Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Preferred paint rack?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Preferred paint rack?
« on: February 26, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed before but I'd like to hear the latest ideas on how to rig your paint bottles and jars of different brands and sizes for easy overview and access, taking in account limited space.

I am sick and tired of my paints cramming the table and I'd would like somehow to have them on the wall before me, organized in basic color groups independent of jar/bottle type. Perhaps with the most-used paint closest at hand.

Both ready made and DIY solutions are of interest.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Preferred paint rack?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
I've got a couple of these for Scalecolor/Vallejo/Reaper paints: https://www.sleepingdragonhobbyshop.co.uk/product/large-round-vallejo-paint-rack/ mounted on cake spinners so they turn easily.

I *try* to keep each segment separate - reds in one, blues in another et cetera but after a while it is just muscle memory remembering where certain colours are.

CdA/Foundry/P3 are in a 3 drawer box I got from Smiths years back (sadly no longer available.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »
I've cut one from 3mm acrylic for my GW paints and will do others when we've moved.

cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 03:58:57 PM »
I've cut one from 3mm acrylic for my GW paints and will do others when we've moved.

Why aren’t you fancy? Suppose I could do the dame in mdf. Do you use Citadel exclusively? I nurture a hope to find a system which work for different paints in one section, if you catch my drift.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
Fancy pants  ;D

(can’t stand the smell of burnt mdf and the clear ones look smaller/appear to take up less room).

My Foundry paints are in an older IKEA drawer thingy but I’ll do a clear rack for those as well as the inks and craft paints I’ve got eventually. The IKEA thingy is quite bulky.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »
Maybe try looking into nail polish (nail varnish?) racks, on Amazon/Ebay/the usual places?

They typically come vertical styles and stepped ones, although carousel and other types are available too.
They normally have a lip at the front of each shelf to keep all the bottles on them, and are made from clear or black plastic. Strong, lightweight, and cheap, they also accept a variety of bottle sizes too (in case you have different brands of paint).

Some examples here, here, and here.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 08:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, peeps.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:45:16 PM »
Most of my paints are Foundry and I have tribune-style mdf racks for those. Stepping into WW2 I bought some Vallejo paints and didn,t have the space to store them. I have 3D printed some holders and used two sided tape to stick them on the side of a closet (also have some for the size of Foundry pots).

DJ

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 09:33:12 PM »
After storing my paints in several drawers for almost a decade, when I moved rooms with my hobby desk, I bit the bullet and not only built a new desk, but I also ordered a full desk's worth of HobbyZone modules:

And even though they take a bit of assembly and initial getting used to, I am extremely happy with them now. The paint racks on top are great, because I can now finally take in all tints of a particular colour at a glance, well lit by my overhead LED lights, where I often had to swing out my desk light to properly pick out a colour in the previous setup.

I use 4 racks that hold Vallejo bottles (plus two triangular home made filler pieces for the gaps next to the center one), plus one plain one for all divergent bottles.

But I've also taken to using a couple of the HZ drawers for more paints (they're to the right of the WIP case); I still have a handful of GW paints (that I didn't want to buy a rack for) in two, and I have doubles of some bottles in the racks that are almost empty, in another.

Oh, and these were CNCed, so no burnt odour or blackened edges either!

Great stuff, these HZ modules. Not expensive individually, but when you need a full setup, things do add up quickly...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 11:12:52 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 09:42:15 PM »
I use 7 tier nailpolish racks.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 09:45:52 PM »
Hmmm. I have a lot of ,oils,enamels et cetera. The excess gets stored in cases(sorted into types),and what’s on my bench is what is needed at the moment. Needless to say it only partially works... :)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:49:22 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 10:46:19 PM »
I've got a "craft cart" thing that I found at the store which is basically a set of drawers on wheels...it fits my paints, inks, larger glues, and similar things in it. Adds a bit of space with the metal piece on top and the sides that I can add things with magnets to.

Sure, it's the bright colors of a kids art class, but it works and the thing seems nigh indestructible...including to the dog knocking it over and I just had to move a few things back into place inside the drawers.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 12:02:03 AM »
Most of my paints are Foundry and I have tribune-style mdf racks for those. Stepping into WW2 I bought some Vallejo paints and didn,t have the space to store them. I have 3D printed some holders and used two sided tape to stick them on the side of a closet (also have some for the size of Foundry pots).

DJ

That is extremely tidy! That tribune rack looks like its been made by a professional, correct?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 12:05:18 AM »
Hmmm. I have a lot of ,oils,enamels et cetera. The excess gets stored in cases(sorted into types),and what’s on my bench is what is needed at the moment. Needless to say it only partially works... :)

lol A genius at work, obviously.