Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690461
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modern french army - 28mm  (Read 13115 times)

Offline madman

• Scientist
Re: Modern french army - 28mm
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 07:52:48 PM »
Thank you for the links. I was hoping the rules might be a pdf as then I could translate it to English. That is what I did with OPEX. I then read it and changed it into gaming English instead of Google translate messed up English! I will have to peruse the various parts of the discussion forum and see if I can glean the game mechanisms in order to see if I will buy a copy anyways.

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 07:17:27 AM »
The best I can propose you is to send a message to the autor of the rules.
He can explain you the rules better than me, and maybe you can work together on the translation.
My blog, for personnal and commission work, and sometimes other things too => http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »
I found a couple videos on youtube which I hope to try to understand. I think I understand spoken French better than written. Hopefully they show the aspects of the rules I am interested in.

Somewhere I saw a reference which stated the rules are a French version of Bolt Action. Not good as I find BA a pretty sad game when compared to the likes of Chain of Command (WWII) or my favorite skirmish rules Ambush Alley (I still have to expand into Force on Force yet). We shall see. Thank you for exposing us to what else is out there.

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »
Some game mechanics are an adaptation of BA rules (dices in a bag for activation, for example), but with som twists (to continue with the dices, you add a black and a white dices in the bag : one end the turn, the other is for a special event).

The game is more complex than BA due to modern equipment (ballistic protections, smoke, NGV, helicopters,...) but as far as I can understand without trying the game myself, the game mechanics are simple enough.

The troops characteristics allows to modifiy training and moral, so you can have a fanatical civilian militia (poorly trained but high morale value) or conscripts, for example. A little bit more realistic than the 3 levels of troops of BA.

But you will not find the CoC game mechanics...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 01:52:07 AM »
Question, how do those 3d printer figs compare size wise with Empress modern French? I don't mind if they are a a bit shorter like the Eureka figs are.  ;D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 09:50:36 AM »
Question, how do those 3d printer figs compare size wise with Empress modern French? I don't mind if they are a a bit shorter like the Eureka figs are.  ;D

As I have no modern French from Empress, it will be difficult.
Here is a pic from the "Au contact" forum showing Eureka (front) and JJG Print (back) models :

I have no better pics, and the only Empress models I have are WW2 Italians.

Just keep in mind those ranges cover different periods (as far as I know) :
- Eureka : early 2000s => late 2000s
- JJG Print : early 2010s till now.

For Empress, they are more actual as they are fielded with the new HK416, delivered after 2018, and some actual clothes.

But for me, the Empress range lack of backpack (and some equipments to field a whole battle force : JTAC, drone controllers, special forces, heavy sniper, medium machinegun,...), and as they are fielded with HK and not FAMAS, it's impossible to mix them with other ranges for now.
Remember  that french army don't mix equipments in the same unit, so you'd better don't mix the different ranges in the same army. 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
Makes sense logistical. I was going to use the Empress to represent different I units in the same theater.
So they do seem to be about the same size as the Eureka mins then. Which is good because I have a few of the Eureka FFL. And I was planning on uaeing them as allied Francophone African or Asian national Troops. For a fictional country and conflict. 

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 12:55:25 PM »
Makes sense logistical.
Yes, french army is deploying new equipment/weapons/tanks regiments after regiments.
So a whole force will look the same, even if another unit on the same battlefield is not equiped exactly in the same way.

And for the special forces, even if the operators have the "standard look" there is still a lack of vehicles (the only one is the Panhard VFS from Footsore America).
You can play a nice scenario with a bunch of french special forces and their VFS on an airport, for example (like the Kidal operation in Mali).

I just want to see someone making a heavily armed Sherpa PLFS ("Poids Lourd Forces Spéciales" = special forces truck), for example :
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 01:03:52 PM by tancrede »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 08:52:26 PM »
That would be cool to see. Might need to slip the idea to some of the 3d model design guys.  : :D

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 02:34:04 AM »
Well I tried to order thirty euros of minis in 15mm but just received a "we do not ship to your area" result on the cart. I emailed the contact so I hope they can make some arrangements.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
Now ships to Canada. Merci!

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 08:39:12 AM »
It's cool to see those minis on the way on the other side of the ocean !
Be careful, they are made in printing resin, so they break easily.

For me, I now have finished the 600m team, and the first combat group is ready for action :

And more to come soon, as I've received more minis from JJG Print :

- second combat group :

- AAFN1 machinegun :

- and special forces heavy sniping team :
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:01:09 PM by tancrede »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 12:37:25 PM »
It's cool to see those minis on the way on the other side of the ocean !
Be careful, they are made in printing resin, so they break easily.

Thank you for the heads up. I have some 6mm printed tanks and all the tiny machine gun barrels were lost quickly. If they are given a few coats of clear after painting does that help at all?

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
Some said me that a thin coat of glue on the little parts can help.
But for now I've broken 3 FAMAS barrels, and replaced them with a thin metal rod and at gaming distance, you can't see the difference. If it does the same with your 15mm minis, try to use som pins.

But it's a problem due to the printing resin, very crisp and not soft enough to be deformed.
The best I can say to you is to be careful with the minis and handle them only by base, even for painting.
I have some 6mm too (eldars for Epic Armageddon) and I've had the same problem (especially with blades).

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
Dipping in thinned PVA might help?