Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genesis of Junta  (Read 1840 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Genesis of Junta
« on: March 04, 2021, 09:15:41 PM »
Not sure this is kosher, but here goes:

The board game Junta was born from a couple tin soldier games. The tale is here: https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-genesis-of-junta.html
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Genesis of Junta
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 11:23:48 PM »
Junta was a great game yes my brother and I used it with miniatures.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:10:43 AM »
Good Lord, you wrote Junta??!!   :o

We are not worthy!!!  :-*

Junta remains the greatest boardgame of all time.  I've even done it as a Republican Roman game (with a greatly-expanded range of Character Assassins  :D ).
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »
Junta remains the greatest boardgame of all time.  I've even done it as a Republican Roman game (with a greatly-expanded range of Character Assassins  :D ).
Brutus & I wouldn't mind a stab at that.

Offline Tordelback

• Student
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
Not sure this is kosher, but here goes:

The board game Junta was born from a couple tin soldier games. The tale is here: https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-genesis-of-junta.html

I feel like I've touched greatness just by reading your post. Junta remains one of the most memorable games of my early convention-going days. You should be very proud.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
I pull my hat to you Sir! I had quite a few hours of fun playing the German edition back in my youth and I fondly remember having my friend's brother killed every time (no matter whomever he played).  lol

It was one of the games we absolutely played loud. Laughter, swearing and yelling annoyed neighbors and parents alike...

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »
A great game with real legs. We still play it from time to time. A Junta inspired multiplayer game of AK47 is on my to do list.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »
Thank you much, guys.

The original tin soldier games were done with 25mm Napoleonic figures. My Minifigs Prussians stood in for Habsburg forces. British, French and anything else made up the street mobs. The city was laid out with books. The downtown area in government control consisted of large hardcover books, with wide straight avenues. The less tony parts of town were made of paperbacks with narrow streets. There were parks and squares here and there. The university campus was behind government lines with a student mob in place. In the first game the students made three attempts to get off campus, stopped each time by musket volleys. They almost closed the thrid time, but were too shot-up to try again.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 12:13:58 PM »
Good Lord, you wrote Junta??!!   :o

We are not worthy!!!  :-*

Thank you. I joked about making a bunch of sausage-style sequels, like Rome with three legions around the city and Praetorians guarding the palace, or Weimar with three Freikorps around Berlin, etc, etc.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »
Thank you. I joked about making a bunch of sausage-style sequels, like Rome with three legions around the city and Praetorians guarding the palace, or Weimar with three Freikorps around Berlin, etc, etc.
Yes, that was essentially it.  Instead of the Bank we had Crassus' House.  There was also plenty of opportunity for comedy 'Asterix' names.  Sadly I can remember very little of it now, as we did it as our Bar Game at Warcon (in 1995ish) at the end of two days and nights of solid gaming and drinking...  :D

I do remember one of the character assassins though, who went by the name of Labia Inflagrantia Delectia...

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:37 AM »
Mr. Tsao,
Thank you for Junta.  It has been played as a miniatures game at many a convention.  I have seen it in 15mm 20mm and 28mm.  The figures have been everything from the twenties to the 90s. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:34:00 AM by leadfool »
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 11:05:10 PM »
I echo my congratulations on an enduring and ridiculously fun game. We have even had  a series of Pulp Alley miniatures games with player forces inspired by Junta. Thanks for many hours of enjoyment!!

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 12:30:39 AM »
Junta was a wonderful game.  At our old club we played so often that we wore out our copy of the game, purchased a new one and wore it out as well.