Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Guard's Guard's. (Ancient Barbarian on horse back finished)  (Read 14754 times)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Guard's Guard's. All 19 sculpts ( so far.) 24/03.
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »
Cohen is useful from my point of view as I'd bought the rerelease set of Barbarians Nic mentioned last year.So he'll tie the barbarians in as another warband/ faction.

Does this mean you're going to do the whole Silver horde?

Hoping for Mad Hamish and his wheelchair.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2021, 12:00:11 AM »
Possibly as I always fancied a sort of Seven Samurai game. with them.

I've just about finished his horse ( it's a lot easier to make a rider to fit a horse .Than the other way round.)

Although Chris is casting the first 16 ( and the foster mother of dragon's.)
Not everything I sculpt is going to be cast.As I've still got tge League's original challenge to complete. Plus what ever figures I feel would work with in the bounds of a game.
Plus I've still got to paint the bloody thing's.

This thread has ended up being a double topic. As it's something that I'm doing for myself and posting on here.But ends up with parts of it being sculpts that go on to be commercial pieces as well.( like pretty much every other topic I've done of late  ::)).

It could well be that My interpretation of Cohen becomes a commercial cast.If it's a voted for stretch goal.As I'll have a sculpt already done.There would be little point sculpting another ancient Barbarian hero.when It's sat just waiting for painting.
Equally it could just as easily be a one off sculpt.I paint up for my own use.
Whatever stretch goal requests Chris gets .I'll have to sculpt.
They'll still be relevant to my personal project. So they'll end up on the thread.As it's my hobby project thread not a commercial one.
In short it's turning into another thread with a split personality.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
Do you paint your masters, or do you cast them first and paint the casts?

The few figures I've (badly) sculpted I could never bring myself to paint, because that would be them "gone". I have no such problems with conversions, just the scratchbuilt ones.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Guard's Guard's. (Ancient Barbarian WIP started.29/03)
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »
Here's a couple of progress shots of the Barbarians' horse.
Obviously I still need to detail the front of the shield. I've not quite made my mind up the style of shield boss.

Definitely paint them it's the best way to improve your sculpting. It helps you understand what you've actually sculpted not what you think you've sculpted. As they're very often completely different to what you thought you'd pushed into clay
 They're not lost once you've painted them .Its simply the first phase of a complete figure. ( besides if your not happy with what you've painted then' Bio strip 20' will bring you nack to bare clay without harming your figure.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »
Wow, beautiful horse!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
Lovely. What do you material do you sculpt in?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Guard's Guard's. (Ancient Barbarian on horse back finished)
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »
Cheers one and all.

Had a little difficulty in getting the camera to pick up the right hand detail.  ( it'll show up well enough once it's painted) his right hand is in an inverted fist with his little finger digging for potatoes as my grandfather would say.( stuck in his ear.)

Mrj. Zemjw.

I'll pop some pictures over on my workbench thread of both painted master and the different clays used.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2021, 06:19:13 PM »
Totally love this guy!

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2021, 08:47:21 PM »
Cohen is AWESOME!

I'm assuming you have Troll Bridge...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
Lovely,the horse is really good,a must have!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
 :D great work!!!!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2021, 12:53:49 PM »
A quick update on project and plea for help!!
We have made great progress on getting Mark's Guards Guard moulded and cast, Jon our very talented painter has a set and is looking to get them painted next week. As soon as we get the painted miniatures to photograph, we will put a Kickstarter together and get the show on the road, hopefully hitting lots of stretch goals for extra sculpts from Mark including the lovely Barbarian on horseback.
Jon asked me this morning for painting notes, and to be honest I don't have any! So I was hoping that Mark (or any other Pratchet fans) might be able to help out by adding some background information about each miniature. I have added a number for each miniature to the photographs. It would be great to know the name of the character the model is 'inspired by', a short description, the Frostgrave character type best suited to, and any painting / color notes that would help Jon, (such as No 7, is noted in the books to always wear a pea-green waistcoat with a scarlet & white spotted handkerchief cascading from pocket).

I know it was Marks original intention to make these to suit two 'crews' for Frostgrave. Are there some characters that should go together in the same warband?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:58:36 PM by Chris Abbey »
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »
1.  Sgt Fred Colon - the living embodiment of a perpetual Sergeant (normally to be found with Cpl Nobbs).

2. Cpl Nobby Nobbs - widely believed to be a dwarf, but actually human.  Scruffy, smelly, most likely to be found with an old dog-end and a concealed knife.

3, 4, 5, 7 - think these are generic Watch members.

