Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689840
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Prince Louis of France, The Lion 28mm  (Read 3674 times)

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
    • Facebook blog with my work
Prince Louis of France, The Lion 28mm
« on: February 22, 2021, 05:04:32 PM »
Edit: I'm adding pictures of the finished mini to the first post. Scroll down if you would like to see work in progress pictures.

Right now I'm painting Prince Louis of France, The Lion for my friend David.
I will be sending him updates so I guess I can post them here as well.

Today I cleaned and assembled the mini. Louis is pinned to his horse with a paper clip to ensure that he won't fall. The shield is too thin for pinning so it may fall off at some point (for now its not glued so I can have better access to his front. I also added some gravel to the base and undercoated the entire mini.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:35:31 PM by MaaX »

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
Re: Prince Louis of France, The Lion 28mm
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 10:36:52 PM »
Today I started with base colours. I didn't have to be precise with the first couple of colours. I covered cloth on the horse on both sides, base and chainmail. Then I moved to shading the blue, I used two layers of blue wash. The first one was very diluted as I wanted it to be subtle. Second coat was stronger and I covered only deep recess and sharper edges. Then I applied French Lilly decals to the shield. I will try to paint them yellow like it was in the reference photo.
I thought that the horse has some sort of ear covers as it looked kinda like that on the mini. But taking a look at the reference mini from Baron's War rulebook I don't think that this is the case. I will re-paint them brown like the rest of that horse.

Sorry for the small pictures, my usual hosting site is offline atm. They should enlarge when you click on them.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 02:29:57 AM »
Nice fleur-de-lis. :)

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:33:43 PM »
Thank you! Decals of course, I don't feel confident enough to free hand those especially on someone else's mini. :)

Today I started with highlighting the blue and then applied all Lilly decals. The bigger ones I cut off individually from the sheet as they were too close to each other. In the reference photo from the rulebook the large Lilly symbols on the horse's cape were more separated from each other.
The smaller Lillies for the tunic were good enough for me as they were and I applied them straight to the mini without changing them.I painted some of the webbing(probably the wrong term for a knight) and applied the first layer for gold bits. I also repainted Lillies on the shield to yellow, 3 layers so far 1 tan and 2 yellows. Some more yellow ant then highlights and shading. Once I'm satisfied with the lilies on shield I'll move to painting them on the horse and the knight.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:10:28 AM »
That's a lot of decals on one mini! :D Looking very sharp.

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 04:59:42 PM »
Thanks!

I'm trying to achieve something like this:

I'm not there yet with my freehand skills so I ordered some decals unfortunately they are white. But repainting shouldn't be a problem.

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 11:53:31 PM »
I finished the shield today and started painting Lilly decals on the horse's cape.

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
I'm back with my vacation and back with another update.
Today I was all Lilies on horse cape and on Luis's dress. I had to apply a few layers of sandish color before I switched to yellow to build up the color. I was also doing touch ups with blue after each layer to correct any mistakes. It was a very slow process but there were no other way to do it. In addition to that I painted the other side of the shield, not sure if it's going to be visible tho...

Overall the project is going pretty slow but I don't want to rush it. Painting Lilies is more difficult than I thought even with the decals as templates.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 08:25:03 AM »
Loving him!

Cheers
Matt

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 10:10:34 PM »
Thanks! :)

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 11:29:40 PM »
That must be painstaking work but it's paying off.

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:20:57 AM »
Yes :) The Lillies were pretty hard to paint even with the decals in place.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »
Lovely work  :-*

A question if I may? Who makes the Fleur-de-lis decals (please)?

And a constructive suggestion, if I may be so bold? Maybe make the highlights of the Fleur-de-lis a bit starker to make them stand out and possibly look even better then they do? Just lighten up the yellow on the extremes of the design so that it really stands out.

Offline MaaX

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 10:38:29 AM »
Lovely work  :-*

A question if I may? Who makes the Fleur-de-lis decals (please)?

And a constructive suggestion, if I may be so bold? Maybe make the highlights of the Fleur-de-lis a bit starker to make them stand out and possibly look even better then they do? Just lighten up the yellow on the extremes of the design so that it really stands out.

Thank you!

Decals are from Green Stuff World - https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/245-waterslide-decals I used the "Heraldry" set.

I could try to add some brighter yellow or white dots at the very ends of the "leafs" (?). So far I used brighter yellow on the edges of the leafs it stands out quite well but doesn't look that noticeable on the pics.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 11:36:37 AM »
Thank you!

No probs. :)

Decals are from Green Stuff World - https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/245-waterslide-decals I used the "Heraldry" set.

Thanks for that. I did not realise that GSW were doing decals!  8)

I could try to add some brighter yellow or white dots at the very ends of the "leafs" (?). So far I used brighter yellow on the edges of the leafs it stands out quite well but doesn't look that noticeable on the pics.

I would suggest of a lighteryellow - veering almost towards a white. That way you will get a contrast within the same colour band. Food for thought anyway :)