Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686456
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cabinet of Shame  (Read 4270 times)

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Cabinet of Shame
« on: February 26, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
In one of those oh too often conversations about the space that my hobby takes up and how few games are actually played with my wife I said that I would get rid of a few things (still to do) and sort out my other stuff.  Her biggest bug bare is the Batman city chronicles game I bought but have not played as yet (there are 30ish figures painted - what more does she want).  So I suggested buying a display cabinet to put some of the stuff in and reduce the areas into which my stuff had expanded. 

As such bought a glass cabinet to replace and old CD case - It wasn't as tall as I would like as space on top but I could get additional shelves to put in in  Case arrived and jammed as much into the 4 shelves that it had with it (additional 9 shelves delayed).  The more I could fit and clear space the happier she was going to be - The current project of Landsknechts are prime example as 10 currently blue-tacked to each base for 4.  This weekend its time to add the additional shelves (big job as have to partially dismantle to add brackets  :-[).  Then as much as possible needs to go in - the Batman stuff, the Hellboy kickstarter, the Joan of Arc kickstarter plus all the other bits and bobs that can stand up.   Game boxes to go into the attic  (but that will be next pressure point).

Once complete I will have the cabinet of shame showing all the figures that I have painted and all the figures that I haven't - probably a lifetimes work.

Am I alone in this?

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: Cabinet of Shame
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »
I got divorced 5 years ago... the reason on the paperwork actually states miniature collecting  ;D

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 01:36:41 PM »

Once complete I will have the cabinet of shame showing all the figures that I have painted and all the figures that I haven't - probably a lifetimes work.

Am I alone in this?

You are going to display your unpainted stuff? :o

I cram as much unpainted lead into as small boxes as possible just to minimise its apparent volume and spread it out around the house.  God forbid it should all ever expand to its actual volume and appear in one place.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 02:07:05 PM »
 I think my miniatures collecting is more of an addiction.There are miniatures all over the house including the bathroom.Loads of boxes in the attic and on top of cupboards in various rooms.Loads on the landing and in the passage.Just goes to show how this hobby like others can and does take over your life.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 02:11:21 PM »
I got divorced 5 years ago... the reason on the paperwork actually states miniature collecting  ;D

Maybe I should start listening to my wife’s complaints about my pile?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »
Where Herself's concerned...

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 05:57:38 PM »
Everyone knows, if you paint all your models, you die the next day.

We shall all live forever, as our shelves of shame grant us immortality. 

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »
You are not alone in this galaxy.

For my figures I have a lot of metal boxes, and 6 IKEA metal chests of 6 drawers each stacked in different parts of the house and that's still not enough ...but the main problem is terrain elements, terrain boards etc. they need an entire room.

You are going to display your unpainted stuff? :o

:o  I am also surprised to read this. I've often been on naturist beaches and sometimes in naturist camping sites, but... what? displaying unpainted miniatures!?  :o Ooohh that's something I would never dare to do in public!

There are miniatures all over the house including the bathroom.

That would be for naval games and submarine warfare?

lol That's a good one, I'll repeat it!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »
My mountain of miniature tat. My study, my Shed, and part of the log cabin..

And some of the loft.

Oh the odd new thing turning up that will get in there somewhere.

But less of that now. Age, reality and other factors, financial etc.

Its not my shame, painted or not, its a sanity, a retreat into madness and calm, away from the everyday, the infection of reality's harshness.

Others have shoes, some have handbags, some even football or something, to save them from the everyday, work, and, others.

I have world's in miniature, and games to play - to keep me sane enough to be able to interact safely with the others outside.

Although the medication no doubt helps, and my Wife's patience and some amount of restrained understanding.

To my great shame I will admit, I lack a basement.

That would really be useful to store some of my tat...

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Moved house about 18 months ago which enabled me have my own games room. The previous owners left a decent sized display cabinet which houses about half my collection, about 900 painted 28mm. The remainder are in box files with about 450 still to paint. So from reading some of the above posts that doesn’t seem too bad.

I have plenty of space now but limited opportunities to game and slow painting speed tend to limit my acquisitions.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:22:04 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »

We shall all live forever, as our shelves of shame grant us immortality.

I might be dead by the end of March then - I've only got about 80 Emhar WW1 British Infantry and 50 Doughboys left to paint!

Apart from the odd display piece my painted and unpainted mini's, games etc. are kept in the loft due to limited storage space and for the sake of marital harmony. I have the odd model dotted about, although the wife won't let me hang the planes from our bedroom ceiling.  :'(
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »

I thought it was 'whoever dies with the most unpainted models is the winner'

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:48:38 PM »
I'm dealing with this matter thoroughly right now. I won't start typing the full rant because it would take too much of my precious time, which must be spent elsewhere (and the lead pile definitely plays a major role in that act), but I'll post anyway to get a possible reminder about this topic. :P Let's see if the situation gets any better in a few weeks, so that I can finally tell war stories. :-I

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 11:43:07 PM »
I was banished to the garage many moons ago (not as bad as it sounds I double skinned the walls, put in a heater, added a raised floor and some carpet tiles it's very cosy). It works well the garage is my domain and I can do what I like down there as long as my hobby stays there. The house is hobby free (apart from the odd reference or rule book) and my marriage is a serene sea of calm and tranquillity  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:04:48 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 07:10:12 AM »
My problem is what to do with the painted stuff. All my unpainted stuff is packed neatly into roughnecks stuffed in the basement (probably about 2500 minis). Once painted (pffft lol ) it's going to take up a lot more room. I've been buying foam trays and RUB's as fast as I get stuff painted but it takes up much more room than it does when it is loose and unpainted in bags and boxes.

I better start throwing out some of my wife's crap....