Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Old West version of Zombiecide running  (Read 3290 times)

Offline terrement

• Librarian
[KICKSTARTER] Old West version of Zombiecide running
« on: February 24, 2021, 04:16:23 AM »
Not connected to the KS, but stumbled across it.  Don't know the size of the figs yet, but some interesting characters in the lot.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/zombicide-undead-or-alive
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:03:24 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Old West KS version of Zombiecide running
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 06:03:19 AM »
I enjoy Zombicide, but I admit I've never found the games to be different enough to warrant more than one.  I have the KS version of Black Plague still kickin' around...and I ended up selling off Massive Darkness because of the similarities.

Being an Old West fan, I'd have rather owned the Old West version...but I don't think I need the same game even with tweaks.  I suspect it will be rudely successful (it already is!) and will be a fun game.  I hope they work on the balance a little bit though.  We frequently find game-breaking combos that make Black Plague really easy.

Definitely looks like a solid game - love the dice ideas.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:58:43 AM »
I own 2 Z'cides already ( Black Plague and Green Horde ks all-in )and played a couple of earlier versies aswell and I've grown bored with it. They just change the setting, tweak a few rules and that's it.
Lots of miniatures, fun to have and fun to look for the inspiration for that model but no, rather spend my money on some serious old west models..
Leadhead

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:53 AM »
Love Zombicide - been in it since the first kickstarter. I have all the first 3 seasons, but can't justify adding to the mountain with the fantasy, sci-fi (or now old west) 'reskins'.
That said, I nearly caved on the Night Of The Living Dead version as that looked to be offering something a bit different.... lol
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »
Never played any version of Zombiecide.  I was really just looking at the minis. 

Agree about the Night of the Living Dead game.  I would have picked it up if I had any "play money" at the time.  But I suspect with my history, interesting or not, new ideas or not, it would end up in the "Ooooooh!  A New Shiny!!!" graveyard.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:59:45 PM »
Oh I am sooo going to buy this if it comes out. If for no other reason than the gatling gun!
Enjoy Zombiecide and love the Old West. Already looking forward to painting the survivor figures.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »
I really like these games but handing over money for over a year is something I am not a fan of

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 08:11:57 PM »
I really like these games but handing over money for over a year is something I am not a fan of

Understood and generally would agree.  CMON is well known and has a track record of successful KS efforts so I have every confidence in their ability to deliver.  OTOH, I have been bitten a few times on KS early on, one of which was a well-executed scam from the start but they kept it live by posting regularly with what seemed to be updates on what would have been a great computer game - if there ever actually was a game.  Turns out all they were doing was creating animated displays showing "progress" but they were all stand alone presentations.  Eventually they stopped updating, then started lying about STEAM Keys being available, then disappearing.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1317934609/forsaken-fortress
is the KS and you can still run the videos from their updates.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 09:24:30 PM »
I have no question that they will deliver. I just don't think that they need to be getting my money this far out.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 10:42:34 PM »
I have no question that they will deliver. I just don't think that they need to be getting my money this far out.

CMON kickstarters are basically huge pre-order systems. You get more (kickstarter exclusive content) for paying them approx a year up front.  They sometimes/often are a discount on retail (but you can get similar prices if you wait/shop around, especially if the game is not that great) if careful.

You can question the value of the extra stuff but enough people like it that it works for them. :)
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
Anyone with experience of their recent games care to guess whether the miniatures would size well with Black Scorpion and the likes (bigger ranges)? I have a feeling they would, but it's just a feeling.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
The original zombicide figures I have are just a shade under 32mm to the top of the head. The ones from Invader come in at 36mm, with overall proportions increased to match.

They increased the base height on the newer ones (much closer to standard slotta bases) but, even allowing for that, the originals barely come up to the chins of the new ones.

I'd bought them to use with general SF figures, but they're just too different. They're sized more in terms of Star Wars: Legion (possibly even GW Primaris). I don't have any Black Scorpion figures, but Invader are definitely on the large side.

Having said that, Zombicide is more a boxed game than a wargame, so CMON are under no obligation go with the same sizes each time :(

Offline terrement

• Librarian
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Old West version of Zombiecide running
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »
I asked CMON at their KS page, and they responded as follows:

"CMON

February 19, 2021

Hi,
Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Undead or Alive.
The average size of the miniatures is 25mm base about 32mm to the eye level.
Thank you again for your interest and have a good day.
CSR Overclock"

So there you have it straight from the horses mouth.  I think 32mm to the eye puts them at slightly larger than Black Scorpion but I'm not certain.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 08:55:57 AM »
I literally don't know where I put my Black Scorpion figures, so can't go measure them ( ::) ), but I think that sounds about similar.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »
I was into the earlier versions of Zombicide. I have all of the modern and fantasy sets/expansions/exclusives.

Sci fi, night of the living dead and second edition were my breaking point. I have enough.

Wild west is a huge interest of mine. But i probably have 100-200 painted figures that rarely see the light of day.

I'd like say I'd like to back it but I don't. Good luck to them! They've already smashed through lots of stretch goals so there is good value for the money but there's just too much.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone. I'm just saying don't let FOMO or completionism guide your decisions. Many of the exclusives you won't use. When we play Zombicide, we know what characters have synergy and who our favourites are. $100s worth of plastic minis sit unused. I have it all but such a waste.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...