures.  They do look good and the dynamism of the poses is amazing.  There are still 3 figures to do for this unit.  I want to get started on them today.  The impact hits rule that WHFB had was replaced by giving the horses a +1 to hit and wound with their attacks, making them, by far, the deadliest part of the chariot.

And here is the whole gang:

This army is just about finished.  I'll paint the last of the archers and the remaining 4 Hellstriders I have soon.  I have a bunch more Daemonettes and I will get those finished by and by but there is no rush on them. 

The only things I will probably still buy are the new Fiends, which look great, and another set of the Slaangor, at least one more set that is.  I love those models and will include them in both this army and my Beastmen horde.

The new Seeker cavalry is very cool looking and they might make it into the army eventually, but they would probably have to replace my hellstriders as the size seems too different for them to be riding the same beasties.  Of course it is chaos, so I suppose anything goes. 

I may eventually get a shardspeaker as well.  That will probably be something that makes it into the army if it is ever released as part of a Start Collecting set in the future. 

I do have the new Sigvald model but I'm converting him into a 30K primarch.  Originally it was going to be Fulgrim but it might work better as Sanguinus.  We'll see. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:02:38 PM by Pictors Studio »

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »
Here are the last 5 archers. 

I finally finished their haemonculus, probably the neatest figure in the set.  He also gives them bonuses for hurting people with their arrows, a giant bubbling bowl of skulls being fairly poisonous, I suppose.

That is probably the only set of those that I'll get.  For the size of the force, and a chaos army, that is quite enough shooting.

I'm still working on hellstriders and finished another one. 

These guys look really cool, although not as cool as the new models.  I have 15 of them though, so rather than the new models looking so much better being an enticement to buy them, it is actually a hindrance as they will put my 15 current ones to shame.

Such is life with improving quality of figures.  I'm quite happy with the ones I have though and always thought the claw arms were a neat nod to the mutating power of Chaos.

I bought one more set of Slaangor and still have another Hellstrider and a bunch of daemonettes to do.  I think the only other thing I need to buy for this army to make it feel complete is some of the new Fiends which look amazing.