Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rabble Required  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
Rabble Required
« on: February 23, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
Hi All
I'm playing ECW in 15mm using FK&P.
I need some Rabble: peasants, clubmen, the mob...you know what I mean.
My collection is Peter Pig and Hallmark, so I'll get the rabble figures they have available, but I'm looking for a bit more variety. I'm using units of 16-20 figures a time, need three units.
Anyone got any suggestions please?
Cheers
R

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rabble Required
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »
Look outside of their ECW ranges. You can pack out a unit with some medieval or ancient figures.
Look for ones in tunics, even bare legged, as you can paint the legs as trousers. Cast in spears
can be bent into scythes, or flatten the end & cut it into fork prongs.  Medieval Bills are/were
based on agricultural tools stuck onto poles. Still works for ECW rabble.

Also try Irregular miniatures. Even if you don't find what you want, it is worth having a word with him.
Some years ago a friend asked if he planned to do any wagon guns for Hussites. He got my mate
to send him some drawings of what they would look like, & cast them up for him!

When I started doing AK47 I didn't notice that as well as the 'Army' you needed to have models
for the things you MIGHT get due to the Political bonus system. I needed (quickly) a lot of rioting
thugs. After consulting another friend with a similar army, I padded the mob out with just about
every spare 15mm figure I had. Look closely at my mob & you might notice:- ancient archers,
medieval peasants & even the occasional Egyptian chariot crew member!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
I think Essex Miniatures and Museum Miniatures have suitable figures.  Don’t know how they fit size-wise with PP and Hallmark. From memory the latter are quite small.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:29:03 PM »
From memory the latter are quite small.

Nothing wrong with the occasionally burley peasant surely?

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
My ECW clubmen are solely PP. About 150 of them in total. Solely from the PP clubmen pack*

A combination of headswaps and paint colour variety has hopefully provided a rabble.

More pics https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2019/09/clubmen.html

Tricky when the captain caveman figure is so obvious due to his pose. Axe man and pitchfork man are less obvious.

Size wise Matchlock are great height wise ( although they are noticeably better fed), some of the Freikorps match well (some don't). Minifigs do some useful figures but again size varies dramatically. The Hussite peasants match PP spot on, the ECW peasants are a head taller (as are Essex). The MM are certainly daintier than PP, and are a smidge shorter.

Some Matchlock characters, Freikorps camp followers, & PP sprinkles here https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2018/01/villagers.html

There are a few other figures in the PP range that are useful - ECW sprinkles pack, AWI happy workers pack (need a little green stuff on their bare feet to give them shoes, and work better with a headswap).

* Clearly a blatant fib, a few happy workers thrown in for good measure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:21:15 PM by Radar »
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose