Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars hats  (Read 1683 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Star Wars hats
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »
O.k. bit of a button-counting question:

Is there a difference between the caps worn by rebel troopers on Hoth and the ones in Rogue One?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: Star Wars hats
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
I would say yes, apart from the obvious colour difference, the flaps and the shape of the rim are different.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:02:05 PM »
Be that as it may, at a cursory glance they're similar enough to be heaped together. Besides, the Rogue One ones are obviously meant to be a nod to the Hoth ones.

Then again, I'm not a rivet/button counter, so I may be a bit more casual about this sort of thing.

Also; at 28, 20 or 15mm, who's gonna notice? :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
The Brim is longer on the hats in Rogue One.
No self respecting gamer would ever put those on the table together.
 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

/sarc

they look close enough

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »
Also; at 28, 20 or 15mm, who's gonna notice? :D

At those scales, not me.

But I'm looking at 1:1....

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
They appear to be the same, or more specifically, they seem to be intended to be the same.
The R1 hats are just of a different color.

Any minor differences are explained by differences in production quality.  For ESB they were for looks on film, not intended to be "real hats", and done by the fast/cheap methods of the day.  The R1 hats are actual hats, since the machines to create such things are readily available to anyone, and certainly today's production companies.

The Rebel Legion and 501st accept them as the same, and those are the people that I would look to for standards on that.
- Scott

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »
Actually there are a few differences between the R1 and Hoth, mainly on the neck cover.
The big question is the quilting. Most photos of the Hoth quilting is a diagonal/diamond pattern stitchline, but most R1 quilting lines seem to be rectangular.

Bit difficult to know since Lucas had most of the original Hoth extras caps destroyed at the end of filming (to stop them being re-used for other productions?) but Alinger's book on the original trilogy has a few clear pictures, plus there are good online photos of the surviving Hoth cap that got auctioned a few years ago

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:56 PM »
The big question is the quilting. Most photos of the Hoth quilting is a diagonal/diamond pattern stitchline, but most R1 quilting lines seem to be rectangular.

Arrrgghhhhhh!  One of the reasons I left most historical gaming is to avoid this sort of minutiae. (I game Russian Civil War, but the standards of that time were that anyone actually fully clothed and shod was doing OK, and that a cockade, star or stripe on your hat meant you were in uniform.)

If you need 50,000 quilted hats, I wonder whether anyone bothers specifying the direction of the quilting.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 06:03:48 PM »
If you need 50,000 quilted hats, I wonder whether anyone bothers specifying the direction of the quilting.

Thankfully don't need 50,000 just currently struggling to stitch one together

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »
Arrrgghhhhhh!  One of the reasons I left most historical gaming is to avoid this sort of minutiae. (I game Russian Civil War, but the standards of that time were that anyone actually fully clothed and shod was doing OK, and that a cockade, star or stripe on your hat meant you were in uniform.)

For costumers that sort of minutiae is what they live for!

At the time of ESB, no, they didn't specify.  The pattern is coincidental. It's the orientation that allowed the largest number of hats to be made on a bolt of fabric.  For R!, same thing.
They are pretty obviously intended to be the same hat design.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
For costumers that sort of minutiae is what they live for!

At the time of ESB, no, they didn't specify.  The pattern is coincidental. It's the orientation that allowed the largest number of hats to be made on a bolt of fabric.  For R!, same thing.
They are pretty obviously intended to be the same hat design.

There's also the train of thought that includes the ESB ones being based on Russian army surplus....