Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting chequered horse comparison  (Read 737 times)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Painting chequered horse comparison
« on: March 04, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »
I used an old technique of marking the chequered pattern by initially marking it out with a pencil, but rather than draw it freehand I cut a thin piece of paper and marked it out in 5mm segments.

Prior to working on the lines, I painted the whole barding in the lighter base colour, in this case a light grey.

I drew a line down the back of the neck and body to give me a centre-line to work from.
I then placed one end of the paper on the centre-line to mark out the horizontal and vertical lines. When you get round to the neck area I extended the lines up from the shoulder area and tapered them to the back of the horse's head.
The head was then marked out.

I then used a Micron 005 pen to define the lines and overpainted any errors with the base coat.

Once I was happy with the pattern, I blocked in the alternate squares with black - make sure you start from the centre-line and work out from there to the bottom edge otherwise you can end up with a mismatch when you get to the opposite side.

Then paint in the required colours.

For the shield patterns,  I measured the size of the shield and placed it on a gridded piece of paper and used that to mark off the lines.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Painting chequered horse comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 08:29:32 PM »
That has come out very well, and it seems using a nice simple and practical technique