Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:46:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How do we make our hobby more environmentally friendly  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
How do we make our hobby more environmentally friendly
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:24:06 PM »
Something playing on my mind, especially given all the glues, plastics and chemicals our hobby generates is how do we make our hobby more environmentally friendly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta3nbOfJS8&ab_channel=SukantaBala

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: How do we make our hobby more environmentally friendly
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 09:37:55 PM »
Video unavailable

This video contains content from Netflix, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 09:41:40 PM »
It was just a link to David Attenborough's testament - A Life on Our Planet.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:57:23 PM »
I doubt that the wargamers total footprint is very large but I supose everything counts. I am hoping for organic substitute for petrochemically produces acrylics. I am not very keen on converting to oil paints based on linseed oil, turpentine and earth pigments.

I hear LEGO is going to be produced in organic plastics by 2020 (?). It would be nice to see plastic kit manufacturers follow suit.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 10:19:39 PM »
Plant a tree for every miniature you paint.

Buy only from those manufacturers who simply dump all their miniatures into a jiffy bag or box and dispense with bubble wrap, packing peanuts and even zip lock bags.

Alternatively only buy locally and reduce your carbon footprint.

Construct all your terrain from recycled materials. Cereal box card, paper machê, egg boxes and the like.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 12:36:27 AM »
Every time I paint a bunch of figures I go for a walk with a pocket full of acorns. I drop one every two hundred yards...
my conscience is clear.

:)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:38:39 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 12:45:39 AM »
I suspect a significant part is to simply buy less. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

I know I'm guilty of buying lots of stuff that just sits unpainted and unplayed.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 02:22:27 AM »
I understand there is the common attitude "everything counts!", but the reality is that wargaming - as a hobby - is absolutely minuscule compared to almost everything else you do.

A plastic milk jug contains about as much plastic as several sprues of models, and people go through several of those a week, etc.  If you're feeling self-conscious about it, recycle your plastic sprues or figures if you really want to.  You can email companies about their packaging methods, etc.  However, there are a multitude of other far more useful things you should concentrate on first.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 02:40:00 AM »
My household has always recycled what we can. Though it is questionable that our local recycling programs are effective at all given what I have read the last few years.  Hobby waste is way down the list of things I would worry about. 

How much garbage some of my neighbors generate with the same size families is surprising.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 06:20:52 AM »
I don't think that wargaming or building plastic kits is a problem for the environment. You can put together the environmental foot print of the production of every wargaming company -GW included-, paint, model kits, glues manufacturers, ecc, since the first plastic kit was in the market to the present and would be a fraction of the footprint for a single car company in one week. So I came to the conclusion that any effort to recycle or reduce my wargaming "environmental footprint" would be an irrelevancy and that it is more important that I got rid of my car and use public transport only -or a rental or car sharing, if absolutely necessary-; take care of not using more electricity or water than I really need and try to recycle as much as I possibly can.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
A plastic milk jug contains about as much plastic as several sprues of models, and people go through several of those a week, etc.

Quite a lot of plastic milk jugs appear to be recyclable these days.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »
My household has always recycled what we can. Though it is questionable that our local recycling programs are effective at all given what I have read the last few years.  Hobby waste is way down the list of things I would worry about. 

How much garbage some of my neighbors generate with the same size families is surprising.

This is true. For me, it is also a question of staying in a mind se ät and s habit, rather than calculate the impact of every single choice and action. That is why I keep separating waste etc.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 09:14:58 AM »
All a load of bollocks anyway, is recycling!
I used to work at an award winning municipal waste incinerator, all your bin rubbish and carefully sorted recycling crap went there, some of it to be magically, turned into electricity! The bin rubbish was the licence to print money going straight in the furnace, the re-cycled stuff was mere cynical lip service to the Environment Agency.
Have a guess wot happened to all the crap you lot so dutifully sorted out for us into various boxes, bins and wotnots when it snowed? No bin rubbish to burn meant no gorging on the golden goose, so we incinerated all yer re-cycled crap under the cover of darkness, and maintained throughput/profit to the grid.
Best carry on assiduously washing and polishing yer baked bean tins though, it kind of makes you feel good all over, dunnit?

lol

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »
Time to lock the thread please.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 09:58:00 AM »
Wondered about this ages ago.

Suffice to say the Wargames industry is so immensely small as to have such a negligible impact on environmental issues as to really not be worth going haywire over. It's a relatively small community, and barring organisations like GW most companies are still garage bands with tight profit margins and turnover. It is worth noting though GW now increasingly have limited production runs and have been forced to utilize green energy to supplement their input. This is due to Nottingham Council refusing to increase their energy allotment after they expanded their warehouse/factory and is also one of the reasons why they're rumored to be considering a move.

In this instance I think any steps someone takes to be environmentally friendly with their hobby is just a case of personal choice/satisfaction. Which is fine and honorable etc.

Though same could be said for a lot of personal decisions that are environmentally motivated, as environmental concerns are predominantly driven by macro events and industries. Relatively speaking my lovely Diesel Volkswagen Scirocco is probably doing more damage than any hundred miniature projects on this forum combined!

Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if here in the U.K we followed the Norwegian model of recycling etc which literally encourages people to clean up on the basis you're 'renting' packaging. But that is a conversation that takes place well outside the realms of the wargaming hobby as it impacts on everything.