Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Finished Collecting and Painting...Play Only  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Finished Collecting and Painting...Play Only
« on: March 04, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »
I've got a goal in mind, but it feels so outlandish...I'm looking to see if others have done the same.

Has anyone painted up what they think they need to have for the various genres/eras/games that interest them and have called it a day on the collecting and painting side of the hobby and now just relax and enjoy games with the fruits of their labor? I'm wondering if I can get to that kind of point.  A few different factions for the genres that interest me so to keep things interesting and repayable, then just sit back and strictly play games when the opportunity arises. Maybe only buying some new rulesets to try with my completely painted collection.

So... anyone close to something like this? Would you even consider it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:35:55 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Finished Collecting and Painting...Play Only
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
some people says it is dangerous for health!  lol

Seriously, I said that several times... of course there is the end of a specific project, rather than the end of painting-collecting. Also  I tend to find painting relaxing, and a good way to keep me away from the screen... so it is not really an issue. 

Of course if painting is a chore, I can understand the whole point of wanting to be done with it!
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 02:49:52 PM »
It sounds like a pipe dream to me. I'm convinced it's a life sentence for most of us  lol

I find myself trying to focus only to find inspiration in new figure ranges or veering off at a tangent with existing projects. That said, I'm finding having too much stuff a burden. Consequently, I've been dumping the spoil pile from the lead mountain for a year or so. It's shrinking, albeit at a glacial pace. It's really quite liberating and the freed up space and PayPal balance are a welcome bonus.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 03:09:30 PM »
It sounds like a pipe dream to me. I'm convinced it's a life sentence for most of us  lol

I find myself trying to focus only to find inspiration in new figure ranges or veering off at a tangent with existing projects. That said, I'm finding having too much stuff a burden. Consequently, I've been dumping the spoil pile from the lead mountain for a year or so. It's shrinking, albeit at a glacial pace. It's really quite liberating and the freed up space and PayPal balance are a welcome bonus.

Most definitely Amen to that brother.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »
A very noble sentiment but, the mere babblings of a demented mind!
I've made a command decision that when the current project is complete the paints and brushes are on furlough for the summer campaign of playing with what's been created.
Project 'Yesteryear' is on the home straight. It's based on Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames system with six units a side who battle it out over 30 scenarios. All the toys are Airfix WW2 models, the really naff ones from 50 years ago, with which I plan to play two scenarios a week throughout this summer. Till this goal is achieved not another toy bought, or paintbrush lifted!

::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:23:13 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »
Yes! No! What? Stop collecting, panting and simply play. What madness!  lol

Actually I have slowed the collecting part way down and try to play more then I have in years past . But as others have said I find painting therapeutic and so will always collect a few things. I have moved from mass army games to skirmish gaming which helps.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:55:16 PM »
What is this filth?!  :o >:(

Where's a moderator when you need one?!

Unclean!!!
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »
No painting, just playing - that's basically the opposite of my hobby life over the past few months!

I do enjoy the social aspect of games and I like the way games give you a target or a reason to make or paint a particular thing, but painting stuff has always been the main part of the hobby for me. Painting is not a means to an end, it is itself the source of enjoyment and satisfaction.  I tend to flit between painting projects to avoid getting bored, but I cannot imagine ever wanting to stop painting altogether.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
I enjoy both slapping paint on and playing so  guess will stick with both until I can't do either.

As long as I have enough stuff available for either, good enough for me.

I am though not buying very much now.... ::)

please don't ask me to define how long/large/short a period of time "now" refers to..

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 06:15:16 PM »
No. I intend that in death my hordes of unpainted metal keep me company in the Great Beyond, while my soul continues in its unending search of the Holy Grail, aka the Perfect Napoleonic Ruleset. In order to (un)complete this quest I must hoard as many miniatures as possible. Gaming is just a secondary goal to keep me entertained in the meanwhile.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:16:55 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »
No. I intend that in death my hordes of unpainted metal keep me company in the Great Beyond, while my soul continues in its unending search of the Holy Grail, aka the Perfect Napoleonic Ruleset. In order to (un)complete this quest I must hoard as many miniatures as possible. Gaming is just a secondary goal to keep me entertained in the meanwhile.
This is The Way.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 06:51:07 PM »
I'm at the stage where the mountains are flattened and I'm thinking that I should actually make an effort to build more terrain and play with all the painted figures. Trying hard not to buy any more figures, envision new projects etc., but realistically I know that at some point I'll need specific figures for a scenario etc. that I haven't got, but instead of hoarding I'll buy as and when I need them and get them painted ASAP!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 07:04:25 PM »
Guys fear not  !  Nature has designed a solution , it’s called Failing Eyesight. I’ve been known , in the dim and distant, to sit up into the wee small hours painting figures. Not anymore , now it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night ...... 🤭

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 07:14:42 PM »
I'd say yes and no.

I think it would depend entirely on what genres interest you.  If, for instance, you're singularly obsessed with one thing - let's say, the American Civil War.  I think it's entirely possible for your to reach a point where you have suitable armies and terrain to simply play the game in any way you enjoy.  Perhaps you find the perfect rules set, etc.

However, if you like a lot of genres, the allure will be too much - new projects, new miniature lines, new games, new rules sets, new terrain released, etc.  There are always more "things" to acquire if you like multiple genres.

I think "completing" a project is fully reasonable.  Even if "completing" means being 99% done and simply adding one or two things a year as you get bored/see fit.  For instance my Old West project is more or less done.  I have all the terrain I need, most of the minis I need, etc.  However after two years of nothing I decided to up and buy a train the other month.  The gladiator collection I have for Furt's marvelous game is complete...unless I stumble upon a particularly stunning miniature I desire, etc.

I thoroughly enjoy being "done" with a project - to a point where it is fully playable and lacks nothing serious.  It's fun to be able to just add one or two minis, or a single terrain piece every six months when the desire strikes.  So to that level - I'd say you can absolutely get there.

Even as I say this, I know, already, what my next "big" project is.  As long as you don't have another project planned...I think you can absolutely trim down heavily on the collecting/building/painting.  There is a joy in someone saying "Let's play X!" and you simply open up your bins and pull it out and play it - much as you would a board game.  It's nice to have it all squared away and on deck.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 10:01:35 PM »
I’m almost at that point. Ran out of unpainted stuff recently and had to buy some more, but when the current list of 8 or so units is complete that will be me done. I will have enough! I have ancients, gladiators, dark age, crusades, ECW, 7YW, Napoleonics, Pirates, ACW, Wild West, Zulu War, WW2, Age of Sail, WW1 and 2 ships and WW1 and 2 aircraft.