Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690326
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What pom pom colour for French command?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
What pom pom colour for French command?
« on: March 15, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
Just threw some old esci French on the table as I've found two units they can be used for accurately (they are mislabled as waterloo) but I'm stuck on pom pom colours.

I know now that it's red/green/sky blue/orange/violet/yellow green from gren through to volt companies.
Where I'm stuck is on the command figures, I'm making battalions of 24 figs - 6 companies, 4 per company and the command will have to sit somewhere, probably as either 2nd or 3rd fusilier company.....or......

Do I add a 7th company for 28 figures and just paint the officer, standard bearer, drummer and sgt with any colour pom pom I like?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I have looked but don't really know for sure and want to be certain.

Thank you for any advice.

Ryan
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: What pom pom colour for French command?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
Osprey, as usual, makes it as clear as mud.

February 1811 decree: Only senior officers to wear plumes: white for colonel, red over white for major, red for chef de bataillon with "white pompoms for other officers and staff NCOs, red for genadiers, yellow for voltigeurs, and for each of the companies.....dark greem...sky blue....aurore....violet".

Now I'd say that means white but, because the sentence doesn't stop, does it mean that grenadier and voltigeur officers had red or yellow?

I take it that staff NCOs are the sergeant major types, rather than plain old company sergeants but, again, it doesn't exactly say what a staff NCO is.

To be honest, I've always been quite confused about this because I have plenty of pictures of officers with 'company pompoms' as per the rank and file (particularly in the 1806 uniform).

On top of that, of course, a lot of decrees about uniform were simply ignored. Plumes were definitely still worn by the grenadiers and voltigeurs of some regiment's well after this date.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:50:25 PM by olicana »

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »
Thanks,
It is confusing for such a small thing.
I'll have to go digging deep on this one I think.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
White pompoms were typical for junior officers of the fusilier companies, while plumes (of the same colour as the rank-and-file) were typical for officers of elite companies.  As always, there were odd regimental variations on the theme.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
White pompoms were typical for junior officers of the fusilier companies, while plumes (of the same colour as the rank-and-file) were typical for officers of elite companies.  As always, there were odd regimental variations on the theme.

That is perfectly simple, makes it so much easier.

Thanks a bunch, I'll crack on with them at once

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:02:38 PM »
I am a real rookie compared to most folks on here but the source I generally refer to first is this one...

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/napoleonic_uniforms.html

Sadly, I do not see anything about pompon colors for officers above company level... but it could be that I just overlooked it.

I would guess however that it is likely down to the whims of the Battalion and Regimental commanders.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/