Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:23:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686654
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting acrylic over oil-based paint? Is it Ok/acceptable or a huge mistake?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
Did you ever paint with acrylic paint over oil-based paint? If yes, did you have any bad experiences about that practice?

When I was painting my army, I used oil based goldfingers to paint some elements I thought were metal but as it turned out it’s a leather and I am repainting those elements. Anyway, I do not own at the moment any other oil paints than the metallic colours.
Is it safe to risk painting with acrylic over oil-based paint, then varnish or is it a big NO-NO?
What to do?

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Gonzo, by trade I am a master decorator and so have met this issue many times in the last year I have been painting miniatures.

Generally, if a metal is coated in oil, it becomes 'freecoat', that is to say, the metal is protected from the elements and can then be coated in any paint medium.

As a precaution, I would not paint metallic acrylic onto oil, give it an acrylic varnish first, then paint.

Other than that, good to go.
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Second that on that as I have done it quite a few times.  As long as the oils have set up completely you are good.  . 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
As long as the base layer is completely set. For artwork, you can paint oils over acrylic but not the reverse. But that’s artists oils we are talking about, not enamels.

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
Thank you for your advices. I did as Ranthony advised. I brushed a varnish all over the parts I was going to repaint and then I repainted them. Everything went perfectly well. I believe that it could be different if the oil paint wasn’t completely set. In this case, the figures were painted almost a year ago.