6.  Cpl (later Captain) Carrot Ironfoundersson.  Tall, red haired, broad shouldered orphan, found by Dwarves as a baby and raised by them to be a miner, until he made his way to Ankh-Morpork.  Thinks like a Dwarf, people find themselves standing to attention in his presence.

8. Captain (later Commander, Sir) Samuel Vimes - tough, salt of the earth, steely eyed leader of the Night Watch (later the City Watch).

9.  Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully  - head of the Unseen University - Like all Wizards he will be dressed mainly in red (including the hat).  A rural gent of the type that shouts loudly and shoots things.  Has survived numerous assassination attempts through cunning and guile.

10...not sure which wizard this is...

11. Rincewind - usually found running from danger, accidentally read the most powerful spell ever and saved the Discworld from the creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions.  Played by David Jason in the TV adaptations of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.  Has the misspelt "Wizzard" in silver on his hat.

12.  not sure which wizard this is...

13.  not sure

14.  Could be Hargar from Hargar's House of Ribs ?

15.  The Librarian - a wizard accidentaly morphed into an orangutan - found the extra length and strength of his arms to be useful when navigating the bookshelves in the Library, so didn't want to be changed back.  Says "OOK!"   a lot.  Good friend to Rincewind.

16.  Igor - one of the many Igors and Igorinas that inhabit Uberwald and have now spread to Ankh-Morpork.  Makes an excellent surgeon.  Think of all the lisping, patched-together sidekicks of the evil Professor/Doctor/ Vampires in the old movies.  Fond of saying "Yeth Marthter".

17.  Lady Sybil Vimes (nee Ramkin) - Patron of The Sunshine Sanctuary for sick, abused or abandoned Swamp Dragons.  A large Wagnerian and aristocratic lady (old, old money) who is almost as fierce and scary as the Swamp Dragons that she breeds.  Usually found wearing stout boots, a toughened leather apron, a green coat with lots of pockets and a wig as most of her naturally auburn hair has been singed off.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2021, 07:05:05 PM »
Chris Odd little wobble their. lol
Jon colours in toys for a living. He's already spoken to me about my thoughts on colour schemes .Just to see if he was on the right track before he gets out his crayons.
I'll be colouring them in a different style to my Pulp and Homefront stuff.As I've still the original premise to complete.
Thargor,
As what I'm making isn't a direct one for one character rendering .Its inspired by the world of Terry Pratchet .It sounds like semantics .But its not. I'm not using Pratchets discriptions or official images of characters as source.Rather half sentences that and situations that spring to mind from them .Such as running too enthusiastically towards an unkown situation. Which lead to a figure running with a lantern. Or a figure Inspired by " no bloody flying lizard does that to me!"

(It's a subtle but important difference . I'm not making NOT ;) DR Who figures and having 'witty' plays on the original characters names.)

So I'll leave the naming of characters to others as name figures as certain characters risks. Turning this into a 'NOT'.

I don't sculpt 'NOT'ranges. It's where the issue lies with the thread. There are two conversations going on with in it that keep getting crossed.
I'm doing a personal project.Which is to draw it's inspiration from the book Guard's Guard's. Not render direct copies of each character in the book. I personally only need the initial figures to build a warband.
You chaps liked the figures So Chris is casting them as a fantasy kickstarter.
So I think I'll close down my input on this thread.In order to separate both projects.
My progress/ personal project will transfer over to my Fantasy thread.( might motivate me to get the castle finished)
Any sculpting that I do for me will end up their or my workbench thread.
That way I can enjoy the concept .With out worrying that this becomes seen as nothing more than a Not a Disc world range.
Which isn't at all what it's intended to be.
I'm not disgruntled in any way by anyone's comments I've enjoyed them . It just makes sense to separate the topic and take it back to it's hobby origins.
(I'll still need Frostgrave advice ,character suggestions. Just with out the assumption that if it's sculpted it'll be a commercial thing.)

All the best.

Mark.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2021, 08:27:17 AM »
Sorry Mark,
Looks like it's me that's hijacked your thread so I'll start a new one for the Kickstarter / Fantasy range.
Not having a wobble, just Jon asked me what colors to paint them and I realized that I didn't have a clue what was inspired by what so was looking for some help from those that new to give me some ideas for names, colors and if some figures went better with others to make two warbands. I was thinking that most likely reply would come direct from you with some ideas, but if Jon's already talked to you, that's great. Perhaps it's best to wait until I get the painted miniatures in front of me, and then with no Discworld bias as I don't think I've read any for 30 years or so, wait to see what names and back stories pop into my head!

Fully understand that they are not 'not discworld miniatures', just beautiful miniatures that I'm looking forward to playing some Frostgrave with.