Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any love for Blood Bowl? - Necromantic Horrors  (Read 7324 times)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Any love for Blood Bowl? - Necromantic Horrors
« on: March 01, 2021, 02:41:00 PM »
I bought Blood Bowl (first Games Workshop game for 25 years) to try and coax my sons off their computers.

It is actually quite fun and very different to the first edition game I have in the cellar.

There doesn't seem to be that much posted on it here but I thought I would catalogue my efforts to paint up the teams.  This is the test figure for the humans.  I've gone with orange, white and blue in homage to the "mighty" Luton Town FC.

'm pretty chuffed with how it has turned out.  There will be a code on the feathers.  White are linemen, Blue for the bodyguards, orange for the blitzers and no feathers on the throwers.

The Orcs will be painted up in the colours of the LA Rams (my son's favourite American Football team, plus Yellow and Blue should look good with the Orcs).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:49:35 AM by jon_1066 »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Any love for Blood Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
He's looking great so far. Great job on the face, to boot!

There doesn't seem to be a lot of BB posts, you're right. I have a decently long log over in the 'Other Adventures' section as that's where I thought BB posts went, but I think BB posts here in 'Fantasy Adventures' actually ends up with more eyes on it?
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120886.0

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »
Bloodbowl is technically one for the Other Adventures Board but I tend to agree that it often gets overlooked there and gets more of an audience here. Personally I don't mind seeing aimee painted Bloodbowl stuff or game reports appear here though.

I tried the same with my boy but he's probably a little young for the rules as he got a bit frustrated with the rules. You're off to a good start so I'm happy to see your full team appear here.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:52:10 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 04:59:14 PM »
Not wanting to start anything, but to me Bloodbowl is a fantasy game. Not entirely sure why LAF has always treated as 'other.'

My brother had the big box edition that came in the late 80s/early 90s? Played it a couple of times but it never really took off with us like its contemporaries Space Hulk and Adeptus Tighter Knickers did.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
 love Blood Bowl and have recently got back into it. There are numerous companies, virtually all from mainland Europe, that make teams. I have nine teams right now and may get some more. My son loves it but does it on computer where he plays in a league.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 08:12:45 PM »
One of the great games, I’ve resisted the new edition - so far; no doubt I’ll pick up the new rulebook at some point. Meantime I’m playing like crazy online.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:23:17 PM »
I've got a love hate relationship with Blood Bowl,  but my hate mostly comes from the computer game version and its dodgy RNG.

I prefer Dreadball as tabletop board games go, because its quicker and just generally more my cup of tea, but I do appreciate Blood Bowl, its a classic. The new version is quite shiny and I've been tempted to pick it up...

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 08:35:17 PM »
I've got a love hate relationship with Blood Bowl,  but my hate mostly comes from the computer game version and its dodgy RNG.

I prefer Dreadball as tabletop board games go, because its quicker and just generally more my cup of tea, but I do appreciate Blood Bowl, its a classic. The new version is quite shiny and I've been tempted to pick it up...

You should take a look at Blitz Bowl (it's what my log posted above is mainly about at the moment). It's designed by one of the two who worked on Mantic's Dreadball, plays in about 30-45mins, and only uses a single BB sprue for a team, so about 6 models. It's a fantastic, modern reimagining of BB and I'm just as happy to play a game of Blitz Bowl...and I'm a 25+ year BB player.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 09:07:57 PM »
I was recently gifted a complete box set of the original Bloodbowl. It looks great.

Tony

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I guess if a mod wants to move it to Other then that's fine.

He's got some pals

I gave the blitzer fancy shoes as he seemed the type (also helps identify him further).  Looking at the photo I think I will add a bit more "shine" to the shoes of the lineman and bodyguard like I have done for the thrower.

The new human figures were a bit of a pain to stick together but are fun to paint.  The box set seemed cracking value at £63 from a box shifter.  You get two teams, two biguns, two star players, a very nice pitch, dug outs, custom dice and even two referees.

My lads are 17 and 12 so sort of the right age I think for this.  Bloodbowl is very luck heavy.  The eldest verdict is even more frustrating than playing Fifa on the PS!  Doesn't seem to stop him playing that though.  The youngest loves the chaos.  A particular highlight of our first proper game was my bodyguard show boating into the end zone using rushing.  I was praying for it to come up with a 1 and it did so he promptly fell over, spilled the ball into the crowd, it flew back off pitch again, flew to one of his players and he scored a touchdown on his next but one turn.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:48:10 AM by jon_1066 »

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 06:31:02 AM »
They are looking great! Looking forward to see more.
Have You plans for the bases?

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »
I should have pointed out when I commented previously that I am the moderator for the Fantasy Board and I have no problem with Bloodbowl being here. Obviously the non Fantasy variations would not be so appropriate, but figures such as the ones you are showing are quite clearly fantasy.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 08:57:49 AM »
You should take a look at Blitz Bowl (it's what my log posted above is mainly about at the moment). It's designed by one of the two who worked on Mantic's Dreadball, plays in about 30-45mins, and only uses a single BB sprue for a team, so about 6 models. It's a fantastic, modern reimagining of BB and I'm just as happy to play a game of Blitz Bowl...and I'm a 25+ year BB player.

Unfortunately Blitz Bowl isnt widely available, from the website under "Where to buy".

Blitz Bowl will be available in select independent retailers in the USA, Canada and Germany, including Barnes & Noble stores.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
They are looking great! Looking forward to see more.
Have You plans for the bases?

Thanks.

I haven’t decided on basing yet.  I thought I would go for green grass on the humans and mock astrogranite for orcs.  I like the idea of grass but we are more likely to play on the astrogranite side as the squares are easier to see.  I therefore might stick with basically grey coloured sand for all.  Might add pitch lines on the linemen if it’s not obvious enough who is who.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »

Isn't there Guild ball as well? I've heard good things about it years ago but it looked to have become bloated or had poor balancing of late?

Bloodbowl is one of those background games which never really dies. There's always 2 or 3 people wanting to start a league at the club and pulling new people in. It's been that way even when GW abandoned it for a decade or more. It's one of those nice games where you can always have a team and some dice stashed in your carry case for minimal space.

It's interesting American football is the wargaming sport of choice. I don't think there's a wargaming football or wargaming dodgeball is there? Maybe it's playing too much Speedball as a kid getting into designers heads.. I'd still love a wargaming dodgeball where goblins and elves are throwing spiked balls and explosives at each other. Needing anything but a 1 to catch the ball and getting blown up would lead to a lot of laughs