Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Storage: Video Boxes any good?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Storage: Video Boxes any good?
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »
So, I'm cleaning out the house and stumbled 2 large banana boxes full of old video's. As I'm also reorganising the lead pile and have a constant need for new storage boxes ( and some are only half-filled ) taking up much space, I was wondering. How about using my empty video boxes for storage boxes? Would they be strong and sturdy - and handy - enough for lead / metal miniatures. Pro is that they would fit easily onto shelves. Cons, are they sturdy enough or woukld the weight push them open when stacked?
Any thoughts/experiences with those?
Leadhead

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Storage: Video Boxes any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
Not sure if they still do, but Mantic used to ship their Kings of War figures in VHS boxes. They came with a couple of thin foam inserts and the idea was that once you'd build the plastic figures you could use the box to store them in.

So yes, I'd say it's possible, you'd just have to be careful with how the figs went in to avoid bending anything (especially with metal figs).

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »
Thanks. I was planning to use some felt insert in the boxes and put the metals by group in small plastic bags first. But the weight might be the biggest problem...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 11:57:42 AM »
Well, I think Mantic used to sell their kits in video boxes that had two thin sheets of foam in them, so that when you'd painted the unit, you could re-use the box to store them in afterwards. I think they still do their Dreadball teams like this too.

Lots of people appreciate this, and I think they're okay for something like boardgame figures, where the models are robust and the number of pieces is limited. However, I personally don't think the boxes are very good in general (using lots of them for something like an army wastes a lot of space), nor are the models especially secure insure unless you have a deeper foam insert with cut-outs.

There's a review, along with photos, on a blog post I found here:
http://wargameguru.weebly.com/in-focus-review---mantic-games-introduction-to-the-undead.html

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
They did and they do.

Have a lot of Deadzone expansions etc packed in them, and still do, but thats mostly resins and plastics

As others said com with two foam inserts and are ok, some are a bit loose around the clips but functional enough.

Certainly reminded me I have to clear loft in the next couple weeks and there are videos in cases up there.. that could contain minis instead

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 05:06:47 PM »
if the models don't have too many spiky bits or are just being stores on the shelf then they work rather well. they do have a tendency to slip around a bit when in transit tho. but thicker foam could solve that problem/

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 07:48:55 AM »
Thanks guys. Will have a go with some smaller lumpier models... Got around 80 video boxes around so that would mean more money towards new models rather than money towards storage boxes ;)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 08:05:42 AM »
I've found the cardboard boxes that photocopier paper comes in do very well with a litle trimming to the needed height. Sturdy, light, and cheap.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 11:09:25 AM »
I use A4 plastic boxes (meant for storing paper) which are probably of reasonably similar construction (if a little bigger). Lined with ferrous paper and magnetic bases on the minis keeps everything on good shape I find. Am sure foam would do a similar job.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 05:09:28 PM »
I've found the cardboard boxes that photocopier paper comes in do very well with a litle trimming to the needed height. Sturdy, light, and cheap.

How do they stack on shelves? My models mostly are 28mm lead alloys so quite a weight... Alto copying paper stacked is quite heavy too, of course

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 05:02:37 AM »
How do they stack on shelves? My models mostly are 28mm lead alloys so quite a weight... Alto copying paper stacked is quite heavy too, of course

The weight is borne by the sides, where there's greater strength. I do 10mm, however, so the numbers might be different in your case.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 03:14:45 AM »
Stackable muffin boxes are super cheap and great for storage and transportation if you use magnets. They come with little trays you can put the muffins in and lift out, but flipping them over so the muffin holders are on the bottom give you 2 layers just right for 28mm human sized models (no pikes!) and removing it is suitable for larger beasties. I used to store my mantic models in the plastic cases until they hit the floor and switched over to muffin transports fully. Less mystery arm piles for sure.