Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:03:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ever got frustrated...  (Read 2153 times)

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
Re: Ever got frustrated...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 05:38:20 PM »
In the past I had various projects at different states of completion, usually different scales, different companies and different rules. Most would get abandoned due to the amount of work and I would look for something new and shiny that was more exciting.

After dealing with this for a long time I decided to try settle on a single scale and period, the idea being that it could be used for either small or medium skirmish games, which are my preferred sizes for games.

My big project for the last 2 and a half years or so has been 28mm Sengoku Jidai Japanese. I've completed and painted about 80 minis and a good amount of terrain and I made a fair effort not to start other projects, after many years of uncompleted projects. I'm happy with my progress but occasionally I did just need something different. So I have a box of Perry AWI Continentals, built and abandoned. Also a box of Perry Prussians, yup, built and abandoned. Some Foundry minis for Old World Warhammer skirmish ... actually primed and ready to paint. Also I bought the Blood Bowl 2020 box on a whim and I really enjoyed building the black orcs, which are primed and ready for painting.

What these diversions made me realise is that I will be sticking to Japanese for my medium model count gaming. I really couldn't start any other period with 50+ minis a side, it's just too much work and expense. But blood bowl teams, small skirmish bands for various games make a nice distraction and change, so when I go back to my Japanese I have a bit more fire in my belly than if I just plodded on with those alone

Edit: although for a long time I've been toying with the idea of doing some skirmish in 6mm or 10mm, on a shrunk down table. Don't know if it would work for something like Pulp Alley but maybe larger skirmish. One for the future perhaps
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:50:27 PM by sonicReducer »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »
Can't say I have dropped a project because I get frustrated. I have lost interest and moved on.
I have also bought things for a project on a whim and then realized I really don't want to paint these.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »
Yes, but more from the realization that its easy to spend money then paint figures, and the more you buy the less inclined you feel to paint.

I have quite a lot of ongoing projects, but bar the big one (15mm sci fi), the rest are small and consist of only a few squads/units. I tend to revolve between projects to keep interested so as to not get painters block.

Now reaching the excellent age of 30, I've noticed I keep coming back to the same time-periods/themes over and over again so I tend to hold onto what I have and have noticed I'm getting it done it fits and starts.

Still make the odd mistake though and buy something I regret but nowhere near as bad as before. 

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 02:38:16 AM »
I rotate projects. I acknowledge that this means that certain projects will take years to complete but it keeps me from getting board.

I've established a two project per scale and genre standard. For example, I'll work on two 10mm fantasy armies at a time. This keeps me from bogging down with a single project and it keeps me from buying more models till I've got room in the line.

I've got two open 10mm slots right now (thanks COVID! Plenty of extra painting time) and have one 28mm fantasy project on the painting table with another still in the box.   

Variety helps keep things moving, even if it slows down an individual project.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »
ive lost much use of my hands....my hobby is over.

That's awful.

Do you still get to play or was the painting your favourite bit?