Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW Rohan building kits, how it works  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
GW Rohan building kits, how it works
« on: March 02, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »
As I have shown elsewhere I am very happy with the boxed Rohan Settlement I purchased before Christmas. You can check the result of my first build in this post

Since I find it such a nifty and high quality kit I'd though I'd show you, step by step, how I go about using the sprues.

Let me first say that I am in no way affiliated or sponsored by Games Workshop (In fact, I nurture a deeply rooted displeasure with the company for various ancient poorly founded reasons). I am just very content with this particular kit.

First lets take a look at the sprue.

The kit is plastic, injection molded polystyrene, dark grey in color and in a hard durable quality. The details are crisp, with a convincing wood grain and straw roofing. There is very little flash. You need two of these frames to build a basic building.

Let's take a look at the wall pieces...

There are two long two-sided wall pieces, making a total of four unique designs. One plain plank wall; one with a door; two with windows, slitted and lead.

The short pieces have less variation...

One with a lead window and one with a shuttered window. The slanted pieces are obviously for the gable. There are two pieces per fram, each identical, which means you can chose a horisontal och vertical planked construction.

A basic house comes together like this:

You need four long wall pieces, two short, four gable pieces, two straw roof pieces and a number of connector pieces for corners or long ends.

There are some additional parts you can use to make the building pretty:

What you see here are pieces for a bay window, vestibules, a couple of variants of gables, barrels and some bridles and reins to hang on the walls (a rather nice little detail, adding to that Horselords feel).

The really cool thing with these pieces is that the can come together in almost endless number of variations, with no to a little cutting up of pieces.

If you are willing to fork out dosh for four to five sets you could do this...

...the entry to a rather impressive longhouse, like Meduseld, the Golden Hall of Edoras itself!

As you could see in the link above, my first build was a yarded farm (with a "tun" as the vikings would have said). It was not the easiest of builds as I wanted removable roofs and a custom made fireplace.

Next, I will show you a fairly easy *and* complex build, as I do a farriers smithy.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:49:43 PM by Hammers »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: GW Rohan building kits, how it works
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
Great information. My wife and I hope to get our hands on some of these in the future.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »
Great start mate  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »
Very cool  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »
Thanks chaps!

Now for the next build...

I could ramble on for ages about my thoughts on this build but let us just say that a Rohan settlement without a farrier's smithy would not be believable.

This build is one of the smaller you can do with standard parts: to long wall pieces, one short, a bay window piece, and the door opening for the vestibule sub kit. AS you can see I cut out the doors, simply because I wanted the shed to be open.

This build is actually too small for the standard thatched roof piece. Just as well, as section II, paragraph 9 of teh Rohan building code,  clearley states that constructions with a open fireplace require a turf roof.

I cut two pieces of styrene to shape and scored them, like so...

I also cut a wave on one side of each piece as I wanted the roof to be sagging.

The gap was simply covered with masking tape. In my neck of the woods, turf roads are backed with split wood shingles ans several layers of birch bark. That's why I glued strips of syrene to the lower edge to the roof as I wanted them to stick out under the turf.

An observant person may notice that I have turned the horse heads of the rafters to be facing down, just to get som variation on a theme.

And yes, it is that awful cad, whatshisname, who is posing for size comparison.

Unfortunately I did not take som progress photo of the turfing process but I basically did it like this: I made a mix of paper mache and white glue which I spread on the roof, sculpting it with a wet finger to a semi-rough surface. It take some time to dry but the result is a quite passable uneven dirt surface.

If you've seen my previous build you can see it is painted in a grey tones, like aged untreated woods. It is something I've nicked from GWs painting tutorials and I think it works very well to set a Rohan theme. For the farrier's smithy I wanted something darker so I thought I'd try to emulate tarred wood and it's color transitions from red-black to gold to yellow tan. For that reason sprayed the shack in van Dyke brown, the roof to.

I wanted the forge part to be sheds around a yard, with the forge, anvils, tools etc., visible. So I started the usual fucking about with scoring model lumber, razor saws, sanding fitting, swearing and, as per usual, lots of lots of cutting my finger tips off.

Since I am a myopic nutter I even detailed the bits of roof *which simply wont be seen*, like the planks under the turf. Please, pass on the number to a good therapist, someone...

I tried to find some referense illustrations of vaguely Dark Age/Early Medieval forge chimney but ended up with a lot of non-convincing fantasy illustrations. The did most likely not look like this...

..but that's what they ended up looking in my build. I wanted something solid, like a kiln, so...

Turfing the shed was a lot of fun. Using various sorts of tuft renders good results quite rapidly.

I then prepped a mix of flock, static grass, foam and that dust like material I can't remember the name of, all in various greens and some browns and yellows. After brushing on diluted white glue on the non-tufted parts of the roof, is sprinkled the mix on it.

If you want a terrain piece to really come alive, it is always good to strew tools and trinkets around it.

The coalbox is scratch built, all the other things are shit from my bitz boxes which have waited quite some time to be put to use. Can't even remember where I got the anvil set. Probably from an O scale model train shop.

And that's pretty much it!

If you want to see the completed and assembled Rohan farrier's smithy, I have put some glamour shots here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:20:03 PM by Hammers »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:07:52 PM »
Love it, especially the turf roof  8)

(Last link doesn’t work)

Also, can I ask, just out of idle curiosity, where’s the landscape plan from/for?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
Love it, especially the turf roof  8)

Thanks! Yes, I am quite pleased myself.

(Last link doesn’t work)

Amended.

Also, can I ask, just out of idle curiosity, where’s the landscape plan from/for?

Yes you can. It is of my garden.

I am of course shitting you. I believe it is of the park of a manor house south of the town where I grew up. My mother is a bit of an expert on historical parks, so I think she was involved in its preservation.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:38 PM »
That’s a really good run through with outstanding results   8)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 12:03:31 AM »
A friend of mine just got an additional order of their kits from somewhere...she also grabbed a few of the WizKids Deep Cuts Vikings set for additional detail pieces for it and some interiors

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 04:47:15 AM »
I am with Mr.B- the whole building is wonderful but the turf roof is top shelf shizzle. ;D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 05:59:59 AM »
Cracking work H. I do love a turf roof,the colours on the wood are excellent too :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.