Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:43:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686646
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic 28mm French Resistance  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wargames Atlantic 28mm French Resistance
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 08:46:27 AM »
Having only a few bodies works when you are doing uniform wearing troops, but the lack of variety REALLY stands out when you have irregulars such as these.  Their individual dress of each will always stand out no matter how many different shades you paint it!

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 08:47:18 AM »
Cool but I suspect Partisans 2 will probably be Russian types, rather like every other bugger produces and I have more than enough of those.

So little love for the Yugoslavs or Italians. I would have thought that ‘Force 10 From Navarone’ would have left a bigger footprint on the wargaming world but it seems not.

I have written them trying to get some sense of what that (1) stands for, and above all I have inquired about whether they plan to make Italian partisans (which I have been converting for years now). They were kind enough to reply immediately and wrote that they are thinking about them, but made no promises. To repeat an earlier point I am obsessed about, if only anyone would make a decent 28mm head with an alpino hat... sigh..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:49:32 AM by malto cortese »
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 08:53:28 AM »
speaking of which, has anyone tried these: https://www.jjgprint3d.com/page-d-articles/têtes-italiens-alpini ?

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 09:08:48 AM »
But... Only 4 bodies? (And not including a kneeling figure, as depicted in the box art?) So you get 8 identical frames in the box? Honestly, I think this approach is poor.
I want to like WA, I really do. The quality of what they produce seems pretty good and to be improving all the time. But I want more variety from a box of plastic figures. Just four different bodies in a 32-figure set is feeble.

It does seem to have a slight 'toy action figure' feel to it, with the bulgy shoulders and oddly dramatic stances ... but perhaps I'm being picky, looking for natural poses on a multi-part set. Yet when you think about all that could have been done with the body positions - kneeling, standing, walking, squatting - as well as the glaring absence of female subjects (surely a must with French resistance, non?), plus typical equipment - shotguns, hunting rifles, BARs, Molotov cocktails, explosive charges, binoculars, commando knives, Very pistols - it does look like the set is part way through development and has just been rushed out.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »
I think that’s a good summary Cubs. My feeling is that WA have a lot going for them, but they’re very committed to speed, and this is selling short some potentially excellent kits.

Still, I guess from their point of view, they could take twice as long and include twice as many components, including all the things you’ve listed, and a better variety of bodies, which would presumably cost them twice as much in design and tooling costs - but they’d still only sell for 20 quid a box (or whatever), so the only question is whether they would sell twice as many sets.

This seems to be the equation that is driving many of the plastic ‘historical’ figure kit manufacturers down the road of offering the minimum possible in a set - Gripping Beast taking the biscuit in this regard, comparing their more recent plastic sets with their original Viking and Saxon sets. But several of the others have followed suit.

Thank God for Perry and Victrix who are dedicated to producing excellent quality kits which include generous numbers of different bodies and a wide variety of components.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 01:28:27 PM »
speaking of which, has anyone tried these: https://www.jjgprint3d.com/page-d-articles/têtes-italiens-alpini ?

If you are interested in the quality of the JJG product , Tancrede's Bir Hakim thread on this board has numerous French heads from that company. https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128435.0

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »
If you are interested in the quality of the JJG product , Tancrede's Bir Hakim thread on this board has numerous French heads from that company. https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128435.0

Thanks ! that's where I got the information from ;-)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »
I have written them trying to get some sense of what that (1) stands for, and above all I have inquired about whether they plan to make Italian partisans (which I have been converting for years now). They were kind enough to reply immediately and wrote that they are thinking about them, but made no promises. To repeat an earlier point I am obsessed about, if only anyone would make a decent 28mm head with an alpino hat... sigh..
I know they are Greek but they could pass for Northern Italians?
https://gorgon-studios.myshopify.com/collections/world-war-ii-partisans
dunno if these are any use?
https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/28mm-ww2-italian-infantry-platoon-and-support/

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
I know they are Greek but they could pass for Northern Italians?
https://gorgon-studios.myshopify.com/collections/world-war-ii-partisans
dunno if these are any use?
https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/28mm-ww2-italian-infantry-platoon-and-support/

Thanks Truscott Trotter! I have the Gorgon ones, they are beautiful and I bought them the moment they came out. And you are right, at least some of them could pass for Italians. Too bad they only made a few.

Not sure about the other ones, I haven't seen them and from the pictures it's hard to judge their quality . But thanks anyway!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
I agree with Cubs. Been waiting years for a female Franc-Tireur. If a company were to make a nice figure of Simone Sigouin (her of the shorts and the MP40) as in the (I believe) Robert Capa photo, I would bite their bleedin' hand off.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »
I agree with Cubs. Been waiting years for a female Franc-Tireur. If a company were to make a nice figure of Simone Sigouin (her of the shorts and the MP40) as in the (I believe) Robert Capa photo, I would bite their bleedin' hand off.

Well now, if little boys and girls are good and say their prayers every night, they might just find that Bad Squiddo are going to expand their WW2 range with some French Resistance in a few months ... and she might be on the list.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 12:39:24 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) lol lol lol lol lol
Well now, if little boys and girls are good and say their prayers every night, they might just find that Bad Squiddo are going to expand their WW2 range with some French Resistance in a few months ... and she might be on the list.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »
The details look pretty clean and crisp, I'd go for a 2 sprues for conversions, but not 8 identical sprues.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2021, 07:32:45 AM »

But... Only 4 bodies?

Excellent, isn't! From  a single frame you can put together the famed three-headed maquisards of Hautes-Alpes!  ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »
So has anyone assembled any yet?