Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:12:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Source of Fantasy Conversion Bits  (Read 1241 times)

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
Source of Fantasy Conversion Bits
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
Hello, I'm looking for a good source of fantasy conversion bits. Something like what Anvil Industries or Victoria Miniatures do for Sci-Fi, but with more chainmail and stabby things. I'm planning an Arnor force for LOTRs which will have to be entirely converted. I could do it by purchasing multiple full kits, but I'd really like to avoid that. 3d printing is also an option.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Source of Fantasy Conversion Bits
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
Miniatures of the North has some nice helmets that might do.

But really, you're asking for pretty specific conversion bits.

What do "Arnor" forces look like, for example?  Normans w. kite shields?

And then scale is another thing. I suspect you are not looking for heroic 32mm which probably rules out the GW Bitz sellers on ebay.

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »

But really, you're asking for pretty specific conversion bits.

It’s the opposite actually, Arnor is OOP, so they can look how I want. My reference to Anvil Industry conversion bits is essentially asking for a seller that makes a broad range of bits, but instead of Anvils Sci-Fi, I’m hoping for Fantasy. I’m just not sure if that exists anywhere.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 04:35:23 PM »
My impression is that many folks on LAF (me included) are basing their fantasy conversions on kit bashing hard plastic figures. Knight-Commander Tyr’s threads are great examples, but there are lots more. By mixing plastic historical figures, such as Saxons by Victrix or War of the Roses by Perry Miniatures, with fantasy parts made by Fireforge or Northstar, they are getting great results. The Oathmark and Frostgrave boxes have so many surplus bits on each sprue, you can make the figures up as designed and still kit bash a dozen or more historical bodies with each box.

It is almost as if the sheer number of plastic kits available that are suitable for fantasy conversions makes resin bits like Anvil’s sci-fi lines redundant for fantasy gaming. That said, if someone started manufacturing an extensive range of fantasy bits, I would probably buy those as well!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 04:49:33 PM »
Frostgrave plastics...all day.  Almost all of their kits come festooned with random additional bits.  Bags, lanterns, ropes, every weapon imaginable...the wizard kit is loaded with every conceivable familiar, etc.

Wizard example:

Combing them with a variety of Fire Forge or Gripping Beast kits, etc.  If you mean a "build your own fantasy army" style resin manufacturer - that I do not know of.  I'd poke around and look at the sprues for all of the various Frostgrave kits and see if any of them match your interest.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